Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Going repsol

Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Squid

stumplove is on a distinguished road
Going repsol

So in deciding to go with a repsol replica hawk, my first step was to get the tank the right color and get the wings for the tank. With the matched base and colorcoat from colorrite, and the wing from alloutgraphics.com, I think I came pretty close to nailing it. If anyone was wondering about these two companies, I would definitely recommend them. They ship quick and their products are outstanding. Will post a pic later.
Attached Thumbnails Going repsol-548873_10201733864452266_360726021_n.jpg  

Last edited by stumplove; 07-29-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Squid

finished product!! So shiny without even buffing/polishing!
Attached Thumbnails Going repsol-954704_10201750451826940_1602052837_n.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stumplove View Post
finished product!! So shiny without even buffing/polishing!
Who painted that? Beautiful.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Looks like you have a great start stump!!! Keep us posted.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by jerryh View Post
Who painted that? Beautiful.
I actually painted it myself. Ordered an 11oz rattlecan of base paint and repsol paint from colorrite and their kk7 clearcoat kit. The urethane rattlecans sprayed and covered well and evenly. The kk7 clearcoat kit is a urethane clearcoat with a catalyst you mix in and it comes with a sprayer to apply it. The clear was a little harder to work with as it seemed to go on kinda thick and then seemed to flow and spread after half a minute or so. So making sure your coats were even took a little more attention. The finish is absolutely gorgeous and is supposedly tough as nails.....only time will tell. I will definitely update as I go :-)
Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stumplove View Post
I actually painted it myself. Ordered an 11oz rattlecan of base paint and resold paint from colorrite and their kk7 clearcoat kit. The urethane rattlecans sprayed and covered well and evenly. The kk7 clearcoat kit is a urethane clearcoat with a catalyst you mix in and it comes with a sprayer to apply it. The clear was a little harder to work with as it seemed to go on kinda thick and then seemed to flow and spread after half a minute or so. So making sure your coats were even took a little more attention. The finish is absolutely gorgeous and is supposedly tough as nails.....only time will tell. I will definitely update as I go :-)
Way to go and thanks for the tips. I'm having trouble painting my chin spoiler and this will help. Hard to believe you did that with rattle cans
Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 AM
Squid

Yeah I hate rattlecans usually but I didn't want to cough up over 60$ for a pint in a can. The 11oz spray cans were enough to do 3 coats of base with a light 1000 grit sand in between and 3 full even coats of color with no sanding between coats. The 6oz clear was enough to do 3 full layers of clear as well. This was the first time I've cleared over graphics too, and I'm so glad I did, the sheen is so nice and even. I'm so glad I didn't cheap out on the paint. True story, you get what you pay for.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Colorrite is AWESOME. They are pricey but worth the money. I've used there stuff before just in the rattle cans even to quick spray a new hugger or seat cowl or to fix some road rash and its been so close even with a crappy spray job that I've just left it like that rather than payed to have it done. Of course now I know a good painter that I let do all my stuff for me but for a quick fix I'd have no issue ordering something from colorrite and shelling out the money
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by insulinboy View Post
Colorrite is AWESOME. They are pricey but worth the money. I've used there stuff before just in the rattle cans even to quick spray a new hugger or seat cowl or to fix some road rash and its been so close even with a crappy spray job that I've just left it like that rather than payed to have it done. Of course now I know a good painter that I let do all my stuff for me but for a quick fix I'd have no issue ordering something from colorrite and shelling out the money
Ive been looking for good painters in my area and the general opinion is that theyre all more or less crap. If Im going to pay for a crap paintjob, Ill risk it and do it myself for 1/4 the price. Ive had good luck thus far. Im also starting to do my own powdercoating so I hope to be a one-man custom shop soon. lol.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Squid

Longmont is on a distinguished road
Chinese Repsol fairing just arrived.

Your tank is beautiful. I just received my Chinese Repsol fairing from AddMotoR. Had seen favorable videos on youtube. Quality is disappointing, would only recommend to an exp mechanic. Lots of fasteners to buy, no problem there. Molds are crude. Word Repsol above headlight is good, but the L on the left side fairing half does not line up. The Honda paint jobs are perfect, this is not. Might ask them for 2 new parts whose Repsol graphic lines up. Grade before attempted install: D. It is beautiful from 10 feet away. A little rough on closer inspection. Paid $488. Will knuckle down and complete the metamorphosis. Bought spare tank on eBay. Anybody else buy a Chinese kit?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Longmont View Post
Your tank is beautiful. I just received my Chinese Repsol fairing from AddMotoR. Had seen favorable videos on youtube. Quality is disappointing, would only recommend to an exp mechanic. Lots of fasteners to buy, no problem there. Molds are crude. Word Repsol above headlight is good, but the L on the left side fairing half does not line up. The Honda paint jobs are perfect, this is not. Might ask them for 2 new parts whose Repsol graphic lines up. Grade before attempted install: D. It is beautiful from 10 feet away. A little rough on closer inspection. Paid $488. Will knuckle down and complete the metamorphosis. Bought spare tank on eBay. Anybody else buy a Chinese kit?
A few threads out here mentionning the good or bad quality of these Chinese produced fairings. I don't know if you had taken the time to read up on them before you ordered. If not, it would of saved you some grief
and perhaps a few $$$$ if you were not aware of this poor quality possibility.
I know I ordered the seat cowl a few years ago, and finish on it is far from perfect, and, rear light sits off center. I also expect the light to eventualy break the tabs off from vibrations since these are quite flimsy. I got off with a 150$ invoice and was pissed when I saw it. I can only imagine your disappointment after a 500$ invoice.