General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Newbie...just bought a VTR!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Back Marker

chevy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Newbie...just bought a VTR!!

Wassup Fellows, been lurking on the site for awhile, bought now i have fially purchased a 99 VTR with only 17,000 miles and it's already stretched.

Just wanted to get you guys blessing or should i say, to confirm my thinking of myself getting a good deal. Here's the story...........A friend of my brothers they ride and he just purhases and 08 honda 1400.........i wasn't in the market but he made me and offer, that would make it possible for me to be able to ride with my brother and the crew, i am 28 years of age here in the south.........my brother has a suzuki sv1000, anyway he wanted 3,000 for the bike but for me, he said if i came up with 1800 he would sell to me, i pondered because i wasn;t in the market, but i was like damn, what a deal and to be able to ride with my brother.

Had the bike now for about 2 weeks, and have gotten pretty good at riding, have insurance, learners permit, and helmet..........talked to a mechanic he said he new the bike and have worked on it before stated it was a good bike!

My question is what do you guys think and what are some things i should look for in my inspection, my bro rode bike home, he also inspected before i purchased, and he already knew the owner and his riding style, a 40 year old my bro is 36.

i will post pics as soon as i find out how
Attached Thumbnails Newbie...just bought a VTR!!-img_0556.jpg   Newbie...just bought a VTR!!-img_0563.jpg  

Last edited by chevy; 09-27-2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: mistake on bike
Old 09-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hello, how are you? welcome to Honda Superhawk forum.
Did you do 1st oil change for your new ride? What kind of engine oil do you used?
Ride safe, Later
James
Old 09-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Hey, welcome! You got quite a deal... it would only have been a better deal if it was black(the faster color)

Streched bikes arn't my thing, but I can appreciate them. This is the first SH that ive seen streched... it looks cool!!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
what a steal not soo nice with that lower fairing on... you should send it to me Ill get rid of it for you......
Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Squid

Woodytick is on a distinguished road
well man, that is the first stretched hawk i have seen. looks good but not real big on stretched bikes. they are good for only one thing, straight line, once you stretch them they wont turn the same. congrats though on the bike, ride safe.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
stretched swing arm looks cool. welcome...
Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
So thats what a stretched hawk looks like.............. I like it!!!!!!!! Welcome.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I notice the chain has a tensioner. That's a good thing for as long as it is.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:58 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Nice bike. Get rid of the stretched swingarm and you'll have a better bike.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Squid

fishface is on a distinguished road
how stretched is that arm ???
Old 09-28-2008, 05:19 AM
swinging member
Back Marker

lrrs195 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got an very good deal on the bike. Please use some of the money you saved and buy another swingarm.Trust me,the superhawk will be a much better bike with the stock wheelbase.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Nice bike. Get rid of the stretched swingarm and you'll have a better bike.
+1
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Back Marker

thanks fellows for the input... I guess I did get a good deal.... I will be getting first oil change this week..... Shop uses amisol synthetic they offer mobil 1 for those who ask..... Which is better for the hawk?

I see there is a difference of opioin on the swing arm it's okay for me I like it! Don't have the desire to do a wheelie....

Don't know the length but as I have looking through pics I have not seen one stretched either..... Might be the first!! Yes.. That would be cool

Answer this what about the miles good or bad? Would be about an average of 1,700 miles a year 99-09 give or take.

Thinking about getting lower fairing same color as bike.. Then go to Matrix and getting custom vtr 1000 or superhawk vinly overlays make it stand against newer bikes.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:33 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Chevy;

I think your bike looks good. $1800 is a steal. If somebody knocked on my door right now and offered me that bike for $1800, I'd buy it.

Most guys on the forum are into hard cornering in the twisties where the long swingarm would be a drawback, but if you bought the bike to ride in town and down the highway with your brother and friends, it will work fine.

And when you get used to it, that long bike will come off the line harder and get up to 60-70 mph faster than most anything, including shorter bikes with a lot more power.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:48 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Nice bike, crazy swingarm and all. Not my style but still very cool.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the insanity.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
welcome Chevy, cool bike...
Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Back Marker

Tonyizcool1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome Chevy to the movement of the Superhawk.......... You'll love it.

Did I mention great color

Good buy man.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Back Marker

Thanks Guys!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. I'm not a fan of the extended swingarm look except on busa's, but it looks cool. have fun with your new bike.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:09 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
That's a really cool looking bike. The stretched swingarm may have its advantages if your driving roads with wide open curves. Many roads can be found out West that fit that description. The Superhawk has the kind of power curve that fits this style of riding very well.

Anyway,
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Welcome! Look through the forum in the "Technical Discussion" section. It has a lot of good info. I would go with the Amsoil over the Mobile 1.

You will probably have a voltage regulator/resistor failure. Almost everyone has. The battery will usually go dead on you. It's an easy fix with an '01 R1 regulator. Do a search and you can find the best way to do the conversion.

By 25k I would have the cam chain tensioners replaced with after-markets to avoid lunching your engine. Again, it's been covered before so just do a search.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

yeah i think i am going to go with the amsoil
Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chevy
Answer this what about the miles good or bad? Would be about an average of 1,700 miles a year 99-09 give or take.
The previous rider obviously didn't ride much.
I put around 10k a year on mine.

BTW - Like the bike...and I know you don't want that lower fairing
Old 10-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
dont need synthetic oil, at 3000 miles it is just as dirty as regular motor oil and needs 2 b changed just as often so its a waste of money
Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Welcome! - and agree that you got a good deal; get a stock swing arm because (A) the long arm will destroy the SH's great street bike handling and (B) it will be much easier to maintain. I also do not like the look of streached bikes (drag bikes aside) just MO.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Back Marker

how do you take a swing arm off, welding? or just ordering a new, well it's still the same, welding i guess....correct
Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Chevy;

I think your bike looks good. $1800 is a steal. If somebody knocked on my door right now and offered me that bike for $1800, I'd buy it.

Most guys on the forum are into hard cornering in the twisties where the long swingarm would be a drawback, but if you bought the bike to ride in town and down the highway with your brother and friends, it will work fine.

And when you get used to it, that long bike will come off the line harder and get up to 60-70 mph faster than most anything, including shorter bikes with a lot more power.
There you have it! From one of the best. I like the look of your bike too. The stretch also helps if you're a heavier rider. I'm 165. Also, if I rode with a bunch of cruisers the stretch would be no problem fitting in.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation course is great for new or returning riders. Check for availability in your area. Definety the best money spent to get you up to speed.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by COLE
dont need synthetic oil, at 3000 miles it is just as dirty as regular motor oil and needs 2 b changed just as often so its a waste of money
not tru, synthetics dont break down as much in extreme use, motorcycle engines with wet clutches are extreme use. dyno juice should prolly get changed at 1500 miles. i run 4000 to 6000 miles on mobile 1 synth but i have an oversized pure one filter, its bigger around and longer then the normal filter.

nice hawk, i like the belly pan, and you did get quite a deal on it. not fond of the long arm but they do have there uses. have fun with it.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by chevy
how do you take a swing arm off, welding? or just ordering a new, well it's still the same, welding i guess....correct
If you take a look at an EXTENDED SWINGARM listed for sale by Mr. Inderocker in the classifieds section you will see that it is a simple bolt-on process. Swingarm parts are easy to find on ebay and often for very reasonable costs. Just be aware that if you decide to go back to stock length you will also need a new chain or have your current chain cut to fit. Also, wheelies will be all too easy

Quick Reply: Newbie...just bought a VTR!!