Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

micron??? ugh im a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Squid

mclovin is on a distinguished road
Question micron??? ugh im a newbie

ok so im a wicked newbie here so i have a stock 04 superhawk im really itching to dump some cash into it but im really worried to spend money and not get what i wanted outta my money spent... so here are the mods i want to do

i want to do an exhaust but i want a really deep sound somthing angry lol and in my area there arnt too many hawks around i was thinking micron or d&d but im also open to any other suggestion

also ive talked to acoup;e of shops around the area about jetting and they bassically told me i dont need tojet the bike when i get the exhaust and that they would just shim the needle and remove the emission valve. To me that sounds like a way to sorta do it in a jerry rig kinda way. i was looking to do a K&n air filter and the dyno jet kit to me that seems like the correct way to do it but i could be wrong

well thanks for reading if yall have any good sites that i can look for an exhaust please forward them so far its tough to find anything under the 600 range

Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I've been running Microns (mid-mounts) for three years now and am very happy with them. They have a throaty sound without being ubnoxiously loud. Also, I like the fact that there are no rivets used, making for a cleaner look and simplified re-packing procedure.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I had staintune slipons (high mount) for a long time on mine. Nice sound and have a removable baffle so they can be quieter or louder. Deep sound. I just took them off when I finally located a full exhaust system to replace it with. Very nice pipes, well made. For jetting, I think your advice is correct - jetting is certainly not required with a slip on only - mine ran fine for a year before I started messing with a dynojet kit - and then it actually lost a little power. Raising the needles a little is a simple thing to do to see if it improves midrange throttle response and easy to reverse if it doesn't help you. Removing the PAIR system is something many of us do, irrespective of exhaust/jetting changes - removes some hoses so at least makes getting the carbs off easier. there are some great writeups on how to do it - initially I think started by Greg Nemish from this site.

bill