Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Airbox experiments update

Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Airbox experiments update

As mentioned in a previous thread, I have been playing around with teh airbox trying to unleash the beast within, lol

So far, I had a good look under the gas tank and saw that Honda didn’t leave much room for expanding the present airbox (confirmed with my foam insulation idea, although there is a bit of room at the very back of the box, not sure if I trust my fibreglass fabrication skills enough to tackle that one though). I did, however, raise the OEM air filter (by cutting off teh small border ridge of an old filter) about 6 mm (most I could get away with without tank interference... tried 12 mm and it hung up the tank!), in effect moving it away from the intake runners. I then extended the intake runners by the same amount (made extensions from cutting and dremeling extra runners, lengths are now 6 mm longer than stock at the back and about 20 mm longer at the front) to try to get a bit more bottom and mid-range torque out of the deal. I then took out the separator in the snorkel which pulls air into the airbox (read on another Web forum that this is good for 2 hp on dyno). I then “put the dremel” to the snorkel so as to open it up some more (reducing air restriction). AS the snorkel is a separate piece that is “grometted” into the airbox cover, I opened up the hole in the cover and re-inserted the snorkel in such a way as to open it up further (essentially rounding out the top and bottom straight edges to increase the area). I richened up teh jetting a bit via the Flo-Commander (1/2 turn on the adjustment screw) to compensate for the increased airflow. So far the results are encouraging as the response feels better (sear I can hear a bit of intake noise now too)…although I acknowledge the seat-of-the-pants dyno isn't necessarily the most accurate, I hope to run it on a dyno in the coming weeks.

I am debating whether or not to try to work on a ram-air system as these types of set-ups tend to really come into their own at higher speeds and, as I ride on the street and want to keep my driver’s license (cruising speed is about 75 mph with occasional bursts to pass vehicles), it may be a case of diminishing returns. I'll have to ponder that one.

I'll keep you folks posted as the games continue
Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
You and I have talked about this before, but I reckon you are on the right track. You will know when you have gone too far, as you will end up with the carby problems I did most probably! LOL.

I will get back to that one day....... maybe if I wait long enough you will have it worked out for me!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Back Marker

jamesvtr is on a distinguished road
Any Update On This Just Curious
Old 04-25-2007, 08:30 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Nothing at the moment, been busy on other things, sorry