Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

How would red headers and cans look?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
How would red headers and cans look?

I picked up some high temp spray paint from a speciality store, (red and black) and I am thinking about cleaning and painting my headers and cans red (or black).

Anyone ever seen this?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:41 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
If you're 'Hawk is black then red cans would be awesome. But if its not the red plastic and red paint you have will probably contrast drastically and look like hell. I've painted several cans black using hi temp paint and am very happy with the results. Rode with a guy who fightered his 636 and used hi temp black on his headers and they looked great. So ideal would be black bike or white, black headers, and red cans. Or red bike with black headers and cans.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I painted my midpipes. Wrapped and painted the headers. I think it looks nice. I don't know about doing the cans though. I guess it would be interesting to see.
Attached Thumbnails How would red headers and cans look?-latest.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
Yes, the bike is black - Hotbrakes, I think you have a good idea with the black pipes and red cans.

I am going up to the mountains to ride my dirt bike this weekend, but sometime next week I'll post some pics.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Well..........perhaps if the paint you use is better quality than that used by a friend of mine. The red header pipes turned pink. Flamer pink. The pink you see at the Disney theme park on Gay Pride day.

And it was a pure PITA to get it cleaned off.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Well..........perhaps if the paint you use is better quality than that used by a friend of mine. The red header pipes turned pink. Flamer pink. The pink you see at the Disney theme park on Gay Pride day.

Ha! I'm thinking it might look kinda gay even if they don't turn pink.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:55 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
I dont like the idea. Ive seen it done and it never looks good unless the pipes are ceramic coated
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Squid

Infusi0n
It may say hi-temp, but my headers were painted (pre buying the bike) and the paint was as special hi-temp paint, but it just flaked off in patches.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Infusi0n
It may say hi-temp, but my headers were painted (pre buying the bike) and the paint was as special hi-temp paint, but it just flaked off in patches.
The guy with the 636 that Hotbrakes was talking about just used barbeque grill paint. Good for much higher temps than regular hi-temp stuff I imagine.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod

I when I was a kid, I painted my CR125 pipe red and it came out kind of orange. Had to use acetone to get it off. Really sucked. I also agree with the mismatched colors. Go with black because it is doubtful you will be able to match the plastic.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
The guy with the 636 that Hotbrakes was talking about just used barbeque grill paint. Good for much higher temps than regular hi-temp stuff I imagine.
He may have used engine paint. It's high temp, but an engine does not reach the same temps as the headers.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
actually i'm glad someone asked this question because i've been considering painting my headers and cans. I have the black jardine RT-one cans and the paint has started to flake off in some parts and it looks kind of shitty. I don't think a flat black would look good on the cans so does anyone know of a high temp paint that will stay gloss instdead of flattening out? engine enamel maybe?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle
actually i'm glad someone asked this question because i've been considering painting my headers and cans. I have the black jardine RT-one cans and the paint has started to flake off in some parts and it looks kind of shitty. I don't think a flat black would look good on the cans so does anyone know of a high temp paint that will stay gloss instdead of flattening out? engine enamel maybe?
Jet Hot does a ceramic black coating that is good to 1800 degrees f.