Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Big Man Little Bike Shock Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Squid

fairfoebass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Big Man Little Bike Shock Recommendations

Hey guys, total newb to the site here and new to VTR ownership, (i pick up my first '98 on Tuesday). I've owned an old cbr600 for awhile now and it had so many quirks I didnt know if it was me or the bike making me hang on for dear life half the time. Finally stepping up to a real platform more tailored to me... Or at least im hoping it is. I'm 6'1" and 340lbs. thats a big load for anything short of a vtx1800 but ive ridden sport bikes for years without meeting terra firma once. My question is what recommendations do you guys have for a better rear shock set up that may be better equipped to handle my... "petite" frame? Any ideas will help as I have huge plans for this bike and look forward to sharing her with you guys as it goes. Thanks in advance for all the help! BTW- you can thank yourselves for gaining another VTR in the ranks, I was researching them as a possiblity and once i found this site and read all your comments I was sold. Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I'm in the same boat as you, except the waterline on my boat is a bit shallower at 225#! Your best bet is to get a Wilbers, Penske, or Ohlins sprung for your weight. They're not cheap but if you want proper suspension setup then it's just one of those things you'll have to accept, like paying more for clothes, etc.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Penske

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I'm in the same boat as you, except the waterline on my boat is a bit shallower at 225#! Your best bet is to get a Wilbers, Penske, or Ohlins sprung for your weight. They're not cheap but if you want proper suspension setup then it's just one of those things you'll have to accept, like paying more for clothes, etc.

+1 on what Greg said...he's forgotten more about these bikes than most folks will ever know
and so far the least expensive rear shock I've found is a Penske...once I get mine installed I'll be glad to give you my impressions!
RC
Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 AM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
im 6'5" and 205.. but my dad is 6'2" and about 290, his gut is too big for the low bars, and the suspension is getting close (i think the wieght limit is arround 400)... you will probably be ok if your riding solo all the time... but if you do swap out i would go w/ ohlins..
Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
I'm 6'0 275 I have a penske rear shock set up for racing, because of the levrage ratio of the hawks you may end up haveing to go with custom springs for the hawk I'm using a 1500 spring which is about as big as they come off the rack. the bike really can use all the adjustability. but if your going the cheap route a new spring on the stock shock will at least keep you from bottoming out the shock. you'll need new front springs as well and those will definatly need to be custom. racetech only go's up to 1.0 and I know for my weight I need 1.05. you can call my suspention guy he can get u custom springs for a good price. http://www.ororcycle.com let him know gamba sent you and he will give you all your options from $$$$$$$ to buget work to get the best bang for the buck.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Squid

fairfoebass is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for all the ideas, i have started looking into the penske set up so any info on how that feels under you will be greatly appreciated. maybe i should just do the healthy thing and lose some weight for the sake of my superhawk.....
Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by fairfoebass
Thanks for all the ideas, i have started looking into the penske set up so any info on how that feels under you will be greatly appreciated. maybe i should just do the healthy thing and lose some weight for the sake of my superhawk.....
get a road bicycle cuz you'll loose weight and have another set of wheels to work on...I ride an Orbea

http://www.orbea-usa.com/fly.aspx
Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fairfoebass
fat and happy is easier though
Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by sassage
fat and happy is easier though
true dat!...looking at starting a training program for ASAP for a Century Race in the Ga mountains called Six Gap Century on 09-28-08, but having a hard time getting motivated after suffering so much doing the 175 mile Race Across FL last month