General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Anybody ever ride without front wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Squid

Duckhawk is on a distinguished road
Anybody ever ride without front wheel spacers

Newbie here,

About 6 months ago, I upgraded from an '89 Hawkgt to an '02 Superhawk (I've been smiling as hard as I can since then).

When I got the bike, it was apparent that I needed new tires (which I put off until last week). I dropped it off at a local shop to have them install some michelin pilot road 2's and then I got a phone call from the service dude. He said: "You're not going to believe this, but the front wheel spacers were missing on your bike." He was right - at first I didn't believe him, but after talking with him for a while he struck me as a straight shooter that had a process that would have caught missing spacers.

Does it seem possible that I could have ridden (sometimes pretty aggressively) for about 6 months without front wheel spacers and not notice it?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
no you should really notice something like that. It would be sloppy as hell.

did you drop off the whole bike or just the wheels?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Squid

Dropped off the whole bike.
The dude claimed that although he had a process (a) put bike on lift, b) Indicate rotation of tire on discs with sharpie, c) remove tire, d) put spacers under corresponding forks, e) walk tire/wheel 10' to the tire machine, etc) he still hunted for the spacers that had to be there.
He then put the tire/wheel back on and discovered that the discs were kept in place well by the calipers.
Sorry for the long-winded reply, got a little carried away.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
no, it wouldn't work. the only thing allowing the wheel to firmly sit between the fork legs is the fact that the spacers make it one solid cylinder from nut - fork leg- spacer- bearing - distance collar- spacer - fork leg - nut. if it was tightened down without the correct spacing, the forks would not line up, calipers, rotors would be all bound/bent out of round..
Old 05-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Squid

Dang man...that makes sense. When I pick it up, I'm wondering if he's going to claim that whoever sold me the bike just tightened the fork clamp bolts (or whatever they're called) to prevent the forks from tweaking in. I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll report back.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Your "straight shooter" is blowing smoke up your ***. There is absolutely no way you would not notice missing wheel spacers. You would have destroyed the brakes/rotors and crashed the first sweeping turn you rode through.

Hey......I am selling a bridge.......interested?? Might have heard of it.... the Brooklyn Bridge? selling cheap. Let me know.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
You can definitely ride for prolonged periods with no spacers, simply refer to the "Superhawk and Wheelies" thread.

that is all.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Indeed something is not right in what he is saying. You wouldn't have been able to ride the bike without them.

Small side note: Indicating direction with sharpie shouldn't be needed as there are arrows on the rotors.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Squid

son of a bitch...starting to feel like an idiot
Old 05-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
Just tell him to show you how the bike rides when the spacers are out.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:04 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
the worst part for you is the guy is either taking you for a ride, or a terrible mechanic with little understanding of what is going on. Either way, would not for future reference.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
And people wounder I why I do all my own work and won't let anyone touch my bike......

I can't add anything to what has been said about how the bike won't work without spacers....... I would say ask him to ride the bike without spacers except I doubt you want to see your bike thrown in the ditch.

Sure the calipers can keep the wheel in place when stationary. As soon as things are spinning and you put a side load on it the semi-floating rotors will deflect around .250" or so. The would give you around .500" side play on your front wheel. I really think you might have noticed that...... and that is the best case scenario, in reality you would get even more side play and the rotors and brake pads would be destroyed in a matter of miles, if they didn't just lock up.

Tell the guy to get you some new spacers to replace the ones he lost as the guy is full of it. Even his "process" is a bunch of BS. If step "d" is to put the spacers under the corresponding fork leg, why didn't he just stop there and call you? Why the hell is he still looking for them when he gets to the tire machine?

I could go on but I think you get the point.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM
SuperBike

also ask him if it is a regular habit of his to get baked before doing mechanical work .

Baked mechanic:

"Doh! I can't find those wheel spacers... maybe there weren't any... damn I am hungry... where are the cheetos? What was I doing again?"

(Thoughts continue to ramble and hours later he calls hapless superhawk owner. Phone rings in backround)

Baked mechanic:

"Dude man bro, you have been riding around with no wheel spacers."

(Meanwhile the sound of cheetos being eaten in the backround and the high snickers of his fellow pals.)
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I disagree.
The axle fits the bearing ID closely. The rotors could probably support the lateral load on the front wheel, when cornering and keep the front wheel centered. But it sure woudn't feel right. It's certainly not safe.

It probably didn't have spacers. I don't know why the mechanic would make it up. Maye he did. Maybe he didn't.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
SuperBike

honestly though ever had a motorcycle with play in any of the wheels, even a 1/32 in play you can feel, it would feel sloppy and considering all the play would go into the brake pads it should feel gritty. Maybe more info from the original poster then, ever notice anything unsettling about the bike when cornering?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Squid

I haven't noticed any play at all. Compared to the old Hawkgt, it seems tight and responsive.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Duckhawk
I haven't noticed any play at all. Compared to the old Hawkgt, it seems tight and responsive.
Well let me ask you this. How were the front brakes? Was the lever firm or did you have to pump it up for the brakes to work?

The reason I ask this is any slop in the front wheel will cause it to wobble. This will cause the rotors to push the brake pads into the calipers. So in order for the brakes to work, you would need to pump the system up enough to have the pads contact the rotor.

This would feel like major brake fade at best, in fact that is how I diagnosed a wheel bearing going bad. The slight wobble caused by a bearing on the way out had me going through my entire front brake system until I finally checked the wheel bearing and found a bit of run out. Swapped out the bearings and the brake problem went away.

IMHO one bearing going out would induce less wheel side movement than missing spaces, so I really do thing you would have noticed them missing.

Then again, anything is possible....
Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Squid

Grasshopper is on a distinguished road
The dude lost your spacers.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Squid

Brakes were just fine the whole time, never had to pump 'em or anything
I think I'll print out this string, I'll have some herbal tea and we (me and the mechanic) will read the comments together.
I'll close with Grasshopper's last comment followed by "The End"
Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Back to this shop, take not your bike.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:34 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Each of those spacers is about an inch long. They do sit in a recess in the wheel hub, but IIRC they still protrude a half inch. I say there is no way the forks wouldn't hit the brake rotors. I'll look at mine when I get home.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
OK, my wheel is off the bike. Without spacers the forks hit the rotors. And not just a little bit. Furthermore it would be impossible to tighten the front axle. Sorry, but this guy is a Bozo. And if he's a mechanic he knows better, so he's worse than a Bozo.

BTW I checked bikebandit.com. The sell those spacers for like 7 or 8 dollars. How much did he want?

If he insists they were missing when you left the bike go over there and ask him to put the wheel on in your presence without spacers. Like I said impossible.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
was in a hurry last month when i was at the track swapping my rims on the rc51 (different tires on different rims for different conditions)...

anyways, long story short, i forgot some spacers, suffice it to say, the damn bike did NOT roll. basically locked up the front wheel. took me an hour of fiddling taking everything apart, putting it back, jamming up the axle nut, blah blah blah, then i looked at the other rims and noticed the spacers (fail).

bottom line is that you would DEFINITELY notice if the spacers werent there.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:13 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well let me ask you this. How were the front brakes? Was the lever firm or did you have to pump it up for the brakes to work?

The reason I ask this is any slop in the front wheel will cause it to wobble. This will cause the rotors to push the brake pads into the calipers. So in order for the brakes to work, you would need to pump the system up enough to have the pads contact the rotor.

This would feel like major brake fade at best, in fact that is how I diagnosed a wheel bearing going bad. The slight wobble caused by a bearing on the way out had me going through my entire front brake system until I finally checked the wheel bearing and found a bit of run out. Swapped out the bearings and the brake problem went away.

IMHO one bearing going out would induce less wheel side movement than missing spaces, so I really do thing you would have noticed them missing.

Then again, anything is possible....
Yeah, I thought about the pistons being pushed into the calipers after I wrote that.

If everything felt normal, you probably had wheel spacers.
I'm starting to go with the baked mechanic...
Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Back to this shop, take not your bike.
LOL
Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
This may be my all time favorite thread (excepting of course PWNT). It's all just SO damned perfect. The MECHANIC is one of the SPACERS!! Don't be the other one!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I would not insult my mechanic (I don't have one) before I was able to roll out my bike. It's kind of like sending your meal back to the chef for rework. An insult will only complicate the issue. Also if the spacers were missing for any period, the dirt deposits on the axle would indicate it. Footprints.......
Old 05-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thetophatflash
I would not insult my mechanic (I don't have one) before I was able to roll out my bike. It's kind of like sending your meal back to the chef for rework. An insult will only complicate the issue. Also if the spacers were missing for any period, the dirt deposits on the axle would indicate it. Footprints.......
Actually, we may have the decider here... Like thetophatflash said... If the bike was ridden for any amount of time without the spacers, the bearings would be dirty and grimey... If the spacers went missing in his shop, there will be grime on the seals, but not on the bearings... might or might not be grease left, but if it's there it's condition will also be a tell...

Look at it, and then politely ask him to replace the spacers at his cost if the evidence is there... If he doesn't... Well.. I'd call it even, he can keep the spacers as payment for his work... You can always buy the spacers else where...
Old 05-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Lets just all agree, you cant ride without them. period...
Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
Ask for the shop manager. If they deny ever losing them, tell them I am riding home, and if I wipe out/crash go down because they are wrong and lost them, you'll get an ambulance chasing injury lawyer. After you own that shop it will be under new management.

No shop in their right mind sends out any vehicle that has a serious safety issue. They would not risk it for $15 in parts. Better yet make them prove it rode in that way by test riding it for you, tell them you think it is unsafe and have bake boy take it out and get it up to 70 on the freeway in traffic.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever ride without front wheel spacers