Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Lower Sharkskinz?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Squid

ESwan is on a distinguished road
Lower Sharkskinz?

Morning,

I am considering getting a Sharkskinz lower fairing, but I was wondering what you guys have done as far as paint goes. My bike is red, and it seems like it would be a hard color to match. I was browsing this forum and it sounded like the best option was color rite.

I have seen some pictures of lower fairings and the color looks like it matches perfectly, so I was just wondering how you did it and any advice you might have for someone wanting to do the same thing. I know certain shops will match paint, but I have heard some bad things about the results.

I'm also sorry if this has been asked before, but in all my searching I didn't come up with any posts.

Also, if anyone has a red lower fairing they are wanting to sell just send me a PM.

Thanks,
Erik
Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Back Marker

twinman is on a distinguished road
yes color rite is the way to go. expensive tho like 250.00 a pint!! perfect match. go to the color rite website and they will hook ya up with what u need.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
To do red with colorrite paint requires three coats: white base, red color and clear. I did mine with their aerosol cans and you are able to match it almost perfect. Do a little practice piece and find out how many coats of white and red. Mine worked out to two white and three red.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
It's R-157 (Italian Red) from what i remember my painter telling. She perfectly matched a replacement fairing piece to the bike after repair.

Code R157
Paint Name Italian Red
ColorRite Top 2228-3
ColorRite Base 1310

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-20-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Be sure to also get some heat shielding for the inside of the lower near the header. Used some from thermo-tec a few years back on some sharkskinz bodywork and it worked like a champ. Warm to the touch with the header practically touching the lower, whereas it was HOT where there was no heat shielding and several inches of clearance. Your paint job will thank you...I could never understand seeing beautiful custom bikes with gorgeous paintjobs and black ovals burned into the lower fairings.

As far as the paint goes if you're **** and want it perfect then spend the $ and go with the colorite paints. If not then you can have a good bodyshop match the color. It may not be 100% perfect though. I had a bodyshop match the '99 yellow and even with the pearl in it was about a 98% match-it was really really close and I'm **** and studied color theory during my graphic design days in college. Really looked nice and was probably cheaper than just the cost of buying the paint from colorite, plus I got a pro finish. I guess if money were no object and I wanted it perfect I'd buy the paints from colorite and give it to a good bodyshop to spray.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Squid

ESwan is on a distinguished road
Thanks for clearing that up! I guess my other question would be if anyone else makes a lower besides sharkskinz. I'm not opposed to them by any means I just wanted to check my options.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
By the way paint matched Targa lowers fairings are on ebay for $400 shipped. I have no experience with them though maybe someone else can chime in.

2002 Honda VTR1000 TARGA Lower Cowl Belly Pan 1 - Piece Paint Italian Red Match | eBay
Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
I used Rustoleum Professional Enamel 'Safety Red'.
Check out the VTR of the month June...
just a tad cheaper than color-rite stuff...and I sprayed it on a primer grey.
It's really close. I figured it was good enough for the track anyway.