Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

6 Piston Brakes 1 finger stopping power!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Originally Posted by chingbaby";p=&quot
Anyone have any thoughts on combining this mod with wave rotors? Saw a set on kneedraggers that are made for the vtr. My guestimate is that the only issue would be the outside diameter of the rotor with the GSXR calipers. I'm more worried about too much clearance rather than too little.
As long as the wave rotors are designed to be oem replacements, there should be no issues of fitment or excessive space on the outside. I think the visual of the wavy rotor design leads one to think there's just not enough there to get the job done, when in fact there is plenty but with the added bonus of unsprung weight savings.

Superbliing's pics encouraged me to buy the 6-pot calipers from a friend since they really do match up pretty well..
I did purchase the rear Galfer wave rotor off E-bay a couple weeks ago. The fronts are too much $$ for me to justify at this point. I'll wait til my oem rotors warp, then sign me up!!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:10 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: 6 Piston Brakes 1 finger stopping power!

My gixxer front brake system has galfer greens in it. I consider these pads as merely OK (they don't suck either). With them I easily pull lame stoppies. I have a set of ebc hh pads on the way. I assume with those performance will go up another notch but I know "I" will never do rolling stoppies!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Squid

MOTOBENSON

I'm thinking about doing one of these brake mod's. The GSXR caliper swap looks like the easy straight forward way. I've been riding the wife's F2 a little lately and that thing stops on a dime so the F4i swap interests me too.
For those that have done the F4i mod what is the bore size on the stock M/C? How much did you have to grind away and what did you use to do the grinding?
For those of you that have done the GSXR mod what is the bore size on the stock Suzuki M/C?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MOTOBENSON";p=&quot
I
For those of you that have done the GSXR mod what is the bore size on the stock Suzuki M/C?
Sorry dude, I don't know.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk

I scored the calipers on Ebay for $100 and a master cylinder for $30 both from a 2001 Gsxr 1000. I already had stainless lines as well so relatively decent priced upgrade.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Squid

Monomaster
Originally Posted by ericsuperhawk";p=&quot
See folks do any of you roll stoppies? I used to do some killa stoppies on my gixxer and now that I'm sporting a superhawk I can't find anybody that does stoppies on a stock set-up. I don't want to spend a ton on money getting a 954 fron tend on this thing so can somebody out there tell me if they are rolling some good stoppies on a stock 98 superhawk? Thanks! E
Yeah dude, its well & truely possible on a stock set up...

If you log on to http://www.ozfirestorm.com there's a guy on here known as vtr-stunter (he's also a member of this site :wink: ) that does really good stoppies (one handed)!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa

Nice plug there Mono
Old 04-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Squid

yellowvtwin
Originally Posted by Monomaster";p=&quot
Originally Posted by ericsuperhawk";p=&quot
See folks do any of you roll stoppies? I used to do some killa stoppies on my gixxer and now that I'm sporting a superhawk I can't find anybody that does stoppies on a stock set-up. I don't want to spend a ton on money getting a 954 fron tend on this thing so can somebody out there tell me if they are rolling some good stoppies on a stock 98 superhawk? Thanks! E
Yeah dude, its well & truely possible on a stock set up...

If you log on to http://www.ozfirestorm.com there's a guy on here known as vtr-stunter (he's also a member of this site :wink: ) that does really good stoppies (one handed)!
as mono said rolling stoppies can be done on a stock front end braided lines and galfer pads make it easier and changing the fork oil for 10w seemed to help a little aswell
Old 07-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Squid

v2weapon
LESSON LEARNED! I'll pass this one on to hopefully keep others from making this mistake.

This upgrade will NOT work with CBR600F3 forks! I got a set of '02 GSXR1000 calipers w/MC from ebay. They came in this Tuesday last, and Wednesday I went to bolt them on, only to find that the CBR forks, unlike the VTR forks, have equal length brake mounting tabs. You'll notice on the VTR forks that the lower tab is longer than the upper. The CBR forks were swapped onto my bike before I bought it, as a cheap racetrack upgrade.

Now, I have a question that I hope someone here can answer, without me asking it on gixxer.com. I had plans to swap a set of inverted GSXR forks onto my bike, but I've come across a dirt cheap set of stout '02 GSXR600 conventional (non-inverted) forks that I think would work great, without having to hack the fairing so much for clearance. Does anyone know if the 1000 six piston brakes will bolt up to the '02 600 legs? And don't flame me for asking Snoozzooki questions on a Superhawk forum...Doug started this whole mess! :P
Old 07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm almost 100% sure they will as I've seen many gxser people buying 1000 calipers for upgrade on the 600 and 750's and always see the 600 and 750 calipers on ebay saying they will fit the 1000 why you would put those on a 1000 I don't know but the adds always say they fit. Best bet though is to find a gsxr and measure. I know thanks for the wishy washy answer! Glad I could help your very welcome.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Squid

zimm is on a distinguished road
Reviving an old thread:

I'm doing this swap as well. 2002 calipers and HH pads bolted on with no problem. The master cylinder is now on- I cut off the banjo bolt tab, and ground down the hawk brake lever as mentioned in the first post. Glad the picture shows how to rotate the mounting bracket- I'll do that tomorrow. My stainless lines are going to work too. I'll post pics when I'm all done. I'm also doing heli-bars and throttle meister, so there's a few more pieces to complete.

Update: Everything is installed. I took it out for a test run and the brakes feel really powerful, but the EBC directions said to break them in for 250 miles before doing a hard stop. I have some riding to do. Pictures to follow soon...
Old 01-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Squid

zimm is on a distinguished road
Here's the photos. Still breaking them in, but the stopping power is awesome. A little spongy, I'll bleed them again to see if there's any air in there.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by zimm
Here's the photos. Still breaking them in, but the stopping power is awesome. A little spongy, I'll bleed them again to see if there's any air in there.
Man those rotors look GRRRRRREAT with the calipers.

Try this: use a zip tie (or whatever) around the grip to apply the front brake lever. Turn the forks to the left to keep the m/c at it's highest point. Leave overnight. In the morning: rock hard lever. This allows any trapped air bubbles to slowly rise to the highest point in the system which is now the open m/c reservoir.

Good to do periodically on every bike.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If I may...

When the lever is squeezed this closes off the vent to the reservoir.

What the above procedure does is forces any air in the system into solution (brake fluid), much like CO2 is absorbed in carbonated beverages. The absorbed air will then disperse throughout the system overnight. When you release the lever, the pressure goes away and you just essentially opened the bottle to your soda. Tiny bubbles will form and make their way up to the reservoir over time and are small enough to make it through the really fuggin small hole in the master cylinder body.

Probably more than you wanted or needed to know....sorry.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
If I may...

When the lever is squeezed this closes off the vent to the reservoir.

What the above procedure does is forces any air in the system into solution (brake fluid), much like CO2 is absorbed in carbonated beverages. The absorbed air will then disperse throughout the system overnight. When you release the lever, the pressure goes away and you just essentially opened the bottle to your soda. Tiny bubbles will form and make their way up to the reservoir over time and are small enough to make it through the really fuggin small hole in the master cylinder body.

Probably more than you wanted or needed to know....sorry.
I do this 3 or 4 times a year to auto bleed the front brake system. No mess no fuss, you will be amazed how well this will make your brakes feel.

Nice post Greg