Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Dr. Honda Velocity Stack Order Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Seattle_SuperHawk
one set for me please !! pending a post with estimated cost.....hint hint Mr.Honda
Hint Hint, it's in this thread
$130/pr plus shipping
There is talk in another thread, from DR. Honda about them being $120/pair. So if you plan for $150, you'll be even happier if they are cheaper.

Also, if you read the thread, you'll see the convention that was being used to keep track of who wanted them.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 AM
SuperBike

Reaper (1)
Stevebis1 (1)
rus32 (1)
Erik S. (1)
johnclopp85 (1)
comedo (1)
rackovanz (1)
majo (1)
RWhisen (1)
erno (1)
BBB (1)
taskmasta (1)
peterpanic (1)
salmanilla2000 (1)
motojoe (1)
utahawker (1)
rc1029 (1)
trinc (1)
YOUNGJESTER (1)
bristunt Australia (2)
flinnt (1)
LineArrayNut (1)
Sleeper (1)
Superskinner (1)
NAVY8TR (1)
t-dogg (1)
boxdogracing (1)
revhead1957 (1)
Upland111 (1)
Hawkrider (1)
Stumpy (1)
inderocker (1)
Seattle Superhawk (1)
Old 06-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Squid

Dr Honda is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

Just a little update.

I got a very generous offer from a member. Someone is sending me an air-box, and carbs. I should have them in a few days, and I will do all the test fitting in my shop. Yes, this will add a few more days to the wait... but I will know exactly what it takes to make them work. AND... I may add the cut outs to clear the air-box, so it will be a direct bolt in.

I'll post up some pics as soon as I get the parts in.

As far as a final price... It's not set in stone yet... but I will not let it exceed $130. So for now, we will just use that as a target price. If it turns out to be less... you will be the first to know.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dr Honda
you will be the first to know.
This is fantastic... I've never been the first to know anything as far as I know! Thanks for the hard work and perseverance Doc and all.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Flinnt
Sorry for noobie question, but am I going to need to retune when I put these stacks in?

I have a jet kit, ignition advancer and sports filter ready to go into my bike and will be getting a dynotune when I do put them in. Do I need to wait til I get the stacks before I do this (only want to pay for one dynotune), or will it be negligible and no retune necessary? (Like I said - noobie)

thanks for any advice.
Flinnt, almost missed your question up there. Not sure if the info you're looking for was discussed, but I'd try this thread to see if it was discussed: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...velocity+stack

Erik
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
It has been discussed look for comments from Mikstr and Tweety. You will definately want to wait till the stacks are installed before you jet. You can probably put the advancer in now, my understanding is that does not require jetting adjustment.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Squid

Update....

Hi guys,

I got the carbs and air box in... and sure enough, the lip hits the plastic where that meets the carb opening. All that would need to be done, is to trim the air box a little... but at this stage, it's just as easy for me to tweak the program, and make it fit the box better.

Just an FYI... my part matches the drawings sent to me... so, other people must have trimmed the box. I'm not sure exactly why that lip is in the drawing. It doesn't match up to the top of the carb, or the top of the airbox.

Right now, I'm finishing up some levers for Cycle Control, so I will be able to work on the stack tomorrow, and I should have a new prototype cut on Wed. If all goes well, I will start the first batch on Thursday, and will be ready for shipping on Friday.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I'm wondering if those that bought the HP or "first run" stacks trimmed their airboxes? It seems like it would be smarter to raise the lip on the stack so the stock airbox wouldn't have to be modified.

I'm just glad you had the same outcome I did.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Squid

Flinnt is on a distinguished road
Dr Honda,

If its just as easy for you to tweak it to fit - I'd much prefer a set that fits without modifying the box.

But then thinking about the previous lot - they have only ever mentioned needing to file the collar on the stacks a bit to allow proper fitment - I don't remember ever reading about them modding the box. Don't take me wrong - I believe it is not fitting. Just scratching my head as to why this is so?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I had mine out for unrelated reasons a couple of days back and I can verify my previous statement... I can get a nail in there with some effort, but there is no gap that I can see or feel with my fingertips... As far as I can see i have less than a millimeter clearance to the plastic of the airbox on the neck, it's tight but it clears...

Could it be that the airbox is slightly misaligned? I'm pretty sure it's possible to wiggle it around a bit until you tigthen the screws holding it to the carbs...

Since the material isn't really serving a purpose it's probably a good idea to raise that ridge as suggested to eliminate any possible problem though...
Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
Could it be that the airbox is slightly misaligned? I'm pretty sure it's possible to wiggle it around a bit until you tigthen the screws holding it to the carbs...
I don't think you can get the mount off-center enough for that to be the issue. I'm wondering if the CAD file was just a little off or some other random error.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Squid

Update....

I got about a half day behind, but we are moving along.

The velocity stack fits the carb perfect. (pic below) The taper, the OD and the ID are a match. But, that lip hits the airbox. (pic below) And... I thought that there could be a possible corruption in the file sent to me... but I was sent different files from 3 different sources, and they are all the same. The lip is basically at 16mm, and as you guys know, the carb is about 13.5mm deep, and when you add the air box... it's 19.5mm deep. So, the lip just digs in about 3mm short of seating.

I'm just going to extend the tapper to give the airbox clearance.

I'll rework the model and the programs tonight, and should have a new prototype cut tomorrow.

Please ignore the poor internal finish. That's from my old boring bar. The ones you guys order will be nice inside.

Last thing. Since the carbs are held in place with 4 screws... it's very hard to miss align the opening.

Name:  P6160758.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  P6160759.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  P6160760.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  63.6 KB

Last edited by Dr Honda; 06-16-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
MotoGP

Update....

I got about a half day behind, but we are moving along.

The velocity stack fits the carb perfect. (pic below) The taper, the OD and the ID are a match. But, that lip hits the airbox. (pic below) And... I thought that there could be a possible corruption in the file sent to me... but I was sent different files from 3 different sources, and they are all the same. The lip is basically at 16mm, and as you guys know, the carb is about 13.5mm deep, and when you add the air box... it's 19.5mm deep. So, the lip just digs in about 3mm short of seating.

I'm just going to extend the tapper to give the airbox clearance.

I'll rework the model and the programs tonight, and should have a new prototype cut tomorrow.

Please ignore the poor internal finish. That's from my old boring bar. The ones you guys order will be nice inside.

Last thing. Since the carbs are held in place with 4 screws... it's very hard to miss align the opening.
Actually it's 8... 4 per carb, and while you can "twist it" you certainly can move it in one direction, enough for it to make the taper bind in the throat of the carb, I have done that a couple of times...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hey Tony, how much extra would it be to have the inside diameter dimpled like a golf ball. Think of the increased airflow.....

Just kidding! You're doing a great job. Can't wait to get mine.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Hah! Actually, that's probably a good idea!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
my dimpled girlfriend's *** seems like a good idea to her. these stacks should be as smooth as Tennessee whiskey - mine were - work great - what's all the fuss?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Squid

I have some good news for you guys....

Prototype V2 fits the airbox, and the carb intake just fine, and the new boaring bar is leaving a good finish on the inside.

Tomorrow, I will finish the fixture to hold the stack in the mill to cut the bolt holes in the flange, and I will also add the cut-out for the airbox clearance, and the opening so you can get to the pilot air jets.

As long as something doesn't go horribly wrong tomorrow, I should start production by the end of the day. Once I start the production run, I will add the parts to my web site (I will post a link) and you will be able to order.

If you prefer to use Paypal, just send my an email, and I can send you a paypal invoice. But please hold off on the paypal requests until I get the production run going, and I get a price for shipping.

Name:  P6210811.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  108.2 KB
Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Talking

Woohoo thanks Dr honda
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I'm starting to get this warm fuzzy feeling all over my body.....
Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Squid

Finally... The wait is over. (sort of )

Hi all,

OK, the finished V2.0 Dr Honda velocity stack is done !!

As you all know, this stack is the proven profile from the original design, all I did was to make it fit the air box a little better. I moved the lip at the bottom so the air box doesn't need trimmed... I made the cut-outs for you guys so you don't have to file the notch to clear the corner of the airbox, and the cut-out to have access to the pilot air jets for use with that air tuning system I've seen on this board. (Flow-Commander)

THE ONLY MOD NEEDED IS TO CLIP ABOUT 1/8" OFF THE TOP OF THE HOSE SUPPORT. It will touch the bell of the stack. (See pic below)

All the fixtures are done, and the programs have been proven. Tonight, I will prep for the run, and get it started. It should take 2 days to make up all of the projected orders. (I will start to ship Friday)

If, you changed your mind, or just don't have the cash right now... that's fine. I will fill the orders as I receive them, and I will keep a couple sets on the shelf for you guys.

Some time tonight, I will post a link to my website, after I get the parts added. It will also have directions for Paypal. regardless, your credit card will not get charged until your parts ship.

If there are any questions... just let me know.

I guess next week we can start on the fork braces.

Name:  P6220824.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  P6220828.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  P6220827.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  P6220829.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  77.5 KB

Last edited by Dr Honda; 06-22-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I can't believe anyone would run something like this without a dyno proving they work...LOL!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I heard Mikstr has slips but won't show them!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
I heard Mikstr has slips but won't show them!
Bad Mikstr!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Squid

FL02SupaHawk996....

I thought you were on the original group buy on the stacks. (guess not) Anyway... this is the same stack model as the original set made up by Mikstr. I've just given the outside parts a tweak so you don't have to trim the airbox, or the ring to add a Flow-Commander.

Here is something Tweety posted on the last thread with a couple dyno graphs, but he has other mods.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...&postcount=254

Last edited by Dr Honda; 06-22-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Squid

I've had a PM, and a couple emails about not being able to order right away. That's fine. Unlike the first group buy... this will just be a part in my web store from now on. I just needed a "Show of hands" to determine true interest.

The price as of now will be $130 for the set. Also, since I will be sending a bunch this week, I'm just going to use a USPS priority flat rate box. That will set the shipping price at $10.50 in the USA. I should be able to fit 2 sets in the box, so if you have a buddy who is interested, you can combined the order to save on shipping.

For our buddies in Australia. The best price I can find down there is going to be about $41.00 (usd) for the 2 sets. That's also using US postal, and should take 10 days. If you have any thoughts on a cheaper way, please send me a PM, and I will check into it.

I will have them up on my site later tonight.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
MotoGP

FL02SupaHawk996....

I thought you were on the original group buy on the stacks. (guess not) Anyway... this is the same stack model as the original set made up by Mikstr. I've just given to outside parts a tweak to so you don't have to trim the airbox, or the ring to add a Flow-Commander.

Here is something Tweety posted on the last thread with a couple dyno graphs, but he has other mods.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...&postcount=254
Actually I believe he owns two sets? Or is it three now?

That's just a continuation on a long ago started discussion... Yeah, don't attribute all that to the stacks... But I do belive the helped spread that torque wide...
Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Tony, FL02 is just being sarcastic, many people didn't order the first buy because no one had "proof" that they work.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Syclone
Tony, FL02 is just being sarcastic, many people didn't order the first buy because no one had "proof" that they work.

Sorry. I should have picked up on that.

This site is slow on my iPhone.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
PM sent from sunny Australia.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
does anyone have any thoughts on how these stacks compare to the original run from a performance perspective? Thank you. JB

Quick Reply: Dr. Honda Velocity Stack Order Thread