Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

2002 GSXR 3-piston brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Squid

tophyr is on a distinguished road
2002 GSXR 3-piston brakes

So, I read through this thread about swapping to the '02 GSXR calipers, and it appears that the original poster used the stock 296mm rotors. The '02 GSXR1000 had 320mm rotors - has anyone tried or looked at swapping the rotors as well? Someone in that thread mentioned that the gixxer rotors don't come out from the wheel like the SH rotors do. Any possible workarounds?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Squid

tophyr is on a distinguished road
Eh.. scratch that. I just poked around some more, it appears that not only do the GSXR rotors not come out from the wheel, they have a five-hole bolt pattern, not a six-hole one.

Anyone know of any 320mm brake rotors with a six-hole pattern that come out from the wheel however much the SH rotors do?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Aww, grasshopper...you see the swept area on the stock rotors is perfect when the Tokico six-piston caliper do grab them. Save your rotor money and buy non-stick cooking spray for your faceshield to make it easier to get your eyeballs back in your skull.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Squid

Babelfish is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tophyr
Eh.. scratch that. I just poked around some more, it appears that not only do the GSXR rotors not come out from the wheel, they have a five-hole bolt pattern, not a six-hole one.

Anyone know of any 320mm brake rotors with a six-hole pattern that come out from the wheel however much the SH rotors do?
I guess the Fire Blade 928 would work. Same hole pattern, same rotor type/design, but 320mm.

But then you would need to move the caliper, posibly with some spacers.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I believe the 929 has 330 mm rotors (the RC had 320 mm). Besides, there is the issue of having to move the calipers (although I have often wondered about making a radial mount kit, seems it would be a great opportunity to kill two birds with one stone). Mind you, it would likely be easier to just mount an entire 929/954 or RC front end instead.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I was looking at this thread and was confused. The gixxer "3 piston" is actually a six piston caliper. Three pistons are viewable from the outside, three from the inside of the wheel. Cool, though, that people are retrofitting these.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Yeah, that's right - sometimes they are called six pots. They are starting to get scarce on the used market so buying a set of new ones (given the chance and Coin) would be an option. Their presence is minimal but the stopping powerfully progressive - stoppy crazy - dig it in to get it stopped and you get a stoppy conclusion. Big kudos to the suspension guru because the brakes worked great with Greg's setup. I just ran out of road between me and his Trooper. He'll never forget that moment. Maybe I won't either - everytime I get on the bike I keep seeing morons from the right.