Tapeworks

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:56 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Tapeworks

I'm looking at the number plates and big wings on tapeworks. Just wondering if anyone had any strong opinions on these as far as application and durability. I thought I had seen a couple bikes on here with the kit.

Kendrick
Old 09-16-2006, 11:42 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I have used one of their kits, the one for a '96 GSXR750, on a '97 GSXR600 racebike I spent two years restoring and making street legal again. I did all the bodywork, and there was alot of it, myself, but I did let a professional install the graphics. There are alot of graphics in that kit, and there are sections on the fairings where there are some complex curves, and I think he even cut them a little to follow the curves best. He was really good at it and had been doing it many years, and he still broke his *** and spent like three hours doing it. That was the reason I decided not to do it myself. In the end it was worth it and they really did look killer. I justdidn't want to pay for the kit and mess it up "learning" on it. After the insane amount of time and work I put into that bike I was about ready to be done with it anyway. As far as durability goes the best way to go is to clearcoat everything, but keep it mind that you can't replace individual graphics anymore at that point. The graphics are really nice quality. I sold the bike shortly after that though, so I can't speak for how well they stand up to washing/waxing, sunlight, etc. but I would imagine w/o clearcoat you'd have to be careful not to lift the edges when cleaning.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:53 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
thanks, point taken. I may go ahead and buy the kit and let a professional apply and clear coat it
Old 09-16-2006, 03:54 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah if you're patient and decent with your hands I'm sure you could do a pretty ok job doing them yourself. I think they even give you some extra graphics to practice with. Clearcoat is obviously a luxury but certainly not required, and it's also going to cost you a fair bit more to have that done. If you don't you just have to wash and wipe AWAY from sharp edges rather than towards because over time they may lift a little if you're hard on them. But the finished product was really killer-they make nice stuff. That bike took me two years to build and one day to sell.