Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Advice on what I've done so far ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Squid

firedawg1998 is on a distinguished road
Advice on what I've done so far ???

Thanks for reading
Picked up my first 01 Vtr. Love many things about it but the PO tinkered with it so I,m trying to straighten some things out.
Installing Hindle Low mounts and cleaning carb up. Sat for a year and idle was crap. So far found the carbs were completely loose in the grommets it has the dreaded K&N.
Figure if I'm installing the pipes I'd go with 1 up on the Pilot and shim Mod for the stock needles. I have the PO's dj kit but the reviews are averagely bad and the one needle looks rotten at the bottom. I'm considering removin/ Blocking the Pare system to avoid any decel backfires. PO complained that was why he was not running the pipes. I want the sound.
question?
Is one up on the pilot going to be enough
.4 shim okay enough
Recommended to block off the pare while I'm in there

Race mechanic/ engine builder recommend not touching the mains 175/178 just yet. Said 9 outa 10 backfire issues is a lean slow circuit, leaking exhaust gaskets or the pare causing issues.

Any similar problems and fixes i would love to hear before I bolt her back together.
Great forum by the way
jason
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i've been down the pilot jet road and just as many have said i returned to the stock #45 and 2.5 to 2.75 turns out.

i'm running 178/180 mains and have good color on the plugs ( checking after track days ).

adding a shim to the stock needle has worked for many people...

tim

btw: yes remove the PAIR plumbing & check the TPS. i couldn't tell if your removing the DJ kit or just
have it in hand ? the DJ kit requires a hole drilled in the slides that will be to be plugged if returning to the stock needles.

Last edited by trinc; 03-02-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I have had the opposite work best for me. Stock mains and #48 pilots so I don't know what to tell you. As for the shim size .040 -.060 seems to work the best
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Squid

thanks for the feedback and insight folks.
PO had the dj kit and removed it, I could see where the slide hold was drilled and now plugged. the fact that the carbs were loose and the 45 pilots were obstructed, likely is my rough idling issues.
I though I might be able to just put marbles in the pair houses and leave it as that. Is flipping the reed thingy the Vtr way. My chum just put the "Marble mod" in his busa and it cured backfire and flames.
Will look into setting the tps, haven't yet.
thanks again.
Jason
Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
from all the vtr's I have worked on I can tell you they are all definitely different no one setup is a guarantee to work perfectly. However I think most vtr's don't need to have the pilots switched.

Also another thing to note. You have alot of ideas of things to change. I would caution you to try the most likely stuff first then if the desired result is still missing take it one step at a time until the problem is fixed. So for instance no reason to throw in different mains when you have an idle issue. No reason to fiddle with the pilots when the carb boots are loose. Button everything up test then tune. Also on the dynojet kit, the hole doesn't need to be filled if the stock needle is used it needs to be filled if the stock spring is being used. I ran my carbs for a brief time with stock needles and DJ springs with the hole in slide and it ran the same as the same setting on the DJ needle.

DJ spring is aprox 8 in
Stock Spring is aprox 12 in
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Squid

Oh. That's good info. thanks. I put the carbs back to stock, springs and all, just raised the original needle and figured one up on the pilot because i was adding the hindles. Removing the pair as well. Then I see where I'm at. PO took pipes off cause ofthe way he ran. Which was
pipes, 180/185 dj needle 3rd clip, dj spring. lots of flames and backfires.
Figured I'd give the hawk a fresh start and go from there.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
I am running 48 pilots and it idles strong. with the 45 at 2.75, I was lean. with the 48, I seems to have better pull off idle.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Squid

IN the last week I have been reading post until my eyes ache and I've found alot of folks that have done exactly that, so I'm waitin on the 48 pilots.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I ran the #48 pilots and it got rid of decel popping for me, with TBR exhaust cans and later a full exhaust system. I had already removed the PAIR, by turning the reed over.

Some people like the K&N filter, but it does require rejetting the mains.

With stock jetting, go with a stock filter. I ran dynojets with a stock filter and set the needles to get rid of the 3-4k stumble.

I had a problem with the engine falling on it's face at high altitude (>7000 ft) and dropped the main jets one size. But doing that made it lean at sea level. It was a compromise for me, because I did a lot of riding in the mountains.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
I had a problem with the engine falling on it's face at high altitude (>7000 ft) and dropped the main jets one size. But doing that made it lean at sea level. It was a compromise for me, because I did a lot of riding in the mountains.
Sounds like you needed a Flo-Commander
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Squid

I going to have to maybe track a stock filter down. This one doesn't say K&N anywhere it's just has red filter material and , well it looks just like any filter I know is a K&N. No honda dealer around here, have to look for regular paper, aftermarket maybe.
RCVTR when you had just the cans, did you change the mains during, leave stock or change after you had any issues. Just wondering if you ran it with stock jets and what you learned.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Squid

MIKSTR
Avatar say you were born in 1902, this bike must be comfortable, your 108 this year. Nice bike though...