Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

CCT at 6k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Squid

0317Hawk is on a distinguished road
CCT at 6k miles?

I just bought a 98 hawk that has the California emissions equipment and slightly more than 6k miles on it. After removing emission crap, performing the pair valve removal and re-jetting to run my Jardine RT-1's, I am noticing a loud clicking sound coming from what seems to be the left side of the bike near the APE CCT. This sound corresponds to engine RPM. I have searched for quite some time on this forum and have found that many people simply ride with this noise. Could this be the APE CCT at only 6k miles? It wouldnt bother me so much if this noise hadn't just started happening. What else could this be? Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
You could loosten the locking nut and re-adujust it. Takes minutes. Or possibly your exhaust headder. the nuts may have backed out a 1/4 turn or the exhaust gaskets were not replaced if the headder was removed.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Squid

Thanks Squid, I will get on that first thing tomorrow morning. I have a ride planned on Sunday and really want to go but this noise is scaring me. I'm pretty positive the headder has never been removed. Should the pair valve on the front of the bike be blowing air out? Should I cap that?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Yes... Anything that was removed should have a cap or plug on it.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I would probably put the Cali stuff back on. No power to be gained - only headaches. My guess is one of those parts is open and that is what's causing the sound.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Squid

Yeah, i am definitely not going to put that emissions stuff back on. It just doesn't feel American. I am going to make sure tank vent and carb bowl are open and check CCT. Hey VTRsurfer, I am a couple exits down from you at Las Pulgas. Do you have anyone who works on your hawk or do you do it all yourself?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Squid

So I found out it was air coming out of the front breather hose that connects to the left side front of the air box. This should be properly plugged if I am not mistaken?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Squid

so every hose coming out of the bottom of the air box gets capped right?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Here in the UK without the PAIR kit fitted - the airbox still connects up to the outlets on the front and rear cam covers. E1 > F17

Last edited by Wicky; 12-29-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
If you come a little bit north I can get you squared away.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
If you come a little bit north I can get you squared away.
Thanks guys. Still trying to figure out how this quote thing works so I can reply to separate people. VTRSurfer, I have a road bike that I often ride up to San Clemente and sometimes down to Encinitas but just like you my back can only take about 40 miles. 8541Hawk, I PMed you when I first got my Hawk back in October to see if you were around and if your screen name designator means the same as mine? 8541=0317? I would love to come a little north and get my bike squared away. So I did what was recommended to the hoses and she was running fantastic yesterday morning. Met up with a group of buddies to ride up to Julian and lost a cylinder in the process. We hit some rain on the way up and I hope that isn't why one of the cylinders quit firing. I'm hoping its a plug or coil or wire or something. Luckily a buddy came and got me. Only had to stand in the rain and hail for three hours. Im headed to the garage now to see if somehow any water may have gotten into the airbox and then to start looking for plugs and wires etc. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 0317Hawk
Thanks guys. Still trying to figure out how this quote thing works so I can reply to separate people. VTRSurfer, I have a road bike that I often ride up to San Clemente and sometimes down to Encinitas but just like you my back can only take about 40 miles. 8541Hawk, I PMed you when I first got my Hawk back in October to see if you were around and if your screen name designator means the same as mine? 8541=0317? I would love to come a little north and get my bike squared away. So I did what was recommended to the hoses and she was running fantastic yesterday morning. Met up with a group of buddies to ride up to Julian and lost a cylinder in the process. We hit some rain on the way up and I hope that isn't why one of the cylinders quit firing. I'm hoping its a plug or coil or wire or something. Luckily a buddy came and got me. Only had to stand in the rain and hail for three hours. Im headed to the garage now to see if somehow any water may have gotten into the airbox and then to start looking for plugs and wires etc. Thanks again for all of your help.

Sorry I must have missed your PM, I do get bad with them sometimes.
As for the MOS, yeah same job just the old school designation. Back from the day of 2 man teams and going over the wire with just a pack of crackers in your pocket.....lol

Are you still active? Just asking to see if you know CWO John Watson as he is part of the bike community at Pendleton. If so tell him I said Hi.

Shoot me another PM and I'll give you my cell # and we can set something up.

Semper Fi

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 12-31-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Squid

No worries. I am still active but am currently an 0211. As an 0317 I instructed at the schoolhouse in Hawaii for a few years before being stationed here. Nowadays, I wouldn't walk down the street with just a pack of crackers! I am not familiar with the name John Watson but that certainly doesn't mean he isn't around. I appreciate your offer and I will take you up on it. I will PM you shortly. Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned
MotoGP

No worries. I am still active but am currently an 0211. As an 0317 I instructed at the schoolhouse in Hawaii for a few years before being stationed here. Nowadays, I wouldn't walk down the street with just a pack of crackers! I am not familiar with the name John Watson but that certainly doesn't mean he isn't around. I appreciate your offer and I will take you up on it. I will PM you shortly. Thanks again!
Well I never went anywhere without my M40A1 & a 1911, unless it was urban stuff then I had a M21..... but compared to the toys you guys get now it was rather spartan.

Anyways well get you dialed in ASAP.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned
MotoGP

It was just a big ol' game of hide and seek....lol

The little guys did have some advantage until it came time to hump all the crap around, then I was happy to be a big guy.

Anyways to get back on topic, no air should be coming out of the pair valves capped or not. If this is still happening check to make sure you have flipped the reed valve properly.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Squid

chrisc is on a distinguished road
I get a ticking noise but think its down to remus grand prix cans.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
0317Hawk and Mike,

The last several years I was teaching, there was a long term substitute welding teacher named Joe, who taught on many occasions in the shop adjacent to my auto shop. He's a great guy, and I talked to him many times before he mentioned his military service. He was in his mid 70's when I retired 4 years ago. He did the same job as you guys during the Korean War. After discharge he became a cop in Texas. He soon found that being a Mexican American cop in Texas in the 1950's wasn't easy. Also, he's not big in stature, about 5'6" when I knew him.

When Vietnam came around, they asked him to return to active duty, which he did. He said that he spent a lot of time sitting motionless in trees, for days at a time, in the jungles of Vietnam. To me, that must be one of the most difficult jobs in the military, and I salute all who serve.
Hey, thanks for all of the great advice. I definitely need to run through the bike and perform maintenance even though it is low mileage. All that sitting around cant be good for it either.

As for the job, yeah, a lot of people think it is sexy and cool, but I tell people it is one of the most miserable jobs in the Corps. Carrying all your stuff crazy distances to sit somewhere for days on end with the possibility of seeing nothing can be mind boggling. I still wouldn't trade the title or the experiences for anything. Misery breeds camaraderie and makes you appreciate the good things in life! It is people like yourself who make serving an honor. Oh, and if you don't mind, keep the advice coming! Take care
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Banned
MotoGP

As for the job, yeah, a lot of people think it is sexy and cool, but I tell people it is one of the most miserable jobs in the Corps. Carrying all your stuff crazy distances to sit somewhere for days on end with the possibility of seeing nothing can be mind boggling. I still wouldn't trade the title or the experiences for anything. Misery breeds camaraderie and makes you appreciate the good things in life! It is people like yourself who make serving an honor. Oh, and if you don't mind, keep the advice coming! Take care
Or as the sign on the school house wall said "Suffer patiently and patiently suffer"

Also maybe it would be easier to set up a tech day in your area if one of the guys with the tools needed (or if you have them) is willing to host it.

It is nice to have another HOG on the board.....