Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

New Paint/Fairing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Squid

Brother J is on a distinguished road
New Paint/Fairing Repair

The weather warmed up enough to paint my 98 Superhawk. The PO had the bike knocked over in a parking lot and the fairing was cracked/scratched in several places. The tank was also dented in a few places from previous incidents. I repainted, using Honda (car) "Milano Red" which is a tad bit darker/richer than the OEM color. Need to wet sand & polish out a few gnats that decided to do a Kamikaze attack on the wet clear coat. While I had the bike apart, I also did the following:
--Manual CCT's
--SS braided brake/clutch lines
--Super bike bars and risers
--LED taillight
--Buell footpegs
--Headlight modulator
--"Magnum Blaster" horns

Pic's:

Before:
Name:  IMG_0443.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  116.4 KB

After:
Name:  IMG_0518.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0519.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  108.9 KB
Old 01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Nice job. Not sure but I think I like the gold bar ends.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Silver or Black bar ends are better, especially if he is not going to paint the lower. But it is only an opinion and it is his ride.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
nice bike!! is that the lower fairing from reckless desighns on ebay??? im just hoping to get some info on them so figured id ask.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by cameron
nice bike!! is that the lower fairing from reckless desighns on ebay??? im just hoping to get some info on them so figured id ask.
Dunno where the PO obtained the lower. It's made by Sharkskinz. Good quality piece.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
again i really like you bike paint looks good. i got my bike in pretty much the same condition as far as fairings go. you did a great job with yours i cant tell where any of the damage was.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Squid

cosean is on a distinguished road
I've been in the same boat myself. I picked it up in October with cracked, scratched plastics. fiberglassed the back of the cracks, filled and sanded. They're primed and ready for paint. You painted them yourself? What did you use and did you find any issues/problems that you ran into before I start painting? I have a buddy in the business so he took my seat cowl, had it "photographed" as he calls it and they came up with a paint to match (also red). Any reason you didn't paint the lower? I'm looking at the sharkskin myself.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by cosean
I've been in the same boat myself. I picked it up in October with cracked, scratched plastics. fiberglassed the back of the cracks, filled and sanded. They're primed and ready for paint. You painted them yourself? What did you use and did you find any issues/problems that you ran into before I start painting? I have a buddy in the business so he took my seat cowl, had it "photographed" as he calls it and they came up with a paint to match (also red). Any reason you didn't paint the lower? I'm looking at the sharkskin myself.
Its all in the prep work -- the most tedious and time consuming aspect of a paint job. The actual painting is what I live for. Its such a joy to see the paint flow out and the glassy smooth finish set up. The real trick is to get the clear coat on thick enough but not too thick that it runs. I'm still having problems with runs with the clear coat. My painting experience is rather limited. I've laid down stripes on my car and my brother's car, painted my S-10 (in the background), painted a streetfighter project bike and about 5-6 solid body guitars. Each time it turns out a bit better. I use a professional quality spray gun and an industrial size 2-stage air compressor with a 60 gal. tank. I usually use Martin Senour paint materials from the local NAPA dealer. I spent a bit of time with the paint man, getting ideas and tips. I found that you naturally get more skillful as you lay down the primer/sealer, base coat then the clear coat. Primer is very forgiving. Base coat you can wet sand any imperfections after about 15 minutes, then recoat. Clear coat, well it either lays down smooth or it runs. You can always wet sand out the runs later on, but if they are too thick there are small air bubbles that will stand out. Every gearhead should try painting. Its good experience and will surely give you an appreciation for what the pro's do. The only problem I ran into was that I should have trial fit the fairing before painting. I had to trim the upper portion above the mirrors to clear the new bar/risers. Now, I have to touch up the area where I cut. Doesn't look too bad in pic's, but up close? Not so good. Had I checked for clearance, I could have made the cuts and rounded the edges, making it look like factory. I also missed a very small dent (hardly noticeable) in the tank. Had I used different color primers (light and dark guide coat), I would have noticed the small imperfection and filled it. Oh, well. There's always something to be learned.

Re the lower fairing, I am inclined to paint that and the seat cowling red to match the rest of the bike. I also want to powder coat the wheels gloss black and add red reflective striping around the rims. Polished rims are nice, but require too much maintenance.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Squid

cosean is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tips. I purchased a prof. spray gun, have a compressor and had a little previous introduction/eperience helping prep and paint my boat. I got extra paint and will practice on something before the real thing. I decided to go with a couple cans of clearcoat from NAPA. The guy said it's the same stuff without the hassle of prepping and cleaning the spray gun. If this comes out good, I have to fill a dent on the tailgate if my truck and repaint. Did the lower come ready for paint or does it need sanding? Bike looks good!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Squid

The PO painted the lower and the seat cowling matte black. I believe the lower comes already primed and ready for paint from Sharkskinz. Good luck with your painting project. I've never tried the canned clear coat. I like to mix my own and use the right hardener for the temperature range I'm working in. Have fun!