Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

exhaust header question

Old 12-23-2004, 01:05 PM
jb
Squid

jb
exhaust header question

When working on my bike I noticed a "problem" with my header.
If you remove the right muffler and look into the head pipe I noticed the opening was half blocked by design.
The way the pipe was built there is an overlap from one section to another.
Wouldnt this cause a flow problem. I was always lead to beleive that the exhuast was to flow smooth.

has anyone else noticed this. Is it just me or is this a honda design.

Im not sure if I should get out the dremel....

thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
Hmmm, you know, I had my exhaust jet hot coated and when I put it back together, I don't ever remember seeing the pieces overlap the opening like that. I would probably sat thats its safe to dremel those overlapping pieces out of there. It can only increase the exhaust flow, which would help the motor.
If it were me I'd do it.

Hey JB, did you ever get the undertail off ebay for your bike?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:55 PM
jb
Squid

jb
Re: exhaust header question

I am about to sent mine to jet hot... that why i had them off.
I was only worried that honda may have had a reason for this... that why i havent done it yet.

havent got the tail yet, maybe santa will bring it.

which coating did you get from jet hot. how did you like the quality, how much did they charge. they gave me a 145 quote but it was for a 4 not a twin.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
I think it was about $150 for the headers. I got the silver finish, I think it came out very good. They said it could be polished with a buffing wheel to look similar to chrome, but thats too much work and upkeep so I just thru them on.

Yeah I noticed the price dropped on the tail from $199 to $159, so I might have to get one soon.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Back Marker

Random

That one is worst than my old stocker, but that's more or less what they look like. If you can get a dremel in there, go for it.

Two Brothers offers a header that's a much better design, as does D&D. The D&D only fits their phunky race pipes (not their normal pipes) and oh god is it loud. One of these days I gotta post up sound clips of all the various different exhausts I have laying around....
Old 12-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

They slid that pipe in an welded it up diverting more spent gas to the left side .

On my 2003 I could feel with my hands more pop at idle out of the left side S4 exhaust after I installed them than the right side when the motor was stock and I was doing the trial fit . I whacked it out of there later .

I want to coat my header also . Does that stuff stay on the stainless steel a good n long time ?
Old 12-24-2004, 08:35 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Although I usually jump in with both feet on many mods and I was a "pioneer" in the VFR world with header conversions, I haven't messed with the SuperHawk headers. I've seen several others who have tested and say the factory headers are really good and difficult to improve upon.

Anyway, I too have noticed that my left 2Bros Ti highmount exhaust output is warmer than the right. I'm talking the actual exhaust not the can. I attributed it to having more of the closer rear cylinder in the mix but this right side "obstruction" might have more to do with it. hmmm.

Doug
Old 12-24-2004, 11:17 AM
jb
Squid

jb

Doug,
can you pull the right muffler and check the header to see if your looks the same.
I really feel the need to cut it out. but not sure if i should.
maybe honda knows something we dont.
or
someone didnt finish the job....
Old 12-24-2004, 11:19 AM
jb
Squid

jb

rolling,
did you notice any change (good or bad) after removing the extra peice of pipe.
I agree it looks like it may just be overlap from the exhaust getting made, but honda usually is good with fit and finish.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Squid

jagg1174 is on a distinguished road
I've done it on mine with shortened two bros titanium cans and don't really notice any difference.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
This is normal and the reason is the "obstruction" that folks talk about in the exhaust header.

What is going on is at low RPM the exhaust is mainly routed to the left can.
This makes the exhaust system "appear" longer, which gives more power down low.

As the RPMs rise so does the pressure inside the system.
This routes more gas to the right hand can, which then makes the system "appear" shorter, which is needed for high RPM power.

So because the system acts like a "variable" length system (with no moving parts.... tricky little Japanese engineers....lol ) you get the uneven heating of the cans at low RPMs.

Run it up high for a little bit and both cans will be the same temp

And yes when you start cutting cans and mucking about with the exhaust system, you do change to powerband of the engine.