Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

F4i forks problem with wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
F4i forks problem with wheel spacers

so I was reading superblings writeup on f4i forks and decided to try it myself
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=1892

forks are on, stock f4i clip ons work, everything is going great

BUT when i put the front wheel on the spacing seems to be way off and the stock vtr axle seems to short and the stock vtr spacers seem to be to short as well??

how much play is in the forks to compress them inwards, i dont think there is much??
Old 07-13-2006, 07:12 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
To repeat what I said in my PM, I only used the F4i forks and triples; everything else was VTR. How short is short? Spacers backwards? Nevermind, that wouldn't matter in this instance.

I haven't looked at f4i item auctions in months but back then you could get axles easily. Since the forks bolted up for me, I didn't get the additional f4i pieces. I do run a VFR750 wheel BUT it bolts up to the stock VTR front end with no mods either (present condition too).
Old 07-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
if my measurements are correct i need an extra .205" on the right hand side

this is with the axle pushed into the left fork a little far so that spacer is ok

with this setup both calipers will have to be shimmed in a small amount
Old 07-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
when i measuere the distance from center of fork to center of fork in the upper tripple the f4i stuff is about 9-10mm larger than the vtr, this is center to center

so that kind of backs up .205# i measured since 9-10mm is .228-.254

I guess the other thin that would help is, should the wheel and brake rotors be centered between the fork legs or are they offset to one side
Old 07-13-2006, 01:24 PM
MotoGP

I'm afraid I'll muddy the waters a tad more since; yes I did shim the brakes BUT they were gixxer 6 piston units and they previously shimmed on the VTR forks.

After seeing your measurements, I've come to a conclusion: You're more **** than me on fitment (compliment). Using F4i spacers/axle would cinch up the bottom end better for you but I think you'd probably need to shim the calipers more. I was OK with it that way since the pinch bolts do the "heavy lifting" of keeping everything together and are unaffected. I don't torque the axle all that much, just get it snug.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:27 PM
MotoGP

Another thing; I just realized you can now upgrade your brakes too! (duh) Lot's of folks here running cbr units with good results.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
Originally Posted by superbling
Another thing; I just realized you can now upgrade your brakes too! (duh) Lot's of folks here running cbr units with good results.
i bought a complete f4i front end with calipers and ebc pads, that was a major benefit, if it all works i got triples, forks, clipons, calipers, lines, and pads for 350 shipped with 3k miles, so if it all work it will be one hell of a deal
Old 07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
Originally Posted by superbling
I'm afraid I'll muddy the waters a tad more since; yes I did shim the brakes BUT they were gixxer 6 piston units and they previously shimmed on the VTR forks.

After seeing your measurements, I've come to a conclusion: You're more **** than me on fitment (compliment). Using F4i spacers/axle would cinch up the bottom end better for you but I think you'd probably need to shim the calipers more. I was OK with it that way since the pinch bolts do the "heavy lifting" of keeping everything together and are unaffected. I don't torque the axle all that much, just get it snug.
i dont think that is it, when the axles are not being bound up, the wheel can float a little from side to side because the spacers/wheel is narrower than the distance between the forks, the gap is about .205 so I made a spacer to go in there and even it out
Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
well it runs and drives, took it around the block and it seems fine so far, gettin more gear on and taking a ride

The problem was solved by making some spacers, I will do a little write up tonight for those interested