Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

detailed carb sync instruction request.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Squid

catalystic is on a distinguished road
detailed carb sync instruction request.

Can anyone direct me on where to find detailed info (with pics or diagrams) on doing a carb sync on my 2003 VTR1000???? there used to be a site...gregs litre bikes online, with excellent pics and description...site no longer exsists..any help would be great..thanks.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
There are plenty of threads on here for synching carbs. No pictures here but I can tell you how to do it:

Install front cylinder vacuum adapter after removing grub screw unless already equipped.

Cut vacuum line under tank and install T fitting.

Attach carb synch tool to T fitting and front cylinder vacuum fitting.

Start engine-idle 2000 rpm, engine warm, choke off.

Adjust synch at synch screw.

Done.

If you use the search feature you can find all the instructions, some with pictures and even the shop manual on here that will get you through this.

EDIT-Don't forget to plug vacuum fittings when you're done.

Last edited by RWhisen; 10-04-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I followed the procedure in the shop manual the first time I sync'd the carburettors in order to keep the vacuum line as pristine as Honda intended it to be. Doing so was a mistake. Getting the line back on the fitting on the rear cylinder took many attempts over an extraordinarily long period of time. Cut the line as RWhisen suggested.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
http://www.superhawk996.net/
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Anybody got a line on a refill of mercury for their sync sticks? I have had the same motionpro sync tool for probably 15 years now, and I went to sync my carbs on the VTR and my Dad's FJR a few weeks back before my trip, and I swear I think I'm worse off now than before I did it. I tapped the base of the unit a bunch to try and settle the bubbles out, but the fact remains that the supply is low (it's fun loaning out tools and getting them back not quite as nice as when you sent them out) I got the FJR spot on, but would really like to add a few more ounces before trying the VTR again. Doesn't look like motion pro uses mercury anymore and I have heard that the blue fluid is garbage and bubbles in the column too much. I guess my other option is gauges, but I worry the needles would jump too much.

What are others doing these days?
-R
Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I had the same issue.. and did not find an easy source for replacement Mercury. Motion pro no longer sells that type at all.
So I bought a new Motion pro sync set up... I've used it on a dozen bikes in the last 7 months .
No issues at all with the new fluid MP is using.
Originally Posted by wyldryce
Anybody got a line on a refill of mercury for their sync sticks? I have had the same motion pro sync tool for probably 15 years now, and I went to sync my carbs on the VTR and my Dad's FJR a few weeks back before my trip, and I swear I think I'm worse off now than before I did it. I tapped the base of the unit a bunch to try and settle the bubbles out, but the fact remains that the supply is low (it's fun loaning out tools and getting them back not quite as nice as when you sent them out) I got the FJR spot on, but would really like to add a few more ounces before trying the VTR again. Doesn't look like motion pro uses mercury anymore and I have heard that the blue fluid is garbage and bubbles in the column too much. I guess my other option is gauges, but I worry the needles would jump too much.

-R

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-04-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Anybody got a line on a refill of mercury for their sync sticks? I have had the same motionpro sync tool for probably 15 years now, and I went to sync my carbs on the VTR and my Dad's FJR a few weeks back before my trip, and I swear I think I'm worse off now than before I did it. I tapped the base of the unit a bunch to try and settle the bubbles out, but the fact remains that the supply is low (it's fun loaning out tools and getting them back not quite as nice as when you sent them out) I got the FJR spot on, but would really like to add a few more ounces before trying the VTR again. Doesn't look like motion pro uses mercury anymore and I have heard that the blue fluid is garbage and bubbles in the column too much. I guess my other option is gauges, but I worry the needles would jump too much.
-R
you need to attach a valve on the line to reduce the pulse seen on the needle. not a big deal, i use plastic ones with a little thumb screw. just make sure the guage is of good quality.

tim
Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TMT-TS-71

Just get one of these!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
Some one should buy it use it then rent it to other SH members and charge the for shipping. I seen it on the Suzuki marauder forum that I am on.
It's a thought.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I use one of the CarbTune synch tools. Works great and the whole process is less than five minutes.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...%2f20zb1xw.jpg
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by catalystic
Can anyone direct me on where to find detailed info (with pics or diagrams) on doing a carb sync on my 2003 VTR1000???? there used to be a site...gregs litre bikes online, with excellent pics and description...site no longer exsists..any help would be great..thanks.
welcome to the house of crazies, OCDs, and other deviates, but there are a few nice people like me. haha

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight=carb+sync
Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Holy crap for $500 bucks that one on Summit racing better have a ******* port on it too
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Holy crap for $500 bucks that one on Summit racing better have a ******* port on it too
you better hush up. You'll have some deviates on here trying to build their own synchronizer with a BJ port. Actually, I had one tied on mine for a while but she got loose.haha
Old 10-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Back Marker

Shawn Torpey is on a distinguished road
For the front cylinder there is a little bolt, on the 49 state model, you're supposed to remove and reinsert each time you want to synch. I just went to the Honda dealer and looked on the microfiche (diagram) and found that the California model has a nipple that screws in there for some kinda hose. I ordered this nipple, installed it permanently, ran a piece of vacum line between the cylinders, put a spring clamp on the nipple and a coupling with a cap on the end. Takes 5 min to synch, not even kidding!! You even got lucky I was takin pics of somethin else so here you go.
Attached Thumbnails detailed carb sync instruction request.-dsc01087.jpg   detailed carb sync instruction request.-dsc01088.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Squid

catalystic is on a distinguished road
Thanks Shawn.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Back Marker

Shawn Torpey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
I use one of the CarbTune synch tools. Works great and the whole process is less than five minutes.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...%2f20zb1xw.jpg
No problem!! I use the CarbTune tool to and it's definetly the way to go.