Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

R1 mirrors

Old 06-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Squid

uberhawk
R1 mirrors

2000 and above R1 mirrors fit almost perfectly, and the stems are just a little longer than stock, making it easier to see past your elbows.

One place where some people have ordered...

MR Cycle for $49.95/each, $108 delivered.
800-359-0567
Old 07-23-2004, 03:20 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
cool!!

I have the mirror extenders on, from rrmotorsport.com, they make the stock ones taller and more useful.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Squid

uberhawk
Originally Posted by ChickenLover";p=&quot
Fit 'almost perfectly'? How much work is involved in getting them to work?
No work is required at all, the actual mechanical fit is perfect. If you're SUPER ****, the rubber boot on the R1 mirrors doesn't follow the exact same countour of the little bump on the fairing of the VTR. I'm reasonably ****, and I can live with it...if you didn't know the mirrors weren't stock you probably wouldn't notice.

That's all.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Squid

uberhawk
Originally Posted by sburggsx";p=&quot
Wonder how much a set of those mirrors run.
$108 delivered from M&R, see first post ;-)
Old 07-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: R1 mirrors

I have a set also, I've owned by SuperHawk for 2 months, first thing I changed. I enjoy the view of things other than my elbows; the mirror surface is a little larger and they're out further. I got them on Ebay for about $55 shipped, but had to watch a while to get them that cheap.
The bolts fit perfectly. But, they must "sit" at a different angle on an R1, because the 'boots' don't fit exactly flush, and I had to install 'stops' so they wouldn't fold into the fairing at speeds over ~70mph; drilled little holes and put brass pins in them.
I read recently someone mounted the "arms" onto the existing mounts and they fit better, but I'm too lazy to care. They look OK to me right out of the box. 8)
Old 03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

As I noted in another thread, I looked further into the issue of acceptable replacement mirrors, and, by using a tape measure, I found that the longer, condom-free, '05 Kawasaki ZX-10R mirrors match the bolt pattern of the VTR and should mount directly, without one having to do anything to the base.

It seems that there are two common mounting bolt patterns for sport bike mirrors: 1-1/2 " center-to-center (as on the VTR) and 1-3/4 " center-to-center (as on most other Honda sport bikes). The ZX-10R has the same 1-1/2 " center-to-center pattern that the VTR has, and the longer, more useful, ZX10-R mirrors should mount easily onto the VTR, with no mods whatsoever. They even have the same style of cap nuts as those on VTR mirrors.

I'll post a follow-up message after I mount the ZX-10R mirrors and will also post a pic, if they indeed work as I hope they will.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

I'm going to give a thumbs down to R1 mirrors. I was lucky enough to get a lightly damage pair very cheap. Like others, I found the stock locking position wasn't EVEN close to correct. I fixed it by using the superhawk mounts and the R1 stalks/mirrors. I'm still getting too much elbow like this, they need to be just a tad bit wider to really work well. I'm pursuing other options now.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:31 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be interested to see if the Kawi mirrors will work. While the mounting posts may match, the orientation to the fairing & adjustment range may also be issues. There's also the question of whether the stalks are long enough to be an improvement.
I have R1 mirrors & while they bolt up nicely on the 'Hawk, they have to be pushed as far forward as possible in their pivots to give a good view. Also, the pivot on my EMGO R1 mirrors is kind of weak, so they don't hold their position well.
Still, the view is a lot better than the stockers.
Please post back if anyone finds the Kawi mirrors to work.