Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

900rr fork swap

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 1,082
HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Angry 900rr fork swap

I'm going crazy trying to find the thread that has all of the fork conversions listed with the required parts.

I have a line on 94 CBR 900rr forks and want to be sure I buy the needed parts and what I recall is that this is a very straight forward swap. Just need to verify what I recall.

Also I seem to recall that a gullwing top clamp from another of the 900/929/954 family woks better at getting the bars "above the topclamp" pls help me verify by pointing me to the right threads.
HRCA#1 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM
  #2  
Fastest Color
SuperBike
 
FL02SupaHawk996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lithia, FL
Posts: 2,091
FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1 View Post
I'm going crazy trying to find the thread that has all of the fork conversions listed with the required parts.

I have a line on 94 CBR 900rr forks and want to be sure I buy the needed parts and what I recall is that this is a very straight forward swap. Just need to verify what I recall.

Also I seem to recall that a gullwing top clamp from another of the 900/929/954 family woks better at getting the bars "above the topclamp" pls help me verify by pointing me to the right threads.
Here's mine, but it's an RC51 conversion:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...nd-swap-14855/
FL02SupaHawk996 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 249
slo1 is on a distinguished road
900rr everything. Gull type 929/954 top triple would be a bit big in the hole department.
slo1 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
7moore7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,867
7moore7 is on a distinguished road
This is probably the thread you're looking for:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...p-guide-23751/

929 and 954 are USD forks so completely different from 900rr
7moore7 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 1,082
HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks 7moore7 that's not the one I had in mind but it will certainly do the trick!!

Another question...the 94CBR900 forks differ slightly from 96,97 I hear it's lacking external compression damping anyone shed any light on that or other differences?
HRCA#1 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 AM
  #6  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yes, and it's also considerably lighter sprung, so unless you are lightweight, you will need new internals on the new forks, otherwise it's not an upgrade compared to stock...
Tweety is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 1,082
HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tweety,

I figured I would have to do that anyway, but after reading your info the later forks are probably closer in spring rate as I am 190lbs. Oh well looks like I'll be buying springs after all!!
HRCA#1 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
  #8  
road racer v2 power
Superstock
 
lloydievtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: coventry england
Posts: 265
lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
you want 94-97 forks 97 are better and you will need triple clamps
wheel spindle and spacers
front fender and brackets
after market clip ons or top yoke conversion to use renthal bars
be a good idea to replace fork bushes seals and springs and you will need to make a new
fork spring spacer (ali tv Arial tube works very well and its cheep)
5w oil
and head race bearings
and up grade the brakes wile your at it cbr600f4i calipers and master cylinder are the best to use
lloydievtr is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM
  #9  
Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 45
Ons'Ro is on a distinguished road
How do you tell the year of a particular set of forks? I found a stamp on the inside of the slider. It is circular with a 5 in the middle. Would that be a '95 set up?

Also, does anyone know what year 955 front fender one would use or are they all the same. And, just to make sure, you use all 955 mounting hardware/brackets, right?
Ons'Ro is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 249
slo1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ons'Ro View Post
How do you tell the year of a particular set of forks? I found a stamp on the inside of the slider. It is circular with a 5 in the middle. Would that be a '95 set up?

Also, does anyone know what year 955 front fender one would use or are they all the same. And, just to make sure, you use all 955 mounting hardware/brackets, right?
Look at the lower fork leg. If there is an adjustment screw (compression) right below the lower caliper mount they are 96-97 (98 & 99 too ?). If not they are ealry (94-95) and are rebound only (screw at the top on the preload adjusters). They will all work in 900rr triples, but be sure they are pre 98 as the fork spacing changed which will wreak havoc with wheels/calipers/rotors.
slo1 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
  #11  
Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 45
Ons'Ro is on a distinguished road
So, I would want to re-spring for my weight no matter what spring is in there if it is a stock spring. And, how would one tell if the spring is stock?
Ons'Ro is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 1,082
HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by lloydievtr View Post
you want 94-97 forks 97 are better and you will need triple clamps
wheel spindle and spacers
front fender and brackets
after market clip ons or top yoke conversion to use renthal bars
be a good idea to replace fork bushes seals and springs and you will need to make a new
fork spring spacer (ali tv Arial tube works very well and its cheep)
5w oil
and head race bearings
and up grade the brakes wile your at it cbr600f4i calipers and master cylinder are the best to use
Talk to me about the top yoke conversion..is that to go with old school superbike bars? And what the hell are Ali tv arial tubes?
HRCA#1 is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
mikstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,561
mikstr is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...version-19071/

900RR forks got compression adjustment in 95. 98-99 have different triples (10mm wider span between stanchions, different offset, different caliper mounts to accommodate 310mm rotors)
mikstr is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
  #14  
Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 45
Ons'Ro is on a distinguished road
I see you have this conversion mikstr. Do you have the cbr fender or 955 fender? How much rise is in the Apex clipons? And, if '95 has a different spring rate than the '96-97, how do I know what year I have? Are the years wound differently? Are the springs a different lenth? My set does have compression adjustment.
Ons'Ro is offline  
Old 01-13-2012, 06:18 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
mikstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,561
mikstr is on a distinguished road
I have a 955 carbon copy fender (ran an OEM 955 fender for a couple of years, however). The stock 900RR fender is hideous IMO.

As for the internals info, regrettably I don`t have that info, sorry. Have a look at the Racetech site. My looking up in the Gold Valve kit and spring section, you can see the OEM spring rate (is listed for each bike).

I think my Apex risers are the 3" version, set almost to max (giving me essentially the same position and VTR1000 Helibars).

Hope that helps.

cheers
mikstr is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 02:21 PM
  #16  
CPT Obvious
Squid
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Richland, Washington
Posts: 39
kbyers is on a distinguished road
mikstr knows what he is talking about, I bought the parts for my swap from him. 96/97 forks are easy to find on ebay if you are patient. The ones that I found needed to be rebuilt so they got sent to Jamie and I will have forks set up for me when I get them back. If you are going to do a swap to increase performance you might as well get the most out of it that you can
kbyers is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Douglas the Home of the Isle of Man TT
Posts: 24
reg1972 is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by mikstr View Post
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...version-19071/

900RR forks got compression adjustment in 95. 98-99 have different triples (10mm wider span between stanchions, different offset, different caliper mounts to accommodate 310mm rotors)
Ahh some one that speaks from experiance I hope.
I have just done the conversion to 98 fireblade forks.
A local guy made up my wheel spacers for the VTR wheels and a set for some CBR600 wheels.
I have noticed my Rotors are to small by around 10mm !
Now I have been told that rc30 rotors are the way forward.
Could I please get some advice before I buy the RC30 equipment.
reg1972 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
thedeatons
Technical Discussion
5
08-02-2013 04:40 PM
HRCA#1
Technical Discussion
2
01-29-2012 12:15 PM
Dan C
Modifications - Performance
10
07-25-2011 11:18 AM
taskmasta
General Discussion
4
05-19-2008 09:25 PM
mikstr
Technical Discussion
16
04-18-2008 03:03 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 900rr fork swap


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands