Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Mig Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Squid

Tsperez is on a distinguished road
Mig Installation

I just got a 1998 Super Hawk with the MIG high mount mufflers. They are only hanging from the rear brace that is by the brake light. The passenger foot rest brackets are not mounted. I see pictures where some of these systems have a bracket from the bottom of the muffler to the foot rest bracket.

Are these center brackets required? My mufflers have the holes in them but no brackets.

Thanks,
tsp
My Blog: Motorcycle Touring
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Googled mig high mount exhaust vtr1000f photo. Got this.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...exhaust-17325/
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah you'll need them or need to make some. Lol I sent you the same link when you asked in my for sale post. Take a look at the pictures in my for sale ad. The back side pics give you an idea what they look like. Sorry I sold a pair of these awhile back and one of the brackets was bent so I had to take it off, flatten it out and rebend it. Had I known I would have made a pattern for you. But again I'm sure you can cut a pattern out of cardboard or thin sheet metal while they're mounted on the bike so you can make a pair.

Last edited by captainchaos; 12-30-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Squid

Thanks for the advise. In addition to making the bracket that attaches to the bottom of the can I assume I need to buy some longer bolts and get a proper length spacer for the foot peg hanger. I'm going to Home Depot to look for the spacers and longer bolts.

Once again, thanks for the help. Only my third day with this bike. It's awesome!

tsp
Blog: Motorcycle Touring
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yes you will need longer bolts and spacers. Good luck but I already tried Lowes and Home Depot and I tried everything they had. I got close but everything was a little too short. If I recall the spacers for most any of these high mounts are around 2". Save some time and just go to a bolt supply (if you have one near you). I have one about 45 minutes from me and if they don't have it they probably don't make it.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:58 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Yes you will need longer bolts and spacers. Good luck but I already tried Lowes and Home Depot and I tried everything they had. I got close but everything was a little too short. If I recall the spacers for most any of these high mounts are around 2". Save some time and just go to a bolt supply (if you have one near you). I have one about 45 minutes from me and if they don't have it they probably don't make it.
Good advise, Home Depot and Law's have a very limited metric bolts, I have tried them as well... though aluminum rods and brackets you do have a better choice at Low's over Home Depot.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Squid

I'm not sure it's the best thing to do but I made my own brackets from aluminum bar stock. Connects where the bracket for the passenger foot rest connected and to the front bolt under the MIG. The bracket goes behind the muffler so it's a cleaner install. I'm thinking of adding a bracket from the front bracket hole to the new brace for looks but it will also make it stronger.

Hope it holds up... and thanks for everybody's advise.
tsp
Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tsperez
I'm not sure it's the best thing to do but I made my own brackets from aluminum bar stock. Connects where the bracket for the passenger foot rest connected and to the front bolt under the MIG. The bracket goes behind the muffler so it's a cleaner install. I'm thinking of adding a bracket from the front bracket hole to the new brace for looks but it will also make it stronger.

Hope it holds up... and thanks for everybody's advise.
tsp
The original bracket connects in a similar way on the MIG's
If the brackets are strong enough to support the MIG, and it doesn't seem heavy anyway, you got no issues, creativity is a great thing and if it works we all support new idea's