Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Hard Bags?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Hard Bags?

I'm looking for a set of hardbags for my hawk. Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm liking them more and more since the two guys that I ride the most with both have them. I've come to the conclusion that if I don't get some sort of storage on the bike, I won't ride it as often as I want.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Squid

petev
Corbin made a set.Isaw some on E-Bay a month or so a go.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Squid

VTR69
Re: Hard Bags?

I have seen a set-up called Beetle Bags on a Superhawk and other bikes though haven't heard much about them lately. You might Google it. Nice looking gear. Looked like plastic or fiberglass form fitting units. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:25 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey penst8, long time no see. The Corbin ones are called beetle bags, not sure what else is out there. You could always do soft bags as well I think Joe Rocket has some.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad

Thanks guys. I'll check them out.

And yes SH22, it's been a while. 2 kids, job, school and coaching are eating all of my free time. Busier than a 1 armed paper hanger lately.

Hopefully as the weather breaks I'll be more regular. right now I don't even have time to dream about riding.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Good God! $600-$900 for a set of hardbags, the bride would kill me.

I still have my old katana 600. Maybe I'll get that beast out of storage and make it my distance machine. It did get way better gas mileage anyway.

Then I'll get a set of CHEAP bags for on it and not worry about how the lines look.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:53 AM
MotoGP

Well it is corbin.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
True. I've got her livingroom almost remodeled. She just noticed the other day how the "little changes" she wanted seem to add a couple hundred here and there.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:21 AM
MotoGP

Funny how our lives parallel all the time, I just got through reflooring 2 rooms and thats just the begining.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Squid

High_Side

I've had a set on my VTR for several years. It's a long story but my soft saddlebags cut lose one day and jammed my wheel at high speed nearly killing me. They were 13 years old and had over 100K on them so I guess there was a reason that strap broke....
Anyway, I will never again use soft bags. I had recalled a set of hard bags collecting dust at the local dealer and ended up picking up three Bieffe bags and brackets for $300! They required some custom mounting and I had it all sorted in one day.
Because my buddy picked up the pieces off of the road when I crashed I ended up with two sets of bodywork. With the set that I had pieced back together, I cut holes to align with the hollow tube that is in the sub-frame directly behind the seat latch. I then mounted a piece of all-thread rod through this tube and used to fasten the bag frame in place so it is rock solid. The entire kit comes off in about 1/2hr and I have rubber gromets that fill the holes when it is off. Hard bags kick *** for touring and I would never consider going back. Mounting them properly is critical however...
Old 05-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got the beetlebags, and think I'm up to about $300 all told. Ebayed a set of rashed up bags and then fiberglassed and painted. I still need to go back and bondo, prime, and repaint, but they're functional, so I don't really care right now. I'll probably do them when I've got the tank off for paint. (read: next winter). I love the things. I keep my raingear in the right bag along with some basics (bungee net, flashlight, addl tools), and put 'daily' stuff in the other side. I never have to worry about getting caught out in the rain, and still have plenty of space for ferrying stuff back and forth from work. I wish they were a little less 'fitted' to the bodywork and had a more rounded interior, but as long as it's soft malleable stuff I'm packing (like clothes), it's not really an issue.

I've added a red VFR tank since this pic, but you get the idea: