Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Factory Honda paint??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Factory Honda paint??

Were can I get it for a good price??

I am looking at options on painting my bike...
Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Napa or Carquest paint stores will be able to match it for you with no problem... and cheaper than ordering it...

what are you painting??????
Old 03-13-2008, 06:01 PM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
I am contemplating painting the whole thing, or just the rear and a front fairing. The PO laid it down and scratched the rear a little and a few pieces do not match up just right.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:04 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Don't forget that the only part that is painted on the bike is the tank, everything else is molded-in color. Painting those parts never turns out well or looks right, in my opinion. For the cost/time/results I'd say you are better off buying new plastics from Honda, they aren't as salty as other models.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Superstock

mikecronis
ColorRite is the only way to go.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Don't forget that the only part that is painted on the bike is the tank, everything else is molded-in color. Painting those parts never turns out well or looks right, in my opinion. For the cost/time/results I'd say you are better off buying new plastics from Honda, they aren't as salty as other models.
Just going through some old posts and found this. All the plastic is painted. The plastic on my 98 is molded then painted red. Just crack or scratch it. I ordered a new left side from honda and it came through with a shitty paint job so I sent it back and got a new one.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Squid

eugeneutopia is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikecronis
ColorRite is the only way to go.
+1

Color Rite is great. color-rite.com
Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
ColorRite is great paint. Just finished painting a lower and hugger. Went on easy and looks great. It is a urethane based paint so no flex additive is needed. Dries very smooth. You can see the clear when it goes on, it hits the color coat and goes glass smooth. I was very impressed with the paint. You won't find a closer color match that you can do yourself.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by rbrais
Just going through some old posts and found this. All the plastic is painted. The plastic on my 98 is molded then painted red. Just crack or scratch it. I ordered a new left side from honda and it came through with a shitty paint job so I sent it back and got a new one.
Nope, not paint. The molded-in color process uses a thin film that is put into the mold before the plastic (ABS in this case) is injected in. The panel comes out of the mold with the color already on the outside, no painting involved.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Squid

Antibum88 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eugeneutopia
+1

Color Rite is great. color-rite.com
Color rite worked wonders for me too. Very satisfied. If you're a do-it-yourselfer and you don't have a spray-gun (like me) - you can order aerosol cans.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Squid

supertrooper is on a distinguished road
Nope, not paint. The molded-in color process uses a thin film that is put into the mold before the plastic (ABS in this case) is injected in. The panel comes out of the mold with the color already on the outside, no painting involved.

SH fairings are painted. "molded-in" would mean the plastic is colored all the way through and the SH plastic is not. the prosess you described is more like a gelcoat but that is used for fiberglass parts not injection molding. the color coat on a SH is to thin to be gelcoated and molded-in color plastic dosent have high gloss like paint.

im not trying to come off like an *** but im 100% sure SH fairings are all painted.

Last edited by supertrooper; 05-14-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by supertrooper
im not trying to come off like an *** but im 100% sure SH fairings are all painted.
Sorry man, they aren't painted. They ARE molded-in color. Do some research and you'll find this out for yourself.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Squid

BenjaminVFR750 is on a distinguished road
Sherwin williams

Dude no lie I walked out of SW about two hours ago and they matched my code

on the frame is says r-157 but after research and looking atmy VFR's which are R-157 the colors are a bit diffrent the Superhawk (mines an 02) was matched perfectly to "Winning RED Honda 02" r258/157"

80$ for two quarts and reducer!!! Deal!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
When I stripped red and yellow fairings a few years back I found that the red had two colors of primer and the yellow only had one, or something along those lines. If they're color molded how do they get that primer color molded in there too?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Here it is - Post #29...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...st+color+paint
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Squid

supertrooper is on a distinguished road
Sorry man, they aren't painted. They ARE molded-in color. Do some research and you'll find this out for yourself.
i know from experiance. when i had my bike rejetted the shop cilpped the tail on something and took off a chunk of plastic. the plastic was black under the paint. if it was molded in it would be red all the way through.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by supertrooper
i know from experiance. when i had my bike rejetted the shop cilpped the tail on something and took off a chunk of plastic. the plastic was black under the paint. if it was molded in it would be red all the way through.
Dude: the color, which is molded-in, is only on the outside of the panel. As I suggested before, do your research and you'll find out for yourself.

...out...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Point of clarification here.... which may or may not extend this arguement... since I have some knowledge of the things being mentioned here....

I believe (and it's just my take from reading the posts) that Jamie is stating that the color is molded "onto" the part in a process called/similar to "In-Mold" decoration.... it's common practice in the manufacturing of products where you lay a very thin sheet of plastic film into the injection mold (held by vaccum) and then inject the plastic for the part behind it. It forms a part with the color/graphics that were printed on the film/sheet integrated into the part. You'll find this on cell phones (like the camoflage or decroative faceplates), and alot of other items similar in construction. It's a good way to add patterns and multi colors to parts without painting and masking. It's probably a bit more relaible color wise, as there shuoldn't be as much variance between the color in patches and parts as if you were mixing pigment into the plastic.

NOW... with that being said, in most cases, it's only on one side of the part, which means the backside of our panels should be black, as they are black ABS... unless they are laying two sheets of color in the mold, and injecting between them. I doubt that is happening as on a very complex shapes like our fairings, there may be some limitation to how much contour you can have, and not rip or stretch the film too much... which I beleive on the outside of our fairing is probably not a problem, but I can't see how they can "In-mold" decorate the inside over the bosses and rib features... these features would eliminate that process from being used.

So... my assumption... maybe the outside of the part is in-mold decorated, and they just lightly spray the inside to match... or they are painted both sides.

Continue fighting...

J.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

How does that explain the other color which appears to be primer under the black and red colors?