Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Painting and modifying a Red SH

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Painting and modifying a Red SH

I am planning to touch up some scuffed spots (1 large and 1 small) along with a small crack in the fairing over the winter. I am also modifying the front lights to LED markers and possibly marker mirrors at the same time.

I found a possible match at Color Rite but just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of this. I am in the learning process of motorcycles, I used to do new motorcycle prep but never the other stuff. I have tools, I just figured that I would start using them to modify my SH and Magna.

I found the link to the paint here: http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colo...TOKEN=18198494
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Correct R157 is the colour match - check under your seat as the colour code for your bike is on a sticker there.

Depending on the age of your bike and if it's been exposed to the sun (UV) you'll more than likely still find a slight mismatch between the new and the old.

Preparation to the plastic is the key (scuse pun!), plus scruplious cleaning and priming, the application of the blended red coat is the easy bit - then the fun starts again blending in the glossy lacquer. If you touching up near decals then you've got the fun of masking otherwise you'll need to remove the old 'uns and get new decals.

I managed to get away with retaining the decals after this bust-up.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Superstock

I am thinking about taking off the graphics and then eventually putting on custom carbon fiber style graphics. The blend looks nice there, and with the custom graphics it would not be noticeable. I am also taking off the OEM lights and putting some flush mount LED's or moving the blinkers to the mirrors.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Superhawk Nut
Squid

tnperrys is on a distinguished road
nice repair job......padon the dumb ? but why the little holes near the cracks? is that to keep them fom continuing?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Thanks - Correct, forget where I picked up the tip to drill holes at the end of a crack, fractionally ahead of where it appears on the surface. In fact the 'original' cracks were from a similar knock a couple of years ago, but after reinforcing it from behind with fibre-glass I'd left it and had not got round to finishing it, cos I thought somebody's bound to bounce into me. And that's what happened during the summer - So the insurance paid for the cost of a new panel etc. except I fixed it all up in a weekend at minimal cost.

Originally Posted by tnperrys
nice repair job......padon the dumb ? but why the little holes near the cracks? is that to keep them fom continuing?

Last edited by Wicky; 11-11-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:36 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
It's called "stop drilling". Very common technique when working with thin metals, I've seen it used on plastics and even glass before. Think of the way a crack works, it's tearing the plastic apart because of jagged edges and continued force. If you give it a nice clean edge and a little bit of room to flex at the end of the crack then it will stop right there.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Superstock

I guess I am going to have to learn how to repair fiberglass too, I have a small crack in mine. I will have the winter to repair it when I decide to stop riding. Mostly mine is a rash where the PO (who may be on this list) went to the track and failed to stop in time, meeting the instructor in front of him.

I am trying to get some pictures up soon, and I am enjoying the feel of this bike. I came from owning Nighthawks (700's & 750's) and also a Magna 750. I am a big guy and need the extra power while trying to take care of my gut. Gives me something to work toward.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Color rite has the color you want but the red also requires a base coat. If you have a paint/body shop in your area they should be able to get the color code for you (some machine that analyzes the paint) and you can take that to Napa and they can get it mixed and put into aerosol cans at about half the price as color rite.
I just bought two cans of black from color rite and need about two more, so I'm actually going to be doing this myself on Friday. Anybody else out there with a black hawk that needs paint code, let me know and I'll make it available

Last edited by poppazuti; 11-11-2009 at 01:40 PM.