Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Got LED Taillight and turn signal installed... pics...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Superstock

handkaudio is on a distinguished road
Got LED Taillight and turn signal installed... pics...

I got a smoke tinted one off ebay and got it in 4 days! Was really pleased. Has the red LEDs for light and breaks, and amber for the turn signals, and hyper white for the liscence plate. Took me about 15 minutes to install with no directions. Here are some pics let me know what you think....

Name:  100_0778.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  100_0777.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  118.1 KB

I also got the HID headlight in yesterday, and man did that made a difference last night riding!!

Last edited by handkaudio; 11-05-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 AM
SuperCock roster
Back Marker

codfish124 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks good
Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Hope you installed a relay for your HID, even thogh I don't condone HID kits as they cause glare over a HID projector retrofit. Main thing is the stock harness might fail over time because of the ramped amperage draw on start-up mode with the ballasts. One ballast can draw nearly three times as much amps as the stock halogen bulb did. Be careful. HID is a hobby/side business of mine.

Tail looks good. I thought about purchasing that unit but wasn't wanting to sacrifice maximum lighting visibility. I do like the smoked one better than the clear one in terms of looks!

Post up shots of your HIDs on against a wall tonight if you can. Try and use a tripod or something to set the camera on and use the timer so you'll get nice clear pictures sicne the exposure will take forever at night scenes. I played around with making my own H4 base from an old bulb and then trimmed it to fit snug on one of my D2S OEM HID bulbs. I threw it in the headlight housing. While it was brighter than stock, the beam pattern just wasn't smooth or evenly distributed enough for me. I will admit I'm a stickler for lighting and can be **** at times for my own projects.

Astro vans kick **** BTW!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Squid

thedarkknights is on a distinguished road
I got a set of clear ones off flea-bay last month.
Installed them, but haven't been out yet.

how do you put a photo up?!
tdk
Old 07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Squid

SuperMike is on a distinguished road
You are talking about the headlight? I installed a sylvania silverstar. Is that the same type that you are talking about? If so tell me about this relay. How hard is it to install one of those?

Originally Posted by haknslash
Hope you installed a relay for your HID, even thogh I don't condone HID kits as they cause glare over a HID projector retrofit. Main thing is the stock harness might fail over time because of the ramped amperage draw on start-up mode with the ballasts. One ballast can draw nearly three times as much amps as the stock halogen bulb did. Be careful. HID is a hobby/side business of mine.

Tail looks good. I thought about purchasing that unit but wasn't wanting to sacrifice maximum lighting visibility. I do like the smoked one better than the clear one in terms of looks!

Post up shots of your HIDs on against a wall tonight if you can. Try and use a tripod or something to set the camera on and use the timer so you'll get nice clear pictures sicne the exposure will take forever at night scenes. I played around with making my own H4 base from an old bulb and then trimmed it to fit snug on one of my D2S OEM HID bulbs. I threw it in the headlight housing. While it was brighter than stock, the beam pattern just wasn't smooth or evenly distributed enough for me. I will admit I'm a stickler for lighting and can be **** at times for my own projects.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Squid

Hey that looks great! Which store on ebay? can you post the cost and link?

Originally Posted by handkaudio
I got a smoke tinted one off ebay and got it in 4 days! Was really pleased. Has the red LEDs for light and breaks, and amber for the turn signals, and hyper white for the liscence plate. Took me about 15 minutes to install with no directions. Here are some pics let me know what you think....

I also got the HID headlight in yesterday, and man did that make a difference last night riding!!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Superstock

I got the taillight for x3 racing...

http://stores.ebay.com/X3Racing

Paid 67 bucks shipped with priority shipping. Now I gotta sell my clear tail light and fender eliminator kit.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Superstock

I did not install a relay, I actually thought about it. But what I did do, was run power off my dims, then I leave my brights on all the time, because the headlight I got is a dim only HID. So I only turn it on when its dark out. and I dont ride at night much. So the HID headlight rarely will get use. But I took it out last night and I just couldnt believe the difference, its bright than any car I have ever seen and I only have one bulb on!

And also, the Astro, I do stereo comps. The Astro is for something they call bass race, van houses 12. 12" woofers, took 2nd place in last years world finals. Here is a pic for ya....

Name:  box012.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  74.3 KB
Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Superstock

Also the build is slightly different now, thats just pics of when we were fitting stuff in there and what not, so its different and way more tuned now. But it gets loud
Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by SuperMike
You are talking about the headlight? I installed a sylvania silverstar. Is that the same type that you are talking about? If so tell me about this relay. How hard is it to install one of those?
On this, I dont think you have an HID headlight with a ballast? Was it just a pull the stock bulb out and plug the Silverstar back in? if so then this doesnt pertain to your headlight.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:15 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Ah yeah I forgot you did the car stereo comps. I'm a old rusty veteran installer myself

Yeah not a bad idea for you to wire them up. Just be mindful that the ballast generates this ramp in current until the salts quite changing colors on warm-up, then it goes into low safe amperage. We see alot of guys burn up wiring, connectors, and MFS systems all from not using a relay. Simple addition to keep you safe

Take some pics of the lights whenever you got some free time. What kelvin did you go with?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Superstock

Ah yeah I forgot you did the car stereo comps. I'm a old rusty veteran installer myself

Yeah not a bad idea for you to wire them up. Just be mindful that the ballast generates this ramp in current until the salts quite changing colors on warm-up, then it goes into low safe amperage. We see alot of guys burn up wiring, connectors, and MFS systems all from not using a relay. Simple addition to keep you safe

Take some pics of the lights whenever you got some free time. What kelvin did you go with?
I will try to take some pics for ya, might be later this weekend or even first of next week. See how things go. I still might add that relay, I decided against cuz I get lazy on my own stuff sometimes, but you talked me into doing it now, LOL.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Squid

Yeha I just switched out the bulbs. The silverstar is an amazingly bright light so I am glad that I do not need to add a relay.

On this, I dont think you have an HID headlight with a ballast? Was it just a pull the stock bulb out and plug the Silverstar back in? if so then this doesnt pertain to your headlight.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Squid

Is it LED with turnsignals or just a clear incandescent?

I got the taillight for x3 racing...

http://stores.ebay.com/X3Racing

Paid 67 bucks shipped with priority shipping. Now I gotta sell my clear tail light and fender eliminator kit.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Superstock

Is it LED with turnsignals or just a clear incandescent?
Its a taillight that has full LED's, half lights up amber when you turn your turn signal on. and has the white LEDs at the bottom pointing down for the liscence plate, I will get some pics and vids tonight hopefully. Its pretty sweet, I love it, and I love the clean look on the back, just sooo much I want to do to the hawk, just not enough time in the day! lol
Old 07-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Squid

Its a taillight that has full LED's, half lights up amber when you turn your turn signal on. and has the white LEDs at the bottom pointing down for the liscence plate, I will get some pics and vids tonight hopefully. Its pretty sweet, I love it, and I love the clean look on the back, just sooo much I want to do to the hawk, just not enough time in the day! lol
That sounds great! What about the one you want to sell? Is it LED or stock?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Superstock

That sounds great! What about the one you want to sell? Is it LED or stock?
LED let me some pics....
Old 07-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Superstock

Pics of the taillight I took off, this was on the bike for maybe 3k miles max.

Name:  100_0779.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  100_0780.jpg
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  100_0781.jpg
Size:  54.5 KB

Also have the fender eliminator kit I took off.....

Name:  100_0782.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  56.2 KB
Old 07-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Squid

What are you asking for them? Those are front turnsignals? and integrated tail light and rear turns right?

Pics of the taillight I took off, this was on the bike for maybe 3k miles max.

Also have the fender eliminator kit I took off.....

Old 07-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Superstock

The taillight is red only and has the normal fuctions of stock, no turn signals built in. And the bottom pic is the rear fender eliminator I had, rear bracket for the liscence plate and rear turn signals. Here is a pic of it on my bike....

Name:  100_0773.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  112.1 KB

I am asking 45 shipped for the taillight. not sure on the turn signals and bracket yet, have not thought about it. Make me an offer though? Thanks!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Squid

The taillight is red only and has the normal fuctions of stock, no turn signals built in. And the bottom pic is the rear fender eliminator I had, rear bracket for the liscence plate and rear turn signals. Here is a pic of it on my bike....

I am asking 45 shipped for the taillight. not sure on the turn signals and bracket yet, have not thought about it. Make me an offer though? Thanks!
It looks good but i really want to get an integrated model. From what I have seen that is not a bad price though!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Superstock

It looks good but i really want to get an integrated model. From what I have seen that is not a bad price though!
I agree! I went with the integrated model, lol
Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I agree! I went with the integrated model, lol
You'll never get it sold with that kinda' sales pitch!
Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Superstock

True, but someone will want it and its cheaper than the integrated model!