Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

520 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
520 conversion

I'm going to be changing my ratios (2 up in the back and maybe 1 down in the front) and am wondering if the weight savings are worth the extra risk, if any, of going to a 520 chain?

Seeing as our bikes are all about torque, not horsepower, is there a point?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 520 conversion

My "Sum Of All Parts" eBay 520 conversion chain & sprockets set have held up OK so far (only 600 miles)

But then again I'm NOT a "Wheelie Meister" like "El Loco"

It was impressively lighter than the stock chain & sprockets. The Vortex alloy 520 rear sprocket is Very light but won't last as long as steel
Old 01-31-2006, 03:22 PM
SuperSport

Loco
I'm running a stock chain, partially because I'm not spending $125 on a 520 and partially because Bill's right, I like me some wheelies, and I don't want to find out the hard way that I should have stuck with my 530. Maybe I'm just paranoid, and you definitely increase torque by reducing all that centrifugal mass, but you're right, it's a risk.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 PM
SuperSport

Pics of 520 sprockets vs. 530 sprockets
http://www.sportbikes.ws/attachment....chmentid=20805

Picture of Loco's last 520 chain conversion (J/K Loco)
http://www.sportbikes.ws/attachment....chmentid=19745
Old 02-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Squid

vtrstunta

NO. not worth it, unless your using your bike for track days...it may shave a second off a lap time, but really not worth it for everyday commuting or whatever... or maybe it's just because i ride my hawk as hard as i possibly can. (that was then... now i wheelie as hard as i possible can)
Old 02-02-2006, 08:44 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a bit of a wheelie nut and have to control myself or I feel shame. I have the S.O.A.P. 520 -1 +2 setup and have had no real wear as of yet and can easily pull the bike up in 2nd, not bad for a short 200 pounder. This also includes 6 full trackdays and about 1000 miles all together but that's not accurate because of the change to the speedo. I also bought a 41 rear that I'm going to use for the street to improve gas mileage and to stop trying to shift into 7th.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point

7th??
Oh hell...I barely get out of 3rd around here!

I need a vacation from this rock.

A motorcycle vacation. Yeah. That's the ticket!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:29 PM
MotoGP

You don't want to come here, flat and straight makes you do stupid ****.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:42 AM
SuperSport

Loco
I can make my bike wheelie in 2nd gear just by looking at it. 4th gear is the challenging one.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:45 AM
MotoGP

That's the advantage of being 150lbs you light bastard, gain some weight why don't you!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Les
Squid

Les

A big NO, unless you're racing and are willing to replace the chain very often. A 520 just isn't enough chain for a 100 hp motorcycle. There's a reason the engineers at Honda put the chain it has on it. Keep in mind they had to design the SH to compete against other bikes in magazine comparos too. Also keep in mind that a broken chain could easily kill you by wrapping around the wheel or sprokets.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:28 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Les";p=&quot
A big NO, unless you're racing and are willing to replace the chain very often. A 520 just isn't enough chain for a 100 hp motorcycle. There's a reason the engineers at Honda put the chain it has on it. Keep in mind they had to design the SH to compete against other bikes in magazine comparos too. Also keep in mind that a broken chain could easily kill you by wrapping around the wheel or sprokets.
A big I disagree, obviously if you're racing it it would wear quicker than if you were street riding. I've been doing both to mine since June and it has barely even stretched yet and I even have a slight tendency to do power wheelies. These X type chains are much stronger than the older "normal" chains and are recomended for I4 engines up to 750cc which would have more horsepower than a Hawk. The reason the engineers at honda put a 530 on it wasn't because they were scared they would kill someone, they just wanted it to last 20,000 miles or so. If this set up last 3/4 as long as the origanal I'll be happy.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:46 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
There are more powerful bikes like the ZX10 that run a smaller stock chain than the VTR but I bet they won't last long! EK's website recommends a 520 up to 100hp so I think it's a safe bet but with less life on a VTR.

I think a 525 would be a good compromise of lower weight/friction than a 530 but longer life than a 520.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:50 AM
MotoGP

From EK's website:

We strongly recommend these Quadra-X Ring chains as the ideal replacement for the original equipment chain on your 600 to 1000cc sportbike. Features like solid bushings, lightening holes in the sideplates, large-diameter pins, and friction-reducing Quadra-X Rings help ensure high-performance and durability. MVX chains are available in colors.
Recommended application: up to 1000cc/100hp for 520MVXZ; up to 1000cc/130hp for 525MVXZ; up to 1000cc/145hp for 530MVXZ
Available colors: gold, chrome, red, blue, green, yellow, purple; 530MVXZ also available in yellow
Tensile strength: 9000 lbs. for 520MVXZ; 9300 lbs. for 525MVXZ and 530MVXZ
Old 02-06-2006, 08:20 AM
SuperSport

Loco
I bet Honda uses a 530 chain so that you are free to make whatever mod's you want to your bike and not have to change the chain. If there was a 520 chain on it stock, and you did big HP upgrades, you might be encroaching upon that "factor of safety" we engineers love to use. It's overdesigned so it won't wear out prematurely.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:00 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgetting about wear rates, would we notice a difference given all other factors equal going from a 530 to a 520? Cause if its negligable, I'll stick with the 530.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Superstock

Sorry if this sounds rude, it is not meant to be. I'm just curious.
Are those of you who have or are thinking about switching to a 520 set up currently racing your bikes in the top level of your competition?
I do understand there is a coolness factor involved with having the trick set up, but, most of you don't come across as being posers.
It would seem to me that the benefits of the change (light weight less spinning mass) would not come into play unless you have already exploited all the potential you can from your machine and still need to make up another second or less per lap. Are you really getting your ankle on the ground in the corner?
I just don't see what potential benefits can be gained for the less than super human riders among us.
If there is reasonable explanation that validates using a weaker smaller chain than a 530 I'm interested in knowing about it. Maybe the chain thing is why I was so slow at the races. It certainly could not have been me (lol).

I'm not knocking anybody's choices. If there is good reason I'll convert too.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
MotoGP

I can't answer all of your rude questions all I can tell you is why I changed. I try to do a couple of trackdays every 3 months or so and the guy I ride with owns a gsxr1000. I kept up but his bike was toying with mine, rider ability was about equal. There's just no way a stock geared Superhawk can stay with a gixer 1000 on the track so I was going to sacrafice top end speed for corner speed. Before the switch as soon as he got on the throttle he was gone, well not any more. I could've kept the 530 chain and sprockets but saw this and it was MUCH cheaper and my chain and sprockets were getting worn so I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunatley, I can't answer if just the weight loss has provided a big difference because of the gearing change but I do know this he can't pass me like he did. Instead, it's a full day of back and forth battles.

Oh and I try to keep my ankles off the ground but my knee certainly likes to drag.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
I can't answer all of your rude questions all I can tell you is why I changed. I try to do a couple of trackdays every 3 months or so and the guy I ride with owns a gsxr1000. I kept up but his bike was toying with mine, rider ability was about equal. There's just no way a stock geared Superhawk can stay with a gixer 1000 on the track so I was going to sacrafice top end speed for corner speed. Before the switch as soon as he got on the throttle he was gone, well not any more. I could've kept the 530 chain and sprockets but saw this and it was MUCH cheaper and my chain and sprockets were getting worn so I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunatley, I can't answer if just the weight loss has provided a big difference because of the gearing change but I do know this he can't pass me like he did. Instead, it's a full day of back and forth battles.

Oh and I try to keep my ankles off the ground but my knee certainly likes to drag.
Dayum superhawk22 !
I want to learn to corner like that picture!
What drags 1st on the VTR? Kickstand? Did you modify your stand?
My 1st track day is this Monday. I'm kind of excited!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:17 PM
MotoGP

Take off the chin fairing it likes to scrape as far as the kick stand my spring is a little weak so it did grind down a little If you've got a stand take off the kick stand if not it shouldn't be an issue. If you've got the stock pegs take off the curb feelers those can get you very unstable. Keep your toes on the pegs or you'll grind your boots, hook your outside leg calf againts the tank/seat. Point the knee out and hang off the bike trust yourself and the bike. The reason you want to hang off is too change the center of gravity. The further off the bike you can get the bike doesn't have to lean as much and keeps a larger tire patch witch lets you go faster. Oh and welcome to the addiction it takes a week for me to stop thinking about the track after a trackday. I can't wait to get back!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Superstock

Thanks superhawk22,
With all things equal, the gearing change was probably your biggest ally in the battles with the GSXR.
Since the track here will close soon, street riding is all I will do. The lower cost would be favorable to me, so long as I can't snap the chain off. I do not expect to be doing any power wheelies, but, I do have my moments.
I should have said knee not ankle. Only with my RS250 did I ever have both knee and ankle down (there was nothing to scrape). I really miss racing it. Hmmm, don’t think the SHawk would lend itself to such acute angles. I like the pic 8) …memories rushing in now.

CNI Dawg,
Have fun at the track days…I’m so jealous!
Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM
MotoGP

I've had mine for almost 9 months now and it's still in the NEW portion of the adjuster and I've barely moved it. Just FYI. Really sucks about the track.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by BirdofParadise";p=&quot
I'm not knocking anybody's choices. If there is good reason I'll convert too.
If you're needing new chain and sprockets, possibly paying less while getting "free" hp and better MPG (depending on ratio chosen of course) is certainly something to consider.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Superstock

I often see people around my place doing things because they are following some "Trend"
i.e.
Air shifters, extended swing arms, super fat tires, and what not put on street use bikes.

I wanted to find out if there was a good beneficial reason for the switch and if it would be a safe and sound choice.

Thank you both for your replies.

Thanks, the track closing is due to bad choices made by individuals with hidden agendas and those who lacked the proper information. I guess they will not realize the harm untill the racing moves to the streets and affects them personally. Some times The "golden rule" sucks.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:54 PM
MotoGP

I HATE that look it goes on here too. You see a beautiful race replica with a 4 foot long swingarm about 3 inches off the ground scraping it's fairing as it takes a corner at 10 mph! Just makes me laugh, I could see it if they were going to the drags with 'em but I don't think soo. What sucks even worse is your stuck on lava rock so it's not like you could go to a different one.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Superstock

No drags for those folks. They just go "hang" at the local gas station parking lot.

We are supposed to be getting a "Super Ferry" soon.
When it arrives I will be going to other islands to ride.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:19 PM
MotoGP

So many miles apart but the same squids!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Superstock

Funny, when I was in the Coast Guard we called the Navy guys squids in reply to their Puddle Pirate remarks.