Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Anybody with GSXR 6 piston calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:20 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Anybody with GSXR 6 piston calipers

I'm doing the front brake mods slowly, I've done the GSXR calipers and M/C. My next step was lines, I ordered Speigler SS lines from Kneedraggers. They were two different sizes as I expected, but the shorter one wont fit either side. It's way to short for the left and about an inch to short for the right no matter how I try and route it.

I tried putting the stock M/C back on, didn't solve anything. My next step is to try stock the calipers. But first I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Maybe I just got hosed and they sent me an incorrect line.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:23 PM
swinging member
Back Marker

lrrs195 is on a distinguished road
My GSXR calipers+mc bolted right up with the ss lines I already had on the hawk(don`t remember the brand) I`d call them, they probably sent you one wrong line.

Mike
Old 07-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I had Spieglers on mine with the stock brakes, then went to GSXR calipers and master with no problem. I agree they may have sent the wrong ones, do you still have the package to check the part number? If you want I can dig up my receipt to see what # I got.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:13 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
If you don't have one, get a longer banjo bolt for a two line connection. Then only run the longer line from the master cylinder to new longer bolt at right caliper with the shorter line from there to the left caliper looping over the fender. Make sense?

I use this setup on my RCBVFR. Can you see what I'm talking about?

Name:  baffinbaycurve.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  185.7 KB
Old 07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superbling
If you don't have one, get a longer banjo bolt for a two line connection. Then only run the longer line from the master cylinder to new longer bolt at right caliper with the shorter line from there to the left caliper looping over the fender. Make sense?

I use this setup on my RCBVFR. Can you see what I'm talking about?
I never even thought about that, maybe that's what I was doing wrong. It should work for sure that way. The lines came with the dual banjo bolt, I was assuming that was for the M/C. Perhaps it was intended for the right caliper. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Back Marker

Maybe they changed the design, but mine are double right from the M/C to each caliper. I noticed when I got the GSXR calipers that the lines where run the same way Superblings VFR is. It doesn't seem to matter as long as they fit and don't interefere with anything.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

Just to clarify, those lines in the pic are gixxer lines. I got the whole set (calipers, m/c, and ss lines) for $80 on ebay (yeah baby!).

Maybe the vendor got confused and sent you gixxer lines instead of superhawk(?).
Old 07-06-2008, 07:27 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
mine worked fine, i have dual lines from mc to each caliper.

you don't want the old one line to a caliper and then a slave line over to the other caliper. That just defeats the whole reason for doing a brake upgrade.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Thumper
mine worked fine, i have dual lines from mc to each caliper.

you don't want the old one line to a caliper and then a slave line over to the other caliper. That just defeats the whole reason for doing a brake upgrade.
You might want to tell Suzuki they are doing it wrong as that is the stock setup.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:52 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superbling
You might want to tell Suzuki they are doing it wrong as that is the stock setup.
Just because it is stock from Suzi doen't mean it is the best performance. Just like they don't provide SS lines from the factory either, so i guess the rubber lines are better on the Suzi than SS lines.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
MotoGP

I've had these routed both ways and there's no difference I can feel on the street. YMMV
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Back Marker

When you ordered them what bike did you order for? Or if you ordered by phone did you mention they were going to go on gsxr calipers and that's what they sent? I agree that they should be fine set up either way, just make sure they are secured. I'm not sure if the gsxr has a bracket on the fender (or if it even needs one) to hold it in position or not.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:47 AM
SuperBike

They were superhawk lines, I ordered them online so no mention of a GSXR was ever made. I checked the package and it's got the right part#. But because the individual lines don't have numbers there is no way to research further. I think for now I'll try the slave line set up, better than letting the lines just sit and collect dust.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Drew, when Erik got back from Iraq I had ss lines, gixxer six-pots, and an RC51 MC waiting for him. He tried everything to get the new lines to work but they did not. I should have ordered him lines for the RC51 MC. The other thing is when I installed my six-pots to the stock MC on my bike the first thing that I did was abandon the stock routing. It took a little work - on and off, try again but I eventually got them to fit just fine. I expect that I will have problems if I install the 954 master that I got from Bobby. I think I will measure the lines, including the stock routing loops and buy by length rather than bike model.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Drew, when Erik got back from Iraq I had ss lines, gixxer six-pots, and an RC51 MC waiting for him. He tried everything to get the new lines to work but they did not. I should have ordered him lines for the RC51 MC. The other thing is when I installed my six-pots to the stock MC on my bike the first thing that I did was abandon the stock routing. It took a little work - on and off, try again but I eventually got them to fit just fine. I expect that I will have problems if I install the 954 master that I got from Bobby. I think I will measure the lines, including the stock routing loops and buy by length rather than bike model.
The biggest issue I had with those new lines you got me, was the angle of the banjo fittings and the stopper on the MC. It was in a much different place then the SH MC..and the bend just would not work with the RC51 MC.. I ended up reusing my SS Galfer lines for the SH MC and calipers.
Looking to change out the MC on mine and see if I can firm up the feel some
Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I already had the brake lines so instead of buying new ones I just cut the stopper off, problem solved. The lines route right where the stopper was before and now no problem with the length.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Squid

Thumper996 is on a distinguished road
i am curious, what year and make did you guys get the calipers and M/C from. are they a direct bolt on? thanks guys
Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Thumper996
i am curious, what year and make did you guys get the calipers and M/C from. are they a direct bolt on? thanks guys

01/02 I think, others can chime in.

Research the forum, there are a tons of entries on the Gixxer 6 pots on the SH and the info includes the correct years.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes 01-02 gsxr1000 calipers are direct fit, I will have some for sale soon as well if anyone is interested.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
pm sent to superhawk22
Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
The biggest issue I had with those new lines you got me, was the angle of the banjo fittings and the stopper on the MC. It was in a much different place then the SH MC. Looking to change out the MC on mine and see if I can firm up the feel some
Let me understand - you think the RC51 MC is squishy with the six-pots? Nemish and I have been talking about the zero-adjustability of larger MC's with the six-pots and a much better braking action with the stock MC. His comments were all or nothing. No touch to the lever.

After my pads wore in a little I'm not sure I need more bite. Like I wrote on another post, I was tooling up through the county the other day and thought I saw a skunk hiding behind a hill. I over reacted with the fronts and almost did a stoppie at a hundred.

I have a nearly new 954 MC on the shelf but I'm not sure that I'll install it. I hate it that the levers don't match but it helps me tell them apart. The clutch is the black one on the left. The brake is the polished one on the right. Sounds like politics doesn't it!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Let me understand - you think the RC51 MC is squishy with the six-pots?

Ya a bit.. the brakes are strong,, but the lever is soft. And ya, I'm pretty darn sure there is no air in the system. Though may try and bleed some fluid just to see what happens.

No riding off road or track this weekend.. hand and thumb are screwed.

Need to hook up and trade bikes,,, compare notes and such.. We keep threatening to do so, but always manage to forget.

I need to research the piston sizes of both OEM and RC51 MC,,
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM
MotoGP

101 on Sunday so let's go early. I don't know what time the ***** opens for breakfast but we can meet there. I'm good anytime after daybreak. Yeah we should switch. I want to feel what you're talking about with the 51MC - that's really the feel that I'm looking for - I think. The brakes on my Superhawk are very aggressive. I think I got you the same pads, right? It takes a while for them to rub in but when they do look out. The only difference between our bikes is the 51MC on yours and the prolite rotors on mine. This should all be pretty equal at the end of the day. LMK
Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

101 on Sunday so let's go early. I don't know what time the ***** opens for breakfast but we can meet there. I'm good anytime after daybreak. Yeah we should switch. I want to feel what you're talking about with the 51MC - that's really the feel that I'm looking for - I think. The brakes on my Superhawk are very aggressive. I think I got you the same pads, right? It takes a while for them to rub in but when they do look out. The only difference between our bikes is the 51MC on yours and the prolite rotors on mine. This should all be pretty equal at the end of the day. LMK
I'll PM ya or call on the ride....May see ya's tonight.. need to see if I can ride anything two wheeled at this point

Yes same pads as yours, and they are bedded in for sure... lots of miles at this point.

I'll bleed um today..