Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

War Eagle lower install tips and pics (INCULDING BRACKETS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Squid

supertrooper is on a distinguished road
War Eagle lower install tips and pics (INCULDING BRACKETS)

i finally got around to painting and installing the lower and ran the bike to see if it burns anywhere like others claim. guess what, it did at the Y pipe near the right slip-on joint. it started to lift the paint on the out side, good thing i went flat black and not color matched.

so i didnt use the brackets at first like most seem to do. after awhile looking at the bike and the shop manual, i found the correct bolt. its the one that goes thru the kickstandand exits under the right side case cover. first you remove the bolt, 14mm on the bolt head and 17mm on the nut. you will need to enlarge the holes it the war eagle brackets with a 13/32" drill bit and notch the left bracket as shown below. put the left bracket on the bolt and slide it back in. now put the right bracket on then the nut. now you can start installing the allen bolts loosly. tighten the long bolt then the allen bolts.
right -
left -
now there is 3/4" - 1" clearance under the entire exhaust and after another test nothing burns and no heat tape or header wrap. dont forget to install the upper forward allen bolts thru the stock fairing so it doesnt flap around. it was easyer to take the stock upper fairing to mark and drill the holes.

NOTE: the top of the left bracket might need the bend flatened out a little.

good luck guys, i hope this helps
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
thank you for that. I will put them on when I get home.