Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Help Hiding Scratches

Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Squid

OhYouJest is on a distinguished road
Help Hiding Scratches

Just bought an 03 hawk, but it's got quite a few vertical scratches on the gas tank, just above the seat. Looks like somebody's jacket has been gnawing on the tank. I'd like to cover them up with a tank protector pad but when browsing an internet for them I noticed most don't have any demensions listed. So I need to know, from those who have them, what sizes are available. I need something at least 3.5" wide at the bottom where it meets the seat to cover properly. Pictures, ideas and input all greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
I have an all leather tank bra for that reason..look at my pics and you will see. It was made by lp lockhart Phillips co.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Old 10-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
I don't think that really answers his question He doesn't want to remove a tank pad he wants to add one but wants to make sure he gets one with the right dimensions to cover the scratches on his tank and he cant find dimensions listed for any tank pads anywhere

Do you have any halfway decent bike shops local? Most crap bike shops will even have a protector or two sitting on the shelf, and buy things local when you can to help the little guys stay in business so that when you need a part that day they are still there to give it to you

I don't buy everything from a dealer (in fact I refuse to give my local shop down the road any business but there is another shop 45 mins away that I do deal with, long story) but I always give them a call first and when its a special order, I shop with them enough that they normally match a price from whatever reputable online dealer I can find it from and when its a normally stocked item they usually give me a discount because I always try to shop with them and not just when its an emergency. Larger shops aren't always like that but most hole in the wall ones once you get a relationship going with them they treat you a lot better than any online or bigger retailer will in my experiance

Last edited by insulinboy; 10-16-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by insulinboy View Post
I don't think that really answers his question
LOL, I kinda think it will help answer his question. The link was to get to the post w/ the pic, not show him how to remove anything. If you would have clicked it you would see that it goes directly to my photo. Seeing my tank pad may just be enough to help him decide if one will be big enough to cover said scratches.
YMMV
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
LOL, I kinda think it will help answer his question. The link was to get to the post w/ the pic, not show him how to remove anything. If you would have clicked it you would see that it goes directly to my photo. Seeing my tank pad may just be enough to help him decide if one will be big enough to cover said scratches.
YMMV
My apologies, read into the post wrong
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Squid

Yes that did help, Wolverine, thanks. The few scratches I have are further apart than what that is able to cover. As an update, I was able to find, after many emails, that Progrip makes a large tank pad. Demensions are 11" tall x 6.5" wide, which should cover most if not all the damage. I wasn't too keen on the half tank cover, to each his own I guess.

When it gets here, I will try an post up a before and after; although it's tough to take a picture of a reflective gas tank. I will also post up pictures in user rides as undertail, flush mounts and other lookie-good bits are delivered.

Thanks for, the help and input! Look forward to becoming more involved in this forum.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Squid

I finally got a picture of the culprits!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 PM
MotoGP

Wow, those are pretty serious. I'd use some touch-up paint before the protector. colorrite paint code PB215C.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Squid

Yep, otherwise it'll rust. Thanks for the paint code too.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
This is what I use on mine.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Squid

ahernandez74 is on a distinguished road
I would maybe vinyl wrap the entire tank. Carbon Fiber? That'll help also protect the rest of it in the case you keep scratching sh*t up.

If you also need some additional storage, you can use a tank bag to kinda minimize the amount of scratches on your tank.. Check this out http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/Motorcycle-Tank-Bags.htm .
Old 11-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Squid

bird-rider is on a distinguished road
Had the same problem lately, I was thinking of getting of a touch up paint, but a friend of mine suggested me to use Langka touch up paint system w/c could be bought online like with autogeek. I must say it works great and will hardly notice the paint chipped or deep scratches. Just make sure to buff it out.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Tank Bra works!