Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Velocity stack participants

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Velocity stack participants

Here is the info related to production/pricing:

1) Micky’s (mikstr) first supplier proposal: 40 pc, $78 CAN ea (note: am still waiting onanother possible supplier)

2) Peter’s (Firestorm996) supplier proposal:
20 pc $ 65 USD ea
60 pc $ 48 ea
N.B. : all surfaces machine finish no plating, 30 days lead time

confirmed to date:
1) Mikstr
2) Tweety
3) Firestorm996
4) HondaJohn
5) FTMS
6) FTMS
7) Yamadog
8) c/o Tweety
9) c/o Tweety

P.S.Will update list as we go along, will make it easier to stay on top of things this way.

Last edited by mikstr; 05-09-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
1) Mikstr
2) Tweety
3) Firestorm996
4) HondaJohn
5) FTMS (2 sets) The only problem with owning two of the same bike
Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
1) Mikstr
2) Tweety
3) Firestorm996
4) HondaJohn
5) FTMS (2 sets) The only problem with owning two of the same bike
6) Yamadog
Old 05-09-2009, 08:08 AM
MotoGP

seven sets, and counting....
Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

up to nine, thanks Tweety
Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I don't want to rain on the parade here, and this is all in the best interest of the forum and its members. I want to protect buyers and ensure we know what we're getting.

Since these are unproven performance parts wouldn't it be wise to have the first set made, then do back-to-back dynos, and post the results? It would raise the cost of each by about $5 but would give more peace of mind to all involved. As a matter of fact, if I see a dyno sheet with proven gains I will buy a set. OR, send me the first set at no cost and I'll have 'em dyno'd on my dime and post the results.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I don't want to rain on the parade here, and this is all in the best interest of the forum and its members. I want to protect buyers and ensure we know what we're getting.

Since these are unproven performance parts wouldn't it be wise to have the first set made, then do back-to-back dynos, and post the results? It would raise the cost of each by about $5 but would give more peace of mind to all involved. As a matter of fact, if I see a dyno sheet with proven gains I will buy a set. OR, send me the first set at no cost and I'll have 'em dyno'd on my dime and post the results.
Thank you.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

While I fully agree with your intentions and partly with your reservations the part isn't completely unknown, although not tested in the way you suggest... I fully know the score and believe the price of these to be something I'm willing to spend/risk... So does the two I'm ordering for... Also the theory behind the part is completely sound...

It will be an exact duplicate of a part that is known to work, Flo and Shayne are running them (anyone else?) But haven't done back to back dyno runs... I will do that very thing once I install mine... (not official corrected numbers, but comparing before & after)

A CNC machined alu piece will end up a duplicate with a correct drawing as long as the machinist knows how to work the machine, it's not like a CF part that is handmade and have a lot of unknown factors...

The problem with your suggestion is logistics I think... We are all spread out and none physically close to the CNC mill, so I'm pretty sure it wont be some $5...

Last edited by Tweety; 05-10-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:26 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have not been following this issue, so there is a lot of info I don't know.

Mikstr, are these a copy of the HPower velocity stacks that I have, as Tweety suggests? I know that mine are similar to the Moriwaki stacks also.

If they are, I have seen a dyno test on them to prove they work. I don't have it anymore to show you unfortunately, but it was a back to back test done on an independantly owned dyno, on a VTR without making any other changes except jetting to suit. It was about a 5hp gain in the midrange from memory, with no losses elsewhere that I could see. The guy that made them told me that the gain in airflow they produced also meant that you would use slightly smaller main jets.

He told me that the standard stacks were just not efficient enough in that midrange rev range, and that flow bench testing showed they could be improved. Dyno tests confirmed it. The bike had slip on mufflers, and maybe an airfilter, but no other mods except jetting.

Hope this info helps.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:29 AM
MotoGP

thanks Shayne (yes, these are an exact duplicate of Bill's long stacks), that is pretty well what I/we were looking for. The problem with getting one set made then tested is the ridiculous cost involved in having just one set made, a cost I am sure no one wants to foot, especially since most don't even want to spend half, or even a quarter, to have them made.

With all due respect, for those of us who are willing to "take the risk" (and, based on Shayne's report, there is no risk; they work), then I say let's do it. As for the others, well, the prints will still be available, you guys can organize your own parade later should you wish to do so.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful but, in my experience, given enough time (and scepticism), this thing will creep down to a halt and nothing will come of it. For those not wanting to buy, no one is forcing you. For those who do, speak up and let's get this thing done!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

To all the confirmed participants:

given the apparent lack of interest for this, are you guys ok with ordering at 10 sets (which would result in a commitment of $130 USD)? Please let me know. As for me, I am in as I don't really feel like waiting around for the second coming of the Messiah just to save 30 or so dollars (at this pace, we'll never reach 30 sets anyhow...)
Old 05-10-2009, 02:42 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road

Since when are we doing that? I know of a certain set of cam chain tensioners that are being made by a guy who test fit them on an engine that's not even in a frame, let alone running [that's my understanding anyway]. I'm not knocking that, I think it's weird to require a burden of proof up front. The way I try to operate is to test things out as much as possible. I also think that if something has merit it will rise to the top like cream and people will buy it. If it doesn't - they won't.

Just my two cents!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:36 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Since when are we doing that? I know of a certain set of cam chain tensioners that are being made by a guy who test fit them on an engine that's not even in a frame, let alone running [that's my understanding anyway]. I'm not knocking that, I think it's weird to require a burden of proof up front. The way I try to operate is to test things out as much as possible. I also think that if something has merit it will rise to the top like cream and people will buy it. If it doesn't - they won't.

Just my two cents!
Jeez y'all. I don't see Greg requiring anything from anybody. He stated his opinion. He thinks it would be wise to have a dyno run showing the part performs as hoped.

He offered to pay for the dyno runs himself. If people aren't interested or it isn't feasible , fine, but I don't understand folks seeming upset by his opinion and offer.

Last edited by RK1; 05-10-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

PM sent

To Firestorm996, HondaJohn, Tweety, FTMS and aka Yamadog, you have a PM.

cheers
Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
c-4
Squid

c-4 is on a distinguished road
if you Check what the postage to denmark is, and its not too much i'd take a set aswell, just to keep things going.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 AM
MotoGP

We have decided to go with a production run of 10 sets (with me buying two sets to get up to the magic 10 set barrier and make sure this doesn't die). If you want in, you'll have to decide (regardless of postage fees) and let me know ASAP as whoever puts in a firm commitment for the 10th set gets them. Anyone else wanting some will be on his or her own (unless you speak up before we launch the order). Don't mean to be a dick but I am tired of hearing all the wonderful reasons poeple have for not coming on board. At some point we have to move and that time is now. No more delays or waiting around.

Last edited by mikstr; 05-11-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty

Just my two cents!
Well $85 for a pretty bolt holder (that works, and he does have video of the engine running) is a lot different than $250 for something that has to be aerodynamically exact to provide what it's supposed to..
Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 AM
MotoGP

No one is being forced to buy one. Those who don't want one can just go on their merry way....
Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
No one is being forced to buy one. Those who don't want one can just go on their merry way....
True, and if a cheaper version is made that shows some benefit I'd be interested. But for now I am watching closely.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
MotoGP

Good luck with that....

Last edited by mikstr; 05-11-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Mikstr - I want to let you know I appreciate what you did here and I watched it all very closely. I think many of us love to get "a deal" and you have made this possible for a few.
I think you didn't get the 30 or more because this item's "value" is not as intuitive and as documented as other items that have been discussed on this forum.
What ever the reason, thanks for investing your time doing this. Please let us know over the next months how the stacks are working.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

thanks Steve, that is very kind of you As you know, I was not alone in trying to orchestrate this entire project and a lot of the credit must go to Rick and Hak.

cheers
Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 AM
MotoGP

Update: all 10 sets are spoken for (thank you Rick). Anyone else wanting in has to let us know very shortly and give a firm commitment (NO CONDITIONAL SALES!!!!!). The order will be going out shortly after which time it will be too late.

cheers
Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
On the fence here. To be clear is it currently $130 USD for a SET of stacks or is that the price for each stack?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
MotoGP

for a set. You are more than welcoem to jump on board (the more the merrier) but you need to decide quickly....
Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I guess your machinist doesn't work the same way most do. For a new part there is a setup fee, an initial investment to program the CNC or whatever. Afterwards the shop can make as many as it wants for minimal cost. That's why it costs less per unit when you order 100 vice 10. Obvious ****, right? Okay, so why not have the machine shop whip out like two sets or something, tell him you'll be back in a week if everything fits up nice and runs good, then you'll have the other 10 or whatever sets made. It sounds right now like you're paying the shop for 10 sets of something you're not 100% sure of, and that's not very wise on your part. If you have 10 sets of these made at $1300 and they don't work then you're looking at $1300 of YOUR money that you have to fork out to make new ones. I'm trying to protect EVERYONE here, not just the buyers.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Oh, and the $5 per part was based on having one extra set made for dyno evaluation with all parties pitching in to have it done.

If you really want to help out the forum you would get more interest and lower the cost per set if we had a dyno sheet.

I'm not trying to shut you down on this but trying to sweeten the deal for a larger population. I already said I'd buy a set if I saw data supporting the claims. How many other guys out there are sitting on the same fence?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Oh, and the $5 per part was based on having one extra set made for dyno evaluation with all parties pitching in to have it done.

If you really want to help out the forum you would get more interest and lower the cost per set if we had a dyno sheet.

I'm not trying to shut you down on this but trying to sweeten the deal for a larger population. I already said I'd buy a set if I saw data supporting the claims. How many other guys out there are sitting on the same fence?
Me, but I'm also looking for a set for 25 bucks.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road

me

Hawk can you look at the thread stats and see how many people are subscribed to this and the original thread, that may give us a good idea of possible interest.

Last edited by yruyur; 05-12-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Truer words have never been spoken.... er.... written... er... typed....

Quick Reply: Velocity stack participants