General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tank Bags

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
Tank Bags

Anyone use a tank bag? Any recomendations? I have used a strap on (keep your heads out of the gutter ) bag in the past, but I want to get a magnetic bag with a shoulder strap or backpack straps so I don't have to leave it on the bike. A map pocket would be nice too.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I have a Chase Harper magnetic tankbag that I've found extremely useful. It's big and not sleek, but it's functional. And in a pinch, I can lie against it when tucked in on the highway. It also has a map "pocket," which is really just a clear plastic piece held down using velcro on each end.

It's also ugly, so no one would think to steal it.

http://www.chaseharper.com/TankBags/0700.htm

It kinda looks like that ^ , but isn't the same model (mine's a lot older).
Old 06-12-2007, 11:10 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I was always afraid of magnetic ones until I got one cheap off ebay but it was small. Sold it and got a big one that expands. WAY more useful. No problems scratching the tank if you always fold the flaps closed when you remove it and keep the tank surface reasonably clean (it doesn't have to be spotless).

Yup, map pocket is the way to go. Another must have for me is a small external pocket(s). Great way to store items for quick access such as air gauge, cell phone, lube, shield spray, etc. Things that on a trip you'd have to dig for at every fuel stop since tank bag law states the item you need the most will have sunk to the most difficult location since the last time you opened it!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
I have two motopaks the big 27 liter (way too big for everyday use), the the motopak mini (perfect for short rides where you just need the essentials: carrying papers, and a cell phone), and I am thinking about either getting an Icon Primer bag or the Motopak 20 liter for regular everyday use.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Marsee magnetic tank bag. It has served me very well for about the 7 years that I've had it. I think it is 15 liter that expands to 20 liter in a pinch. I can fit a spare helmet in mine when it's fully expanded. It has a clear zipped sleeve on top for maps as well, although I think most tank bags have that. I can't find a pic of the one I have since they've since made newer model versions. These bags are more of an oval shape. Here is their site

http://www.marseeproducts.com/
Old 06-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
I have 3 tankbags:

1. Venerable locally-made strap-on one, bought for a BMW in the mid 1970s. Harder to fit the straps to a modern bike, but the most convenient of the lot because the clips are still just great and it never scratches anything. If the straps are long enough, as on this one, it is easy to put on and take off the straps as well as the bag: took me on average less than a minute to put the strapping on the old BM, nearer 5 on a GSX-R.

2. Magnetic one - my son swears by it, but since I do a lot of riding on gravel roads and in dusty conditions, I find it causes lots of scratching (not arguing with the previous post - I agree that you can take measures to save scratching; just be careful where you go.) I find the extra weight of the magnets a PITA.

3. A Bagster bag that fits on the model-specific tank cover on my Varadero. The most secure of the lot on the bike, carries a good load, but tank covers are bloody ugly and I would never have one on my SH. I can tie other things to the tank cover, though...
Old 06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I like Nelson-Rigg but to each his own. Shop around a little, check size, features and warranty. I like having a bag so much that I started using it in my car, etc., until I bought a motorcycle specific backpack.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:03 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I was running with my magnetic tank bag the day of my wreck. Despite T-boning an Isuzu Trooper at 45mph the bag stayed put. I had a jobsite clipboard in it and my digital camera - all fine. It came with the bike when I bought it. I always think of the tank like an egg. I hate the heavy magnets on it but if you must carry things (I'm big on mixing work with fun) you gotta have the tools to make that possible. I would buy another one and I agree the map faces are nice.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Squid

firestorm'n is on a distinguished road
Just bought an ICON tank bag last week. I had my doubts. I've done some tests. This thing is not coming off. No map pocket, but still a very good bag.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MotoP...spagenameZWDVW

I have this one, I had a smaller one that I resold of there's and wish I had not sold it..then bought another small one...they rock..won't come off...more than enough room, map on top and when you zipthe bag off, there is another map pocket on the base...The bag has backpack straps, or the handle on top...this is an all around great bag...don't let the price fool you...it is worth a lot more than what they sell for...imho check out there other items for sale, many other bags
Old 06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
I just bought a new Wolfman Timberwolf "Strap" (vs. "Mag")and rode from Denver to Taos...and then two days later from Taos to Dallas in one shot. Great bag. You guys weren't kidding about a sore @$$ on this thing. I love the tank bag. I also bought a tail bag, but it doesn't fit well enough on the hawk to recommend. Great bag, but without doing some customizing it slides forward. They also make the bag with magnets. Here's the link to the bag I bought: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/TimberwolfStrap.html
I also have a brand new Timberwolf Mag bag I can sell you cheap. Never used, and similar to what I got but has no side pockets. Also mag vs. strap. Any reasonable offer taken. I ordered it off ebay but it didn't have the safety strap...got a new strap when I ordered the bigger bag from Wolfman.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Back Marker

nova_scotian_996 is on a distinguished road
I have a Joe Rocket bag that is kinda a 3 in one kinda bag.

1)Magnetic pad that has a map pocket on the top...and then that zippers onto

2)A large compartment big enough for a pair of shoes etc which zippers onto

3)Another large compartment with a map pocket on top. It fits on the Hawk nice, I couldnt kind it anywhere as I think it is an older Rocket model, but Im super happy with it. Holds a tonne of stuff and is real comfy to lay on the longer rides. The map pocket is big enough to put ur cell phone in or an MP3 player. The plastic is soft enough to work those devices while riding..

One of my best purchases for the Hawk. Its so big, I have a brand new Oxford tail bag with the tags still on it!!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Squid

thedawk is on a distinguished road
I have an older Joe Rocket mag tank bag that has been great for me over the years. It always stays put and holds just about anything I need to take along with me, including a 6 foot cable lock. It doesn't have any external pockets but does have the map pocket on top. I don't think they make this particular bag anymore, but when I replace this one I will check out Joe Rocket again.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
My Tourmaster magnetic bag has withstood loads of abuse over the last 10yrs and still works fine. Map pocket, expandable, and holds on tight. I highly recommend it.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...tem=HEL_82-376
Old 06-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's the tank bag I'm using. It doesn't have a ton of space but is perfect for my uses

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...40933&po=933&c=
Old 06-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
I wish there was a do it all bag, but its best to get one or two different sizes in hindsight I think for everyday general use out of the motopak series luggage the 17 liter is best for everyday use. I have the 27 liter which literally has hauled an entire shopping day for two people at an outlet mall and is bigger than my normal daypack school bad. I'm happy with the motopak products. As with all tank bags, you have to wipe dirt off your tank and also wipe the magnets as they will attract any metallic dirt particles to prevent scratching the tank, the magnets although tiny are super strong and will not budge once attached.

I looked into the Icon Urban bag which looks fantastic, its a school bag/tank bag with nice shoulder straps. I'm a real big fan of Motopak, Icon, Marsee and Tourmaster thus far.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...QQcmdZViewItem

This is the one I have, only in all black. Cheap and functional.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have one I quite like, a bit big but it collapses to a reasonable size. I forget the brand though.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I've had good luck with Roadgear equipment. I've had their tankbag since '99.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Squid

gnapoleone is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 on the TourMaster bag. Mine is almost 10 years old, 3 bikes and not one scratch..... I was skeptical at first, niow I dont even think about it. It has almost become part of the ritual: helmet, gloves, jacket and tank bag.

PS just keep your tank reasonably clean, but you guys knew that already