Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

520 Conversion, please explain

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
defiantly more of option b than option a.

we have the best answers because we have the best beer and it seems to bring us spiritual enlightenment when we drink it
The key word here is "seems". hahaha

If nothing else, that beer belly resting on the fuel tank will make sure you always have enough weight forward and also enables a phenomenon known as "hanging on" vs the more traditional "hanging off".
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know about that, but I do know that there are few things better than a warm fuel tank between your legs on a cold morning.

I agree with Tweety on the short wheelbase. I have my rear tire tucked right in close to the swingarm. I had to trim my hugger to make it fit.

Wheelie control is the same as throttle control.

And finally, I run 15/42 gearing, because I don't run out of RPM at the end of the front straight, but I'm close.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
I don't know about that, but I do know that there are few things better than a warm fuel tank between your legs on a cold morning.

I agree with Tweety on the short wheelbase. I have my rear tire tucked right in close to the swingarm. I had to trim my hugger to make it fit.

Wheelie control is the same as throttle control.

And finally, I run 15/42 gearing, because I don't run out of RPM at the end of the front straight, but I'm close.
That should probably be nath... But I'm in the same camp... I have my wheel tucked in as close as possible on the SP2 swingarm (still longer wheelbase than stock though) And I'm running 16/42 with 16/43 going on when I swap the rear tire later this week...

I control the amount of front wheel lift with the amount of rear end slip... With a lighter flywheel, and generally more oopmh and shorter gearing getting the rear out or lofting the front isn't exactly a challenge... It's more challenging to not have both ends going haywire at the same time, that still makes me a tad nervous... I prefer one or the other... Especially now in spring with dusty roads...

Actually, now I had a brainfart... I'll go buy myself a good second hand 41 sprocket... I wanna find out if I can make redline in 6'th with my mods... (On track obviuosly, I'm not suicidal)
Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Squid

matrix8705 is on a distinguished road
Quick question. I had just ordered a chain and sprocket set (15/43) from sprocketcenter.com. They said the chain would come to length as needed but it is a 104 link chain. Will i need to cut a link off? Not sure if since changing ratio's that's going to effect chain length as well. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by matrix8705
Quick question. I had just ordered a chain and sprocket set (15/43) from sprocketcenter.com. They said the chain would come to length as needed but it is a 104 link chain. Will i need to cut a link off? Not sure if since changing ratio's that's going to effect chain length as well. Thanks for any help.
102 link works with 15/43, so you'll need to take a link out. Make sure you count them first, though.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:37 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I did 102 links with the 15/43. I don't believe that 104 will work.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
Still here, well, not this weekend, hence the late response.

Of course there are no hard feelings. I saw the smileys and fired back with some. All good.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
It has not been mentioned yet, but if you are installing the chain yourself - one with a press-type master link, it is critical that you swage the end of the copper pins.

I've used a .250" ball bearing (from a bicycle hub) and measured the end of the pin, to make sure that it was at least .005" larger in diameter than before I swaged it. It worked fine, but even that doesn't make me real warm and fuzzy. I just purchased the chain tool with the special pin for swaging the master pin.

If in doubt, have it installed by a mechanic with the proper tool. If it is a master link with a retaining clip, that's another story. I like the permanent, swaged pins.

You don't want your chain wadding up on the countershaft. It can destroy your engine case.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
+1.............yeah. i bought a chain and a couple sprockets and then discovered the chain manufacturer recommended no master link, so I ordered a motion pro cutter and rivit installer. 90 dolla make me holla, but like you said, not worth doing half-assed since the consequences could be ugly. It's a good idea to double check yourself visually and by measurements even when using the appropriate tool, and after riding it's doesn't hurt to check that it's still the same periodically.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Reminds me of the CBR up on the table one time I was getting the beemer inspected. Guy had lost his red leather Honda jacket that he'd bungeed to the seat. Mech was pulling out red leather string from the front shaft in pretty good lengths. Jacket wasn't just gone... more like GONE! Along with various pricy seals, bearings, etc. No sudden stop tho, just started shifting funny, losing oil or something that clued him in.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Squid

996Riders is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
you may want to consider a extra gas container for emergency or at least syphon apparatus to suck off your friends in case. I don't think raising your gearing will help runnin 75mph, but I don't know fer sher cause I ain't don it.
I know this is a old thread but no one said anything about this post says APPARATUS AND SUCK OFF YOUR FRIENDS IN THE SAME SENTENCE LOL
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Firefly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996Riders
I know this is a old thread but no one said anything about this post says APPARATUS AND SUCK OFF YOUR FRIENDS IN THE SAME SENTENCE LOL
TODD FIVE
________
Penny Stock Pick

Last edited by Firefly; 02-27-2011 at 04:48 PM.