Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Airbox mod on a SH ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Squid

99Timemachine is on a distinguished road
Airbox mod on a SH ??

Can someone fill me in on this ? i've read here and there about Airbox mods, but haven't heard what the purpose is and what benefits there may be from it on a SH. Haven't seen any tech advise on how to do it either. I have a 99 that's plenty fast with the current setup. Just wondering if there's any advantages to the mod. Anybody got answers on this ?

Pic of my black 99 attached.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:35 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The only mod I know of that works involvs removing the screwed in plastic deflector found in the top of the airbx, combined with the extending lip on the OEM airfilter (cut it so it is flush with the top of the filter element). quick and easy to do. Slight improvement in throttle response and engine smoothness.

cheers
Mikstr
Old 06-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Squid

99Timemachine is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info, but i won't be able to do this since it's already been done. I'm already using a K&N filter so no mod. to do there and the deflector has been removed, the PAIR mod. has also been done. This bike was used as a track bike before i bought it, so they knew what they were doing.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:41 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
AFAIK, no one has found one that works. Plenty have tried.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:03 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep...I'm all for the mods but this one I've stayed away from. Just as Jshmidt said lots have tried and I've yet to see anything worth doing. The purpose would be to get more air but with the mods I've seen it just doesn't work well enough.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
There are many things the Honda engineers could have done better. Carburetion and airbox design is not one of those things. Leave the airbox alone except for those few small things mentioned above and you'll be happy for a long time. Want more air? Exhaust, cams, and pistons are pretty much your options here.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
airbox mods

Ok~

so i may be stupid and not really too quick on the motorcycle modifications yet, but what was the deal with removing the airbox cover and the plastic piece? What was that last part? How is this helping my throttle response?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Leave the airbox cover. Remove the cross brace thingy inside. Don't know the purpose, just that it can obstruct airflow. Leave the rubber snorkel on the front of the lid.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:52 AM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
Right on, I will have to try that. Thanks for the assistance Greg.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Remove this and it should provide a little better cool air

Old 07-02-2006, 05:39 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I've done what Calitoz describes on mine. I can't say that it's any better, though I did notice some high speed surging afterwards so it must be doing something. I also notice that I need to clean my filter a lot more often now because everything gets sucked in there. That might be the reason Honda put that piece there in the first place. They care about reliability/durability first and performance second I think. Which is good!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
I've done what Calitoz describes on mine. I can't say that it's any better, though I did notice some high speed surging afterwards so it must be doing something. I also notice that I need to clean my filter a lot more often now because everything gets sucked in there. That might be the reason Honda put that piece there in the first place. They care about reliability/durability first and performance second I think. Which is good!
That is bound to happen when the vacuum of the engine is allowed to be fed directly from a non constricted source. I put a nylon stocking over the inlet of the filter's box nozzle to remove some bigger debris. This helps alot.