Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Aftermarket needles/availability

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket needles/availability

My deal is that I've got these Yoshi pipes that I got over the winter from another forum member, and I don't have a jet kit. From what I understand, the Yoshis may end up needing the least radical jetting changes, so I was thinking of either shimming my stock needle or just getting aftermarket needles. It would be great if I didn't have to pull the carbs.

Does anyone know if one of those 2 ideas would work? And is there a way to buy just the needles so I have clip position flexibility? I will eventually jet it, but I'd like to just get the bike back together without having to pull the carbs.

Thanks in advance, Scoob (Matt)
Old 02-26-2007, 03:03 PM
SuperSport

I might add that my elevation here is 400ft, and when I ride I usually go a bit up in elevation, but probably keep it under 1500ft, 99% of the time. Uhh, it gets a little humid in the summer, as I live on the east coast, north of DC. Uhh, the bike is an '05, if that matters. I am running a stock filter and airbox, and plan to keep it that way. Any other info you want, ask away!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
you can do the rear but not front, you gotta pull them. I would just do a dynojet kit at the same time, why pull em twice if you can do it once?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
SuperSport

Very true. I don't like the idea of drilling, but I guess it can be undone with JB Weld. It seems there are some very mixed opinions on Dynojet vs Factory Pro. I had had my mind made up for the longest time on Factory Pro, but so many people seem to love Dynojet. This just means I have another tough decision to make. If it comes to a coin flip, I'd have to go with whatever is cheaper.

Is one better than the other for standard vs. aftermarket filters?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
Very true. I don't like the idea of drilling, but I guess it can be undone with JB Weld. It seems there are some very mixed opinions on Dynojet vs Factory Pro. I had had my mind made up for the longest time on Factory Pro, but so many people seem to love Dynojet. This just means I have another tough decision to make. If it comes to a coin flip, I'd have to go with whatever is cheaper.

Is one better than the other for standard vs. aftermarket filters?
+1 on the Factory Pro kit with K&N filrter and 4 degree Factory Pro Ignition advance.

What ever choice you make, you will more than likely be pulling the tank 2 or 3 times to fine tune the needle position, main jet size and air screws.

If you get it perfect the first time you need to go on the road and a magician.

It is a little time consumming, but well worth the results.

I am running Jardine High mounts and will try and dig up my final setting if interested. I am at 500 feet above sea level.

One last thing, you should consider the 48 pilot jets, the Factory Pro kit originally came with 50 48 pilots, but when i bought mine they were supplying 50's which were two big and caused a steady cruise surge problem. I ordered the 48's thru my local Honda Dealer.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The stock (45) pilots should work fine in this application. I have slipons, ported heads and high compression pistons and the 45 pilots work well.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:46 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
+2 on the Factory Pro. I don't know of anyone who claims to 'love' the Dynojet kits, some people reported that they the kits have worked for them. I've always found them to be junk, the drilling of the slides is only one of my gripes.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
+2 on the Factory Pro. I don't know of anyone who claims to 'love' the Dynojet kits, some people reported that they the kits have worked for them. I've always found them to be junk, the drilling of the slides is only one of my gripes.
i love my dynojet
Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
SuperSport

Well, I guess I'll search around for a while more, and see if this conversation steers me in one direction or the other. If I buy a jet kit, I might as well do it soon. I'd like to be done with the jetting issues come mid-april. Thanks for the input guys.

Man... I wish there were some objective way to decide which jet kit is right for me. Is it really completely subjective? Can anyone explain how the drilled slide in the DJ kit works differently? Is it just for the purpose of being able to use a different taper on the needle? Does the explanation get any more specific than that?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
My understanding is that it works in conjunction with the supplied slide springs to change the rate at which the slides open.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
My vote: Factory.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
SuperSport

My two dirt riding friends, who are the fastest folks I know on the street, and have both worked for years at Harley or other shops around this area both vote Dynojet. They seem to act like it's the real deal.

My understanding from reading through the forum is that Factory Pro is easier to tune with, and possibly easier to get right on the first try. Ahhh!!! I'm gonna end up with whatever I'm convinced into getting at the last minute. The jet kit will be ordered in under a week. Grrr... Someone tell me there's no right answer!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
there's no right answer.
and yes, the dynojet is highly regarded but it seems that on the 'Hawks what's normal ain't always the best. 'Hawks are just...different...and like different parts/style/tuning than most bikes. weird, I know but that's one of the reasons we love 'em.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Back Marker

superfast and super respondsive
Old 03-02-2007, 08:52 PM
SuperSport

Say.. would it make any difference in anyone's answer if I said I was going to do the work myself, and not bother to get the thing dynoed anytime soon? This is tough. The impression I get is that Dynojet, in general, is the hot ****, but for our Superchickens, Factory makes the kit that's more standard/tends to have less surging/is more tuning-friendly/etc.

I dunno. I'm gonna throw all my fairings back on now that I've fixed my forks and disabled the PAIR valves, and see how she runs with the Yoshis. Then maybe the spirit will move me to buy one or the other.