Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Anyone know of a "tinting spray" I can use on my stock windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Anyone know of a "tinting spray" I can use on my stock windshield?

I know it exists, has anyone here used it? I want to invest in a double bubble screen soon, but i want that tinted look now! Pretty much the only thing holding me up from putting my new plastics on.

thanks

justin
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
VHT NightShade is what a few friends of mine used. their shields look really good, the more coats you put on the darker the tint
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

thank you! I'll look into it.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Squid

2wheelust is on a distinguished road
its selling for not much more than the can of tinting spray is prolly gonna sell for...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17488

How often are you actually looking through your stocker? I have used just rattle can "black" on my stock windscreens until I ponied up for aftermarkets. Just prep properly and tape the lip (top edge) for a better look and spray. $4 bucks and 25 mins......... Can't see through it obviously but wasn't an issue ever for me.

Just a thought
Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Black spray paint actually looks really good. My friend did his VFR and you can't even tell its the stock screen.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I have a pal that has a new zx10r who thought he had window cleaner and it was some sort of brake cleaner and totally messed up his screen. He painted it black and it looks great. I have another friend who was mounting a camera and didn't want to cut a hole in a custom iridium screen for he drilled the hole in the stock and painted it. It looks great on his R1.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Superstock

RoofCleanPhenom is an unknown quantity at this point
I used Krylon Fusion on my old one, seemed to work great. Couldn't see through it, but it was solid gray before so I didn't notice much..
If you're used to a see-thru I suppose it could make a difference.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Squid

Unclutchable is on a distinguished road
stop by your local oreilly's, tell them to order you this. it's the night shade as mentioned earlier. people spray this product on headlights and tails and such. should be exactly what you're asking about.

Line code: VHT
Part number: SP999

and save their idiocy. i'm neither confirming nor denying that i work for said company, but i do know how widely their stupidity abounds. speaking for the majority of them, if it's not in their computer, they won't find it.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:56 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

has anyone tinted their headlight plastic? would that be dangerous or look dumb?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 2wheelust
its selling for not much more than the can of tinting spray is prolly gonna sell for...

How often are you actually looking through your stocker? I have used just rattle can "black" on my stock windscreens until I ponied up for aftermarkets. Just prep properly and tape the lip (top edge) for a better look and spray. $4 bucks and 25 mins......... Can't see through it obviously but wasn't an issue ever for me.

Just a thought
thanks! I PM'd him.....I missed that earlier.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
has anyone tinted their headlight plastic? would that be dangerous or look dumb?
Depends how much you want to see at night...

Those mesh helmet coverings that go over the visor as well claim to not block but a small amount of your vision. Would you have seen that dog in the distance? Or the flash of the car's wheel turning as it pulled out in front of you?

You might get away with doing it and it will probably look good. But one day you might not...then what?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Squid

Unclutchable is on a distinguished road
day helmet and a night helmet. my night helmet has a couple red led's in the rear and a clear lens
Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM
SuperSport

I've even come to the realization that I can't ride with a tinted visor. Darkness always comes before I am home. Two helmets or two visors doesn't work for me.

If you can live with a day helmet and night helmet, have a day bike and night bike.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:16 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2wheelust

Just a thought

ummm I tend to look through my screen on a fairly regular basis ... our twisty backroads are covered with potholes so i like the highway
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Don't tint your headlight plastic...change the centerpiece of your fairing to a contrasting color. I swapped my yellow one for black and it came out really cool....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
or a not so perinment way is go 2 a sign shop, they can cover it in vinyl on inside, looks j/ like my zero gravity one, and u can take off or change color when get tired of it
Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I didn't know they still made tinting spray. I used it in 1967 on my '62 VW, it worked great.

But since you're eventually going to replace the screen anyway, you might just want to paint the inside black, like stated above.

Oh, and I put on a Lockhart Phillips dark smoke screen last summer, for under $50. It really makes a big difference in the appearance of the bike. Even got one for my wife's SV.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure how you could get the tint coat even enough over a large surface like that, so it didn't look blotchy. With normal paint, it doesn't matter how thick it is as long as it covers it. Would it be possible to roll tint on there or is it curved too much?

I used to swap visors and even had two helmets. But it sucks ***** when you don't plan ahead and end up having to ride home in the dark with tint. At least with a clear windscreen you could duck behind it and open your visor. After a movie once I had to swap helmets with my g/f to get home because she had the clear visor, on her PINK helmet, lol.

Basically, you should tint the visor or the windscreen, but not both.

I finally put a tint strip on my helmet. It's perfect! I can tip my head a bit on the rare occasion that the sun is on the horizon ahead of me, and I don't have to ever swap visors. My g/f put a shield on hers that darkens in the sun, but it doesn't darken enough to let you stare into the sun.

Don't tint the headlight, that's ridiculous IMO, unless you never ride at night. I already have the relay upgrade and still want to go brighter.

The universal one works great on my Shoei. They have an Arai-specific one too.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
I think I will be trying the VHT nite shades to do my stock wind screen.

I assume you put it on the underside of the wind screen?

Here is the official website http://www.vhtpaint.com/niteshades.html

Google product search has it around 16 shipped from eBay buy it now

http://www.google.com/products?q=vht...ades&scoring=p

Here is a video on youtube some guy smoke out his lights with it, looks pretty good, if they guy could just figure out how to use a camera now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgGR5-ySY-I

I like the idea of being able to tint it darker by putting more coats on it 5%-100% it says.

Their website says that Checker/Kragen Autozone and Napa are all suppliers of their product so you may be able to have them order it if they dont have it in stock.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 PM
SuperSport

I've seen tint paint from various companies in the spray paint section. VHT makes some good stuff.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Only VTR's
Squid

dvwalker is on a distinguished road
Do you spray the inside or outside of the windscreen?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Only VTR's
Squid

dvwalker is on a distinguished road
I guess nobody knows?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM
SuperSport

Always spray or tint the inside. This will protect it from bugs and rock chips and cleanings.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
that's what I was going to attempt. I do have a scuff on the front side of the screen and was curious if it would make it stand out or not.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I'm not sure how you could get the tint coat even enough over a large surface like that, so it didn't look blotchy. With normal paint, it doesn't matter how thick it is as long as it covers it. Would it be possible to roll tint on there or is it curved too much?

I used to swap visors and even had two helmets. But it sucks ***** when you don't plan ahead and end up having to ride home in the dark with tint. At least with a clear windscreen you could duck behind it and open your visor. After a movie once I had to swap helmets with my g/f to get home because she had the clear visor, on her PINK helmet, lol.

Basically, you should tint the visor or the windscreen, but not both.

I finally put a tint strip on my helmet. It's perfect! I can tip my head a bit on the rare occasion that the sun is on the horizon ahead of me, and I don't have to ever swap visors. My g/f put a shield on hers that darkens in the sun, but it doesn't darken enough to let you stare into the sun.

Don't tint the headlight, that's ridiculous IMO, unless you never ride at night. I already have the relay upgrade and still want to go brighter.

The universal one works great on my Shoei. They have an Arai-specific one too.
That's a great idea! Don't know why I never thought of that.
(isn't it upside down?)