Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Streatch my Hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
Streatch my Hawk?

i am looking to lower and streatch my 1998 Hawk. does anyone know where i could find the parts to do so? i know where to get lower links and stuff but the swing arm is another story.... i know what you are all thinking, why streatch a Hawk? well i liek the look and stability of the streatched bike and lowering it will make it that much better. i am not into turns and track riding, i am looking for comfort.....
Any help is appriciated.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Here's a thread that will tell you probably more than you want to know about changing the geometry of your bike.

Rake and Trail - SuperHawk Forum
Old 05-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RWhisen
Here's a thread that will tell you probably more than you want to know about changing the geometry of your bike.

Rake and Trail - SuperHawk Forum
Old 05-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Back Marker

superhen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 3amta3
i am looking for comfort.....
So...why not risers, bar, Sargent, pegs. I don't get how changing the bikes geometry will get you comfort??
Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If you drag race, then it has a purpose.. And the Superhawk is underpowered for that.

Otherwise it make the bike worse in every way and takes away the one thing that our old beast is good at. (Superhawks are slower than modern bikes, less comfortable than bigger bikes, not as pretty as show bikes, but they can do most things ok, and twisties well)

But it is your bike and you can do whatever you want to it.

Several people have extended the swing arm on their bike, just find someone who is good at welding aluminum and get it done.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Superstock

as fare as risers and peg ect. comfort for me is knowing i can get on it and not pull the front wheel every time i do it i love the way the bike handles. i have had a streached out BUSA and i loved it, i dont figure the Hawk will be any different. the lower and longer it is the better it will handle during acceleration, i know i will loose cornering performance but i am not about that. it is fun once and a while but not all the time.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 PM
MotoGP

I just don't get what is so hard about controlling your right wrist.. If I am really giving it beans I can pull a power wheelie into 3rd (1st & 2nd goes without saying) but I have never come close to looping it.. Just back off the throttle slightly or put your weight further forward and no issue.

If you are so hamfisted you have to lengthen the bike to keep from looping it, consider something safer like this. Or don't drink & ride whatever the issue is.

(all in good fun fyi)
Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Superstock

HAHA,,,, i can control my right wrist just fine. i actually like pulling the wheel once and a while.... i think it is more the look for me, but no matter what anyone says it is more stable stretched out and lower... i am not talking about 10inch stretch, all i want is about 6inch and 2inch drop
Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
The easiest way like stated above is to hire a skilled metal fabricator to stretch the stock swing arm. As there is no aftermarket stretched swing arm for the hawk that I know of. My suggestion get one from ebay have it stretched. Then save the one on the bike for when you eventually may sell the bike. Anyone know where to find someone who welds aluminum ?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
im pretty damn good at aluminum if i dont say so myself. can even get the stacked dime look when welding two coke cans together. then again thats what 2 years of school and then being a fabricator in a sign shop that deals mostly with aluminum will do
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
There ya go, got someone on both coasts ready to work some aluminum...
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
Take before and after pictures, then pictures from after you under steer into a ditch and post them.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Superstock

its all about the angle of lean. who stears a rocket? i know about geometry, i am not a shade tree mechanic.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, you're not going to get much love around here. Most of us are the sport-riding kind of guys and we go the other way trying to improve suspension, braking, handling, etc. In the past two years I've been around here I've not seen anyone doing a stretch. I suspect there's probably a reason for that since the bike is slow relative to others like a busa. If you do go down the path, try to endure the chastizing and post your pics and experiences.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
SuperBike

its all about the angle of lean. who stears a rocket? i know about geometry, i am not a shade tree mechanic.
Make sure you post pics......
Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
also you need to dress like the "streatched" croud. Get yourself a good pair of flip flops and shorts and lose the shirt and you will fit right in with those goons.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Lukenukem stretched one of his I think- maybe he just lowered it, I can't quite remember.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
MotoGP

I know of two members who have/had extended swingarms. One was in Hawaii, the other I think was in New Orleans.

One of them (Hawaii guy) sold his bike and left the forum, I don't know about the other guy.

Here is another: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ght-vtr-16299/

Last edited by lazn; 05-10-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Superstock

dont get me wrong i love to go fast'ish and corner. but i like style and stability. i am nothing like the idiots you speak of. i have had a stretched and lowered Busa, i love it and got rid of it like a idiot. i understand some people are stuck in their ways and dont want to change. i just dont understand why a bunch of people that bought a slow bike are so interested in doing the sport bike thing and ******* people that want to make good use of it. if i wanted to go fast and do twisties i would have gotten a r1,gsxr1000 or something of that nature.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Superstock

not a matter of if but when i do stretch it i will post pics, so some of the guys on here can eat their words
Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
not a matter of if but when i do stretch it i will post pics, so some of the guys on here can eat their words

see if you can answer this........when are panties like banannas?........when they are in a bunch,dude chill.
this is one of if not most knowledgeable hawk sites around.
these guys speak mostly from experience,myself included.if you want to see some nice hawks look around.
mikstr comes to mind,then there is my "modding madness".
greg nemish has a sweet hawk also.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
you know?....come to think of it.
throw a rc51sp2 swingarm on it,theres your stretch.
roughly 3 inches i beleive.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

whozit is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum! I've been on several motorcycle forums and this one has some fantastic and very knowledgeable people that are more than willing to share years of experience with you, however, most of the members will not sacrifice performance for looks. Understand that some people may not be aware of the negative effects of the modifications they want to perform so everyone is just trying to help and inform. Use the "SEARCH" and you'll find some great information and probably a couple of talented fabricators and builders.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Superstock

i am not knocking anyone i am just trying to strike up conversation and get some ideas form others. i love this forum, very useful and insightful. i like to do different things with my rides to make them my own and different. just liek you guys i have my own opinions of what works. keep it real on here, dont talk crap to me if i cant talk it back. it is all in good fun, no harm no fowl.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
SuperBike

i just dont understand why a bunch of people that bought a slow bike are so interested in doing the sport bike thing and ******* people that want to make good use of it. if i wanted to go fast and do twisties i would have gotten a r1,gsxr1000 or something of that nature.

Some of us own some really fast bikes for twisties (Ducati 1198S for me) and other bikes as well. What I fail to understand is why you buy a "slow bike" and think it's a rocket? Stretching a 'Busa makes an already poor handling machine dangerous. Stretching a SH makes a good handling machine (with suspension upgrades) marginal. The SH isn't as slow as you think in the twisties, I have surprised many, many R1 and gixxer squids with it.

To each his own and good luck. Keep us updated.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Superstock

thats just it, i dont care about handling so much as to suit my riding style. you are rigth about the handling on the Busa, it did SUCK!!! but the way i drove it, i tworked for me. it did have a huge under steer problem in the turns but with lean and speed you could over come most of it but it loved to push through a sweeping turn..... i love my hawk, it is the first for me of its kind. i dont want ot put more than 3-4 inch stretch on it and drop it about 2 inch. if done right the bike will handle just the same, look kool and fit my style.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 PM
SuperBike

i dont want ot put more than 3-4 inch stretch on it and drop it about 2 inch. if done right the bike will handle just the same, look kool and fit my style.
With precious little ground clearance already, dropping it that much will make for some really flashy turns, as in sparks. By stretching and lowering it, you are mistaken about it handling the same. It is going to be a pig but if you're used to riding a 'Busa it will probably be the same as that, crap.

Last edited by RWhisen; 05-10-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Superstock

i am not sure about yours but mine has about 4-5 inch of ground clearance.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
SuperBike

i am not sure about yours but mine has about 4-5 inch of ground clearance.
It ought to have more than that but any static clearance disappears when you really get it leaned over. Pegs and pipes dragging become a REAL problem. If you look at some photos on this board you'll see some folks have ground their headers in a lean.

Last edited by RWhisen; 05-10-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
TYPICAL Squid, 3amta3.. You asked for help and opinions, and - You were warned(Old Yeller). But your arguement is pointless.. You recieved the jury opinion
You would get more support if you were lowering a H.D.(tractor) Besides stretching a motorcycle is a waste on any bike driven in a straight line over a 1/4 mile..

Quick Reply: Streatch my Hawk?