Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Painting the Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Squid

johnclopp85 is on a distinguished road
Painting the Hawk

Hi,
I was thinking about pulling off all my plastics and painting them. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas where to get paint. Also, I never painted a bike before so I was wondering I have some scratches I want to fill in. What kind of compound would I use to fill them? I have experience painting cars just not bikes. Any input on painting plastics would be great. THANKS A TON GUYS.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
there is a diff kinda bondo for plastic, it has fiberglass mixed in it, hard 2 work with, not ne thing like bonda, i recommend finding a friend that has experience, if u want factory paint code i can get it from work tom, and u can take it to paint supply store, gotta b one in ur town, if diff color j/ go 2 paint supply place, they can help u out, a body shop should do it solid color for 4 to 5 hundred, go 2 local honda shop, parts guys can prob give info on where 2 go, dont ask salesman haha
Old 05-19-2009, 05:46 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
I go to a local auto paint supplier thats been in buisness here for something like 60 years or so.
I didnt know squat when I did my 1st, and was all scared about stuff falling into the clear coat because I didnt have a good paint booth to use.
I learned some pretty awesome stuff from this hispanic guy who used to hang out at our shop. Accellerated my understanding and skill rather quickly, now I could paint a twinkie and make it look tasty.
Pics of mine will be up today finally.
I was looking in their paint book for my color, and even had the stock front fender and the honda paint color code with me.
In the paint chip book, I saw this irridescent looking red with a fine metal flake or even pearl content, and couldnt stop looking at it. Im a real firm beleiver in painting something its original color. But here I was going to break my standard and get funky with some designer color.
It was actually a stock honda minivan( honda "oddity" ) color, fire pepper red.
I am going to paint a VW karman ghia this color soon.
Its a two part paint, meaning you paint the parts the red color,then it gets a clear coat to complete the mix. Before the clear is applied, the dry color coat looks like dog ****. It looks great wet, but as the red dries it begins to resemble dried blood.
But put a little spit on the surface, and it shines and you see the pearl flakes.
It was the clear that was scaring me since Its obviously the outer surface and we want it to look new and shiny.
Man I had had all kinds of crap fall into the clear after spraying it , lol.
I let it dry and went back and did what the mexican guy told me.
next, picked the couple of bugs out that had landed on it, and started sanding the tank.
1500 grit dry sand to lightly to buzz off the high spots and to expose any valleys or pits.
2000 grit wet sand to smooth everything up.
Repeat. Another coat of Omni clear., dry. sand. Repeat.
After about 3 or 4 coats like this, I started to take all the worn out 2000 grit paper and go one more time over the clear in a final smoothing step.
Then a couple grades of polish from coarse to fine.
It got easier and easier toward the end, I had thought it to be the opposite.
So the moral of my superhawk paint adventure is-
It would take a complete moron to screw up a clear coat!

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 05-19-2009 at 05:49 AM.