Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Headlight Bulb Replacement

Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Trouble Makers Union 510
Squid

Roundboy is on a distinguished road
Headlight Bulb Replacement

What's the deal with replacing the headlight bulbs? I'm thinking I want something better than the dingy yellow light...maybe like the blue bright lights I see on BMWs and other newer cars and bikes... I see a bunch listed on Ebay and there are some for as low as $2.55 and others that are like $60

What is the right one to purchase and does anyone have any experience with if they were quality or not?

Thanks in advance...it's just been something I've been thinking of doing for a while and haven't a clue even after doing some research on my own...
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm running a Silvertstar which works plenty good for me. I think the Part # is H4ST. I've also seen quite a few bikes with HID's and those are bright as all hell. Maybe someday I'll upgrade, but for now I'm satisfied.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
How far do you want to take it and how much work do you want to do?

Easiest is to just go down to the auto parts store and get some Sylvania Silver Star Ultra's They are standard H4 bulbs, umm 9007 or 9003 (I forget which). Those are much brighter and about 4200k (so white, not blue).. If you want blue, you have to go to a higher number, but personally I like the ultras, it is what I have on my bike and while not as "cool" the visibility is actually higher/better than the bluer ones.

Or you can go all out and do a HID conversion.. That takes time and effort, modification etc.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Lazn and I did the bulb replacements at the same time(its kind of like noahs ark we buy things in sets lol) and there was definitely a difference with the silverstar ultras as the color temperature of the light is closer to sunlight making visibility much better. I hear even the stock setup but running a relay to the headlight will be a massive improvement as the voltage drops through the stock wiring, there is a thread stating the percentages of light output vs voltage drop somewhere here. I say you do the silverstar, if you are not satisfied do the relay then if all else fails for with the HID. You can get the silverstars at any checker or autozone.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
www.rallylights.com Order a Hella H4 12v Osram Hyper Bulb and never look back. Or call and talk to them. Very knowledgable.

This bulb combined with the wiring upgrade, well, it's not an HID, but it's brighter than all of my buddies Silverstars and other Autozone H4 bulbs.

If you want to look at the wiring upgrade go to www.easternbeaver.com and look at his H4 wiring. Very well put together. I think it was worth the $50.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Trouble Makers Union 510
Squid

Roundboy is on a distinguished road
great replys

and that is why i love this forum.

thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
+1 on eastern beaver huge difference 5 min install
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

Eastern Beaver is so easy, I unhooked it in the parking lot, to show the guys in the club the difference.

The biggest reason I'd recommend Eastern Beaver to anyone is the quality of product and craftmanship. When I got the product, I was blown away. It didn't look like something that was made in a guys house. Looked very professional and factory.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
im going to get a PIAA H4 bulb for my bike pretty soon. they've got 2.5 times the output with the same power draw. ill get mine for about 40 bucks.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Death Cattle
im going to get a PIAA H4 bulb for my bike pretty soon. they've got 2.5 times the output with the same power draw. ill get mine for about 40 bucks.
Nothing agaisnt PIAA, but did you check out the site I linked? It was at least double what stock is, and only half the price you plan on paying for the PIAA. Not trying to push what I did, but if I could save $20........
Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
www.rallylights.com Order a Hella H4 12v Osram Hyper Bulb and never look back. Or call and talk to them. Very knowledgable.

This bulb combined with the wiring upgrade, well, it's not an HID, but it's brighter than all of my buddies Silverstars and other Autozone H4 bulbs.

If you want to look at the wiring upgrade go to www.easternbeaver.com and look at his H4 wiring. Very well put together. I think it was worth the $50.
Did you get the 70/65 or the 85/80? I'm assuming with the Easten Beaver setup the 85/80 would get all 12 volts, but I wonder about the heat. Also did you get the cable that combines both hi and low elements when the high beam is on, or the standard one?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 AM
SuperBike

I went with the 85/80, on the recommendation from Tweety that it shouldn't get hot enough to damage anything, he also said to stay away from the 100W, the will melt the housing when lit and on a hot day.

I went with the Eastern Beaver kit that left the High/Low seperate. No sense in trying to create extra heat.

Next addition for the headlight should go on soon......a Firestorm headlight switch.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 AM
jonesey
Squid

jonesey is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi all, i've been using a lucas 100w/160w for 2 years now and not had any problems with electrical or heat on the lens etc.
Just my pennies worth.
Cheers, jonesey.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 AM
SuperBike

Jonesey, that is good to hear.

Now if you were putting the full 12V to the bulb, you wouldn't need the 100/160, and/or you'd have heat problems.

If I can find it again, it's in another thread, there is small chart to show actual output of the bulbs at different voltages.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:05 AM
SuperBike

Ok, here ya go. The voltage vs. output, and two other threads about this, just so you can see other comments.

Light output, or luminous intensity drops off faster than the voltage drops because of the relationship between the two.

100% voltage = 100% intensity
95% voltage = 83% intensity
90% voltage = 67% intensity
85% voltage = 53% intensity

A H4 bulb is designed to operate near the 14V your alternator puts out. If you are only getting 12V from the battery when the lights are on, you will only be producing 1/2 of the possible light output.
85% Voltage is 11.9V, just as an FYI, half the light.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...dlight+upgrade

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16749
Old 03-07-2009, 08:29 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Has anyone found a suitable high performance replacement for the rear brake lights?

Actually doing a little research on the Internet I was able to identify the position light as a #194 wedge light bulb and the two rear brake lights as #7443 wedge bulbs.

Last edited by reaper; 03-07-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:14 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
Nothing agaisnt PIAA, but did you check out the site I linked? It was at least double what stock is, and only half the price you plan on paying for the PIAA. Not trying to push what I did, but if I could save $20........
ok, now that you point that out i have a couple questions. is the difference between 70/65 and 60/65 very big? also, not legal for highway use? is it too bright?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by reaper
Has anyone found a suitable high performance replacement for the rear brake lights?

Actually doing a little research on the Internet I was able to identify the position light as a #194 wedge light bulb and the two rear brake lights as #7443 wedge bulbs.
For the rear, $20 will get you the same 10 LED trailer light from Advance Auto Parts, that Haknslash did a write up on. Search for his thread. I did this, really easy, VERY BRIGHT.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Death Cattle
ok, now that you point that out i have a couple questions. is the difference between 70/65 and 60/65 very big? also, not legal for highway use? is it too bright?
I'm not sure techinically how big of a difference it is. I'm sure some others could comment on it.

I don't think it can be "too bright". To me, the more light the better. Besides, compared to some of the HIDs out there, it's not too bright. Since it's a nice clean bright white, instead of green/purple/blue, you won't draw attention to yourself.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
I'd like to find a "white" light for the light above the headlight.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 AM
SuperBike

HondaJim, I found these, but haven't tried them.
http://www.customled.com/products/le.../led_bulbs.htm

A LED 194. $10 for the pair.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
SuperSport

For the rear, $20 will get you the same 10 LED trailer light from Advance Auto Parts, that Haknslash did a write up on. Search for his thread. I did this, really easy, VERY BRIGHT.
I will look for his thread.

thx
Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
For the white light do this one:

Originally Posted by HondaJim
I'd like to find a "white" light for the light above the headlight.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...&highlight=194

nice and bright, a little towards blue as opposed to yellow
Old 03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Any other recommendations besides the PIAA, Silverstar, and Hella Hypers?

I have the eastern beaver relay kit installed, but want to up the headlight too. I will post pics of all 4 combinations after I'm done.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
SuperSport

I have the PIAA and I should have gone with the Silverstars. I have the Silverstars in both of my vehicles and the two are similar in brightness, but the Silverstars are a fraction of the price.

CC, I looked for Hakhslash's thread and was not able to find the thread.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
They haven't proven to be reliable in my cars. I'm not jumping at the thought of one in my bike, shaking and rattling and burning out both filaments at night.

Can one filament failing cause the other to fail? I think they're very close to each other.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yes, they can... the end parts of the burned of filament can short out the remaining filament... That's usually what has happened if the bulb looks sooty on the inside when you replace it...
Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by reaper
I have the PIAA and I should have gone with the Silverstars. I have the Silverstars in both of my vehicles and the two are similar in brightness, but the Silverstars are a fraction of the price.

CC, I looked for Hakhslash's thread and was not able to find the thread.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t=led+retrofit

It's a sticky for crying out loud...
Old 03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
SuperSport

Go figure, its staring me in the face and I miss it. Thanks Tweety.