Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Brake Master Cylinder replacement

Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Squid

sleepyq2227 is on a distinguished road
Brake Master Cylinder replacement

Hello guys, I am brand new to the forum and have been poking around doing some reading the past couple weeks trying to determine what mods to do first. Brakes and Suspension seem to be the consensus. I just bought my bike yesterday and need to immediately replace the front brake master cylinder as it is shot so I'm starting w/ the brake mods first. I've read about a lot of different setups w/ new calipers and/or master cylinders that work but I'd prefer to stick w/ the stock calipers and rotors for now. So my question is...should I simply rebuild the stock master cylinder or should I swap in a different master cylinder even though I plan to stick w/ the stock caliper/rotor combo?

I'm a 195lb guy who does track days all the time in my car. But I don't plan to do any track days on the bike in the near future. I'm simply looking for whatever upgrade will give me better feel and confidence under hard and panic stop braking situations. Do I need to replace the rear master to match what I do up front? Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
You don't need to do the rear master, just leave the rear brakes alone as they are good enough.

As for the front Master Cyl, the stock Calipers' pistons are tiny so if you are going to keep them, don't go too large on the replacement. Either rebuild the stock ones, or get one that isn't that much larger.. because a larger Master Cyl with the stock calipers will decrease your leverage requiring more force (but less lever travel) to brake..

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum... if you are already changing the MC, change the calipers and lines... there is a whole Rc set up on Speedzilla for 175 or so... ( not sure if stainless lines). you can peace a set together that will work also for cheaper.

there is a list of direct and almost direct bolt on mc's and calipers on the forum somewhere, maybe someone will bring that up..

good luck and welcome.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I rarely use the rear brake, and have never worn out a set of rear pads on any bike I've owned. But some Forum members have reported that the rear locks up too easily with aftermarket pads, and they have gone back to stock Honda pads.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Brake mod was the first that I did. The bike already knows how to go fast - didn't know **** about slowing down. And I'm 30lbs lighter than you. The front suspension came next and I caught a brother bailing on his bike and scored a Penske that fall. When you hear or read members saying "new bike" - it really is. But first you have to make it stop.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Get new fork springs too, that in itself will make a huge difference in both braking and handling.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:01 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome. Quick answer: CCT's fail - replace asap with manual ones. Stock fork springs are weak. Change them for your weight(race tech). Front brakes; use SS brake lines and larger calipers and MC for a better feel and greater stopping power. I'm using 01' GSXR 6-pot calipers and CBR600 F4I MC. Big difference. Don't forget to use the "search" feature to learn more about what other mods are available.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Squid

sleepyq2227 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice guys. If I can get a new caliper/rotor/MC setup for $200-$300 I will go that route. Now I just need to figure out what the best setup for that is. I'll try to find that RC setup on Speedzilla and will search for other threads on the recommended brake setups. Looks like RC51 and CBR replacement stuff seems to be the way to go.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sleepyq2227
Thanks for the advice guys. If I can get a new caliper/rotor/MC setup for $200-$300 I will go that route. Now I just need to figure out what the best setup for that is. I'll try to find that RC setup on Speedzilla and will search for other threads on the recommended brake setups. Looks like RC51 and CBR replacement stuff seems to be the way to go.
Rotors are fine, you don't need to mess with them.

As for other options.. F4i and RC51 are basically identical and good options. Other options are 929 and 954, or 00-01 GSXR1000 or 01-03 (ish) GSXR 600/750.

The issue with the Honda parts is that they need a tiny bit of grinding with a dremel to fit the mounts..

The only thing with the GSXR setup is that their Reservoirs are made to mount to the clipons and Honda mounts theirs to the Master Cyl directly. So you will have to fab a Res mount.

So if you use a Honda Master Cyl and a GSXR caliper you have the easiest bolt on option. lol. Or you just deal with one of the two easy issues and keep a complete setup from either.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Superstock

here are two options -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASTE...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
MotoGP

For the money F4i calipers are hard to beat.. they have the same piston size as the RC51 parts and cost way less.. only difference is they are black rather than gold: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item3ca6e1f3f0

And a F4i MC is cheap too: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item2a0231518b

Complete for $99 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item19b705c261

I got mine for $75 shipped since I was able to wait for a deal.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Superstock

but the RC ones are GOLD!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Another thing you can consider is a front end swap. You can usually find these for 4-500 dollars without a wheel, but it includes triple clamps, forks, brakes, and some extra crap that you can sell.
That would eliminate the need to get better stuff for your forks, and it will handle better than a race-setup stock front end.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20511
Old 10-29-2009, 01:03 PM
MotoGP

That's the way to go!! Cheap, good!!