Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Ebay HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Ebay HID kit

Since the stock lighting just wasn't doing it for me (really noticeable after driving my car with HIDs) I picked up a HID conversion kit for the Hawk off Ebay. "Forward Motion" sells them, and they seem to be somewhat bike specific (seems based off your current bulb size / voltage).

Looks easy enought to install, and is suppose to be 3x brighter then stock, but focused as so not to blind people It has two complete setups in the box which is interesting. My Subaru seems to have regular bulbs for the high beams, tempted to try the same setup on the Hawk.

Not sure both would fit and the harness could handle the draw of two at the same time anyway! I'll get some pics when I get the install going.

They're made with "German Technology" as the label proudly states, and is in the manual several times. Couple that with my Italian wheels on my Japanese bike and I have some kinda Axis theme going on here
Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Just don`t compromise it with anything Italian.... lol
Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
i'm interested to do this also...i'd like to buy a "kit" though would like to see a finished installed product!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdbuehler

They're made with "German Technology" as the label proudly states, and is in the manual several times. Couple that with my Italian wheels on my Japanese bike and I have some kinda Axis theme going on here

LOL
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Can I ask what you had to give for it $ wise.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Squid

VTR steve is on a distinguished road
I used to have one of these kits in my Vtr and allthough it gave off a lot of light the light was not always where it should be. The cut off was pretty non existent and found that i was dazzling oncoming drivers. A much better option is a retro fit using a bi-xenon unit or a halogen upgrade. The reflector in the Vtr was just not designed for hid.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
IMO if you're dazzling drivers you've accomplished making sure your seen.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Squid

But if the driver is dazzled he cannot see and then hits what he cannot see. Had a very near miss with my hid kit hence the reason i went bi xenon retro fit. Be careful with these kits last thing you need is an oncoming driver on your side of the road because you dazzled him.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
They're $109 from these folks:

http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/h...-hid-kit-p-195

Thats the one I have. Both bulbs have a low-high in them, so I guess these are Bi-Xenons then? Makes sense now, its a car kit so you apparently get two

I went with the 4300k which is suppose to be the "normal" type / color of light.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:56 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdbuehler
They're $109 from these folks:

http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/h...-hid-kit-p-195

Thats the one I have. Both bulbs have a low-high in them, so I guess these are Bi-Xenons then? Makes sense now, its a car kit so you apparently get two

I went with the 4300k which is suppose to be the "normal" type / color of light.
Nope, those are two bulbs, one for low, one for high.. so you will lose the high beam when you do the install. Other bikes like a Ninja 636 that has separate bulbs for HID would work perfect with this kit.

To get high beam with a HID you need a solenoid, or a 2nd bulb.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
I see now, thanks! The manual is a bit confusing as they list each bulb as a low/high. I live in the city, so my high beam is never used. I'll give it a go with just the low. I've got the bike spread all over the garage, so the install should be easy enough!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:37 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
you bought a car one? because a bike one would have only come with 1 bulb since there's 1 headlight.... so what are you gonna do with the other bulb/ballast?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I'll preface this: Do as you please.

Bases on info from a knowledgable source, these types of kits are ILLEGAL. Buyer beware.

Here are his reference links:

The law, directly from NHTSA:

http://tinyurl.com/yleezx

http://209.70.212.67/Documents/Evt_Presentations/VRTWorkshop01/evtFedEnforcementofMotorVehicleLightingStandards.p pt

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html

http://calcoast-itl.com/assets/NHTSA%20Interpretation%20HID%20Conversion%20NOV02. html

And here is *why* they are illegal:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
I ended up going with one of these http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=61&pg=1 for 45 that has a life time warranty, comes with a bulb, and got the bulb type that fits the HID retrofit that i did.

Works great
Old 03-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Interesting article, I'll see what kind of results I get when the bike is back together. It looks like all there is to installing it is swaping the bulbs out and mounting the balast.

If I get the kit working with just the lowbeam, you'll be seeing the other one for cheap in the classifieds. Looking at the box they do have a kit with Hi and Low, but this isn't that kit. For my needs, its perfectly fine, but if I still lived in rural WA I'd want that high beam for sure!

edit: Just looked at yruyur's link, those kits look better then mine lol!

Last edited by mdbuehler; 03-18-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Squid

Right cannot really tell from the pic but that does not look like a H4 kit. This means that the bulb will not fit into a vtr headlight. If you must fit one of these kits then you need to get a H4 Hi/Lo kit and use one bulb, one ballast and then fit the wiring harness that allows you to switch between hi and lo beam. If you can get the bulb to fit it will give really poor performance because not only is the vtr headlight not designed for hid it will also have the wrong bulb fitted this could result in the headlight being melted. Don't want to be sounding off here but these hid kits are a really bad idea wont be long before someone has a bad accident and it will be the result of one of these kits blinding someone. Take care and please think of the other people on the road aswell.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
I would not put any stock in the marketing ploy of "german technology". Basically what they mean is they shaped the exterior of the ballast to mimmick a Philips LVQ-212/Hella Gen3 ballast. Inside its still a Asian knock-off using sub-par components. i won't get into the con's of such an install on the VTR stock headlight. There is enough info here and on hidplanet to explain why. When i first got the VTR I made a H4 ring of the stock headlight bulb mate up with a P32D base of a D2S OEM HID bulb. Once I got the focal point about as good as it could be, it still wasn't sufficient enough light IMHO, not to mention it did have some glare issues. You can make a casper shield to help reduce some of the glare by cutting a turkey baster, or you could buy one from casper electronics if they still sell them. Even then you're still left with the beam pattern not being uniform, which drives me nuts but I may be more **** than most when it comes to HID.

Last edited by haknslash; 03-19-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Finally got enough of the front end together to give these a go.

Install is very quick, just swap out the bulb, run the wiring back to where you mounted the ballast (behind my gauges) then plug the power leads into the old headlight power plug. I have mine set to the high beam, so I have an indicator when its on, and can leave it off when starting the bike.

Quick test in the garage, with a flick of the high switch they fire up with the high pitch buzz (old tv sound) for a few seconds and are at full power with 5 or so. Beam pattern looks pretty much the same to me, but definately a lot brighter! Shooting it at the garage door it seems focused enough, no beams of light shooting off in random directions to blind people.

Soon as its rolling I'll get it out front of the house at night and get some pics! For the price it looks like a good deal so far!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i wanna know about this. i'm looking at a kit for my rc51 on a local forum. i want to buy right away but i'm not 100% sure it's gonna work properly. for example, my headlight fuse is 20A and the in rush on th ekit is 20A. so, i'm not sure what to do.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:16 PM
SuperBike

i bought the kit. neighbor installed it. it seems to be working ok. time will prove it's reliability or unreliability! haven't ridder at night so no report on the lighting effectiveness.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Mine has several hundred miles on it, and so far so good! I've only forgotten to turn it on once
Old 04-11-2009, 06:05 PM
SuperBike

it's dark out and i took the bike around the block. my initial impression is that it's an improvement.

my rc51 has two h7s. one is low beam and the other is high beam. my high beam won't turn off and back on after a car passes. it seems like the ballast has to cool off or something. thoughts anyone?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Squid

godsmk is on a distinguished road
should I use this kit my son is in Afghanistan, and just had this mailed home and now he wants me to install it, is there just a better bulb I just can change because he will need both low/high beam working to get his inspection sticker it's the same kit as posted above thanks for your help..
Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
The way the kit installs, reverting back to the stock bulb to pass an inspection would be very easy. The kit gets its power from the stock bulb plug, with no modification, so simply unplugging the kit, putting the old bulb back in, then plugging the stock connector back into the stock bulb puts you right back to stock. Should take less then 5 min (if you have small hands ).

I'll be keeping a stock bulb under my seat for my night riding on the off chance there's a failure (as I'll have no high beam to fall back on).
Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
SuperBike

yup, it would be two minutes to revert back to stock. then another two minutes to revert back to hid. simple simple simple.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:40 PM
SuperSport

If anyone is going to upgrade their lights please use a projector. They were designed to focus the light of the output in a specific pattern. Just last night I was having to explain to my wife the reason we were being blinding by an oncoming car is because the dumb *** bought a drop in kit and put it in his car so he could see better. Of course this driver has no respect for others on the road and in fact is going to possibly cause an accident.

As you can see from this pic from Anto's HID retrofit the cutoff is extremely clean. It has a notch in the middle and is slanted lower on the left just for the purpose of not blinding oncoming cars.

So one of these kits will be fine as long as you use a projector with it. If you get a Bi-Xenon projector then you have a nice cutoff and you still have highbeams. The projectors actually have a plate that covers up half the beam then when you switch your high beams on a solenoid lifts the plate up to allow all the light to be projected.

Not to thread jack but my thread here shows my retrofit I did but it has comparison pictures of another bike that is using an after market non HID bulb. I think there is a link in that thread to most the parts i used to do the same.
Attached Thumbnails Ebay HID kit-img_3631.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
SuperSport

oh yeah, and when these non projector kits say bixenon they are accomplishing this by having a solenoid that usually move the buld forward and back which to change the focus on beam, but remember the stock reflectors of vehicles were not designed to focus light this way thus light just spilling out everywhere. Hope that helps
Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM
SuperBike

my rc51 kit was a drop in and i'd say it's beam pattern is satisfactory. i did not repoint the lights either. here are some pics along side my hawk.

maybe i'm a dumbass? hahahahaha, just kidding!
Attached Thumbnails Ebay HID kit-100_1154.jpg   Ebay HID kit-100_1153.jpg   Ebay HID kit-100_1152.jpg   Ebay HID kit-100_1149.jpg