Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

diy seat mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:11 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
diy seat mod

after finding www.diymotorcycleseat.com i decided to try reworking my rc51 seat.

i used closed cell, firm foam. carefully took the old cover and foam off the stock seat. i'll be able to return it to stock if i like.

put the new foam on and shaped it. it's now dished out and wider. check the pics. now i have to figure out what to do for a cover.
Attached Thumbnails diy seat mod-100_1365.jpg   diy seat mod-100_1364.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Nice going. What's your source for the foam and what tool did you use to 'shape' it?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:35 PM
SuperBike

the local auto upholstery shop had lots of different types of foam. the shape it i used an angle grinder. it was almost amazing how well the grinder worked the foam.

tomorrow i'm going back to the upholstery shop to see if they'll make me a cover.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:39 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
You don't think you can stretch the stock seat cover material over it? Maybe it'll need some glue?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:06 AM
SuperBike

i did stretch it over, and could have stapled it. it looked shaky though. i'm thinking leather, and contoured to fit the dish, sides, and meet the fairing.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
Looks like you pieced a few sections of foam together.....what type of glue? Acid free?

Cheers
Fish
Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
SuperBike

oh yeah, there is lots of glue, holding lots of pieces of foam together. the upholstery shop loaned me the glue. it's 3m brand.

i've done much more work and the seat is shaping up nicely. i should have it done today.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Pics of your process would be appreciated.

Did you consider putting some type of 'gel pad?' I was just reading about the latest KTM that comes stock with it.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM
SuperBike

i didn't seriously consider gel. i looked at it and read a bit about it on diymotorcycleseat.com to me the most important factor that adds comfort is shape. what i wondered was, good shape + gel???

pics soon. unfortunately i did not document the whole process. the diy site shows and explains much more than i ever could.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
That is a thorough site, for sure.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Wearing the Vtwin grin!
Squid

Bikephreak is on a distinguished road
I've made several seats and I've learned a few tricks. The smoother the foam is the smoother your seat will look when covered. pay special attention to the seams where you glued your foam together, try to get it as smooth as possible. Also if you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a small hand rasp it will make the job of shaping very easy. The tool is in the wood working area and looks like a hand plane with a cheese grader on the bottom. Also whatever covering that you use make sure that you glue it to the seat foam as when as staple it to the seat pan. If you don't then the cover will try to float above the foam instead of following your carefully crafted contours.

So far it looks like you have got a pretty good start. Post up some pics when you have it finished.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

keep in mind this my first effort
Attached Thumbnails diy seat mod-100_1368.jpg   diy seat mod-100_1369.jpg   diy seat mod-100_1370.jpg   diy seat mod-100_1371.jpg   diy seat mod-100_1374.jpg  

Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
keep in mind this my first effort
what are you going to call your new seat business, finepooch perches?

Seriously, it looks like if you slide back a bit you'll be hitting the plastic with a little space before it. Seems like there should at least be no gap IMHO.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 PM
SuperBike

business! hahahahaha not likely!

i don't understand what you're saying about sliding back and the gap. there is a small gap between the seat and the fairing. there will be no sliding because the seat is deep dish style!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:49 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by finepooch
business! hahahahaha not likely!

i don't understand what you're saying about sliding back and the gap. there is a small gap between the seat and the fairing. there will be no sliding because the seat is deep dish style!
oh, OK. Never had one. I know I need to vary positions periodically, but maybe not the case with a deep dish.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
SuperBike

you raise a point that i have wondered about. will i be able to shift around if i need to? hopefully the weather will improve soon so i can ride and try the seat.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
You should try putting beads underneath. The taxi driver beads are like A/C for your *** on top. I'm sure they would work almost as well under a tight seat cover. The key to comfort is allowing the blood vessels just under the skin to circulate. When the blood doesn't circulate it deprives the tissue of oxygen creating pain. The deep dish works by spreading the load out adequately so there is even pressure. Beads leave lots of channels for perfusion and the air circulating underneath is very cooling at speed.

Either way, I'm sure its much better than the plank Honda provided.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:46 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
You should try putting beads underneath. The taxi driver beads are like A/C for your *** on top. I'm sure they would work almost as well under a tight seat cover. The key to comfort is allowing the blood vessels just under the skin to circulate. When the blood doesn't circulate it deprives the tissue of oxygen creating pain. The deep dish works by spreading the load out adequately so there is even pressure. Beads leave lots of channels for perfusion and the air circulating underneath is very cooling at speed.

Either way, I'm sure its much better than the plank Honda provided.
you're right on with the beads. I used them for the long hours sitting in my truck and they are indeed great. If I were going to travel long distances, they would be a definite addition because, like you said, they do the job. They are especially good on hot days because the heat compromises the thin foam seat and your *** starts to sweat and then stick. This is when you know you need the beads to prevent chafing. I remember that feeling well. All you want to do once that happens is get off.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
SuperBike

yes, the beads! air circulation between the beads and under my **** would be nice! i will watch out for a set at wal mart or canadian tire.

yesterday i was on the road for work in my truck. my seat was hot. i got thinking about tapping into an a/c duct and redirecting air into my seat.

maybe i need to take a step away from seats in order to get a grip on reality? hahahaha!!!