Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

929/954 headstem bearing numbers needed

Old 08-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Squid

Mithrandir
929/954 headstem bearing numbers needed

Can't seem to find this anywhere around here. I'm doing the usual front end conversion, but can't seem to find the details on the specific bearing numbers that people have used. Ideally I'd like to put in tapered roller bearings, but the bearing numbers for ***** would be fine. The stock cages I have don't fit the races that are already in the VTR, so using Honda items obviously won't work.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:35 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 929/954 headstem bearing numbers needed

Just order the bearings for the 929/954 stem, that's what came with my triples and the races went right in. Knock out the old ones from the oppisite sides,(top from bottom,bottom from top), there's a little notch in the head where you use your punch. It's actually pretty simple to do.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Squid

Mithrandir
That's interesting, because the numbers I looked up on the Ron Ayers set of fiche said the ODs were different by a couple of mm. OK. I'll run with those then or try to find an equivalent set of tapered roller bearings.

As for the actual replacement, yes I know how to do that. I've done a few dozen sets over the years, not to mention a lot of other bearings (wheels in cars, bikes, aircraft etc), just needed to know part numbers that others had used.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:44 AM
MotoGP

Sorry, didn't know your skill level just trying to help a brother out.

But seriously that's what came with my 954 triples and they were The tapered bearing, Bonus!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Squid

Mithrandir
No worries. Just wanted to let you know I'm well and truly comfortable on the spanner-twirling side of things. I actually used to be qualified for maintenance, minor and major repairs for gliders (not hang gliders, the big white ones). Mechanics and custom composite fibre work are somewhat of a speciality of mine, even though I work as a computer hacker by day :P
Old 08-27-2005, 10:59 AM
MotoGP

Nice, cook me up some new fairings then. I used to be an auto mech. but there are some subtle differences.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Squid

Mithrandir
Fairings are realtively easy if I have one to work from. Would you be looking to just replace the stock with same but in c/f or something completely different (like a new lower?).

My next project will be a custom tank for my streetfighter project. I've got a stock tank I'm taking a mould from and will be building my own from that with some extra capacity. I'll wait to see the final outcome before I offer tanks to anyone else, however. If it works out well, I'll definitely offer them up to the people here. I've only just moved to a new place and don't have a lot of my old composite tooling any more. I'll need to craft up a new hotbox and a few other things. I suspect it will be 4-5 months before I can start on the tank or any serious composites work. If you dig around my website link there you'll find a link to a custom-fitted undertail NOS bottle that I did to a friend's Blackbird here a couple of years ago.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:51 PM
MotoGP

Re: 929/954 headstem bearing numbers needed

WHOA slow down there. I would LOVE another fairing but after this front end conversion I think the wife would castrate me. She's already getting jealous and I see her give "it" the evil eye. (I have to say "it" if I call "it" a girl, "it's" no nookie for me!)

Now that I've said that, how about something a little like the 1000rr, only showing more engine.