Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Danmoto rearsets

Old 01-25-2014, 06:07 AM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
Danmoto rearsets

Anyone that has them i'm looking for yur expierence. So I just installed mine last night and all is well and they look great. Can't ride right now with all the snow and ice on the ground, but not real thirlled the rear brake lever doesn't have a return spring. It at least sitting up on a stand seem like its going to return real easy? When pressed down it seems to stay there? Does your rear brake drag all the time or do you manually put the brake back up with your foot? Almost thinking now the rear brake is useless? Anyone add a return spring and where?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
I'm wondering the same thing seeing as I ordered a set the other day. I bought them knowing this among a few other minor flaws would have to be sorted out. Hopefully some one has done it
Old 01-25-2014, 12:08 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I don't have a return spring and to date no problem.

The rear brake on my bike has always bean useless no matter what I do compared to other bikes I've had.

I must admit that I check to make sure that it has fully returned whilst riding.

Someone on one of the forums has fitted a spring I'm sure.

Hope you have loc tighted everything!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
it wasn't that long ago there was a very good writeup about it. quick search for danmoto rearsets and it was the third result

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...nea-pig-30879/
Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by insulinboy View Post
it wasn't that long ago there was a very good writeup about it. quick search for danmoto rearsets and it was the third result

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...nea-pig-30879/
But there isn't anything in there about a return spring mod on them.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey View Post
But it addresses the Ops initial question about the install

Edit: oh and on the second page he says his brake wasn't fully returning but linked it to the master needing to be rebuilt, on the third page he mentioned that he did install a spring for a brake return

Last edited by insulinboy; 01-26-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 AM
Back Marker

OK hopefully problem solved. I took the original brake switch return spring and connected it to the brake lever. Seems to return really well. It may keep brake light on though. Haven't tested that yet, but since my brake light never worked off rear brake anyway I am assuming the switch is bad anyway witch doesn't bother me cuz I always use the front when braking anyway. Had same problem on my 900RR.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Appletonhawk View Post
OK hopefully problem solved. I took the original brake switch return spring and connected it to the brake lever. Seems to return really well. It may keep brake light on though. Haven't tested that yet, but since my brake light never worked off rear brake anyway I am assuming the switch is bad anyway witch doesn't bother me cuz I always use the front when braking anyway. Had same problem on my 900RR.
pictures?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Back Marker

pictures?

I can try to get one, but probably not till the weekend when I get the bike back out of its winter resting place again. Might be tough to see to now that its all mounted to bike. Be patient, but I will try to take some.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM
SuperSport

Cool. Just wanna see how u rigged it up cuz I'm gonna rig one up too
Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Back Marker

Cool. Just wanna see how u rigged it up cuz I'm gonna rig one up too
Well not really much of a rig. Your switch mounts to the rearset and there is a hole in the bottom of your rear brake lever so I hooked the spring from the switch to the lever which allows the lever to return. On the factory set-up there is a spring on your switch which I assume is suppose to activate the brake light. My brake light never worked from the rear brake lever anyway so I just used that as a mounting point for the spring which happens to be just the right distance away from the lever to allow the factory spring to work. The Danmoto rearsets came with a spring which did nothing at all so I didn't use it. Of course like I mentioned before this may cause your brake light to stay on all the time if your switch is good, but mine doesn't work so all is good. You could just disconnect the wires going to the switch for the same effect. Most people always use front brake more anyway so the rear brake light switch is overkill anyway and not even needed in my opinion. Also as I haven't been able to actually ride the bike yet I am not totally sure this is going to be a permanant fix, but seems to work from what I can tell.

Last edited by Appletonhawk; 01-27-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Back Marker

On another note about the rearsets I am not totally convinced I am going to like them yet, but need to try adjusting them yet. I am pretty tall at 6'3" and they almost seem to be to high now making my legs uncomfortable on the tank so I need to see if I can lower them a little more yet. The factory position was actually good for someone my height, but I wanted them for more of a custom look than anything because I don't like the way the factory ones look so old school.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:37 PM
SuperSport

im wanting to go as far back an up as possible. im 5'11" but i need the extra ground clearance. the stock pegs seemed like a factory compromise between sporty and comfortable. im going for aggressive not comfort. i do commute on my bike but comfort isnt a concern for me as most of my time is spent in the canyons
Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

im wanting to go as far back an up as possible. im 5'11" but i need the extra ground clearance. the stock pegs seemed like a factory compromise between sporty and comfortable. im going for aggressive not comfort. i do commute on my bike but comfort isnt a concern for me as most of my time is spent in the canyons
I have always felt like I need to be comfortable to be more in control. I have a few friends that race in the ametuer ranks and also have spent enough time with Jason Farrel who has raced in AMA to know that to be fast you need to be comfortable on the bike so I am always looking for the best of both worlds. I always felt super comfortable on my 900RR and honestly would love to have another one, but the sound of the V-twin has always been to my liking and feel like a 900RR sounds like a bike a kid should be riding and at almost 40 years old just not my style anymore so I guess I am looking to feel like I am riding my 900 while hearing the sweet sound of the V-twin. I wuld love to take a 900RR frame and stuff my engine it! That would be heaven!!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road

Thats because I was never able to find a good spot to mount a spring heavy enough to retun the brake all the way and have since gotten used to pulling the brake up with my toe.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 AM
SuperSport

Also, with these and being 6'2" I did not like the all the way back position, they were too low for me still, and the ground clearance wasn't there. I went up all the way and forward to the second position, this has seemed to be the best riding position for ground clearance, concidering I was able to drag the clutch cover and my belly fairing in a turn before my sets hit, or my knee since I was in a bad position.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by sailorjerry View Post
Thats because I was never able to find a good spot to mount a spring heavy enough to retun the brake all the way and have since gotten used to pulling the brake up with my toe.
Pulling the brake up with my foot will not be an option for me. I'll have to fab something up to mount a spring. I use a lot of rear brake. I know a lot of people don't use it at all but I deffinatley do. Coming into a turn while downshifting I get on the rear brake and I won't have time to pull it up at the last minute before diving into a turn. So some fab work will have to sort the issue out
Old 01-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Back Marker

Pulling the brake up with my foot will not be an option for me. I'll have to fab something up to mount a spring. I use a lot of rear brake. I know a lot of people don't use it at all but I deffinatley do. Coming into a turn while downshifting I get on the rear brake and I won't have time to pull it up at the last minute before diving into a turn. So some fab work will have to sort the issue out
No need to fab. My rearsets had a hole in just the right spot to mount the spring and attach to rear brake switch like I said. I'll see if I can get a pic tonight, but shes flipping cold out there so not to thrilled to go out to garage for very long.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Appletonhawk View Post
No need to fab. My rearsets had a hole in just the right spot to mount the spring and attach to rear brake switch like I said. I'll see if I can get a pic tonight, but shes flipping cold out there so not to thrilled to go out to garage for very long.

There is a hole in my rear set as well that was close to the right position but it doesnt allow the spring to have enough tension to fully return the brake pedal to the point where the brake doesnt drag. I even tried carb springs and they just dont have enough tensionto return the brake. After riding for two months with out it I realized that it didn't bug me any to have to pull it up with my foot, it kind of became second nature, and it doesnt hinder me entering a corner the least bit, but pics of the set up you are using would be great.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Back Marker

Sorry guys. I will get a pic of it soon hopefully. Its been -20 to -50 with the winds here and needless to say the garage is a little cold right now. I only run the heat out there when I know I will be out there a while otherwise its just a waste. The bike is in the corner and the brake side is against the wall so I need to move it to get you a good pic. I'll try soon.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 PM
SuperSport

AppletonHawk, did your rear sets come with the 6mm spacers and longer mounting bolts? i noticed that sailorJerry had the same problem not receiving all the spacers so im wondering if your kit came with them, or did you mount it up without them, or did u have to email them to get the spacers and longer bolts?

im a little pissed because in the comments section at checkout i asked them to MAKE SURE the spacers and bolts were included and i did not receive them in the box.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:56 AM
Back Marker

AppletonHawk, did your rear sets come with the 6mm spacers and longer mounting bolts? i noticed that sailorJerry had the same problem not receiving all the spacers so im wondering if your kit came with them, or did you mount it up without them, or did u have to email them to get the spacers and longer bolts?

im a little pissed because in the comments section at checkout i asked them to MAKE SURE the spacers and bolts were included and i did not receive them in the box.

Yes mine came with all the spacers and bolts needed to mount them correctly. No issues.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 AM
SuperSport

Are the spacers just nuts? Like are they threaded?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 AM
SuperSport

Are the spacers just nuts? Like are they threaded?

No they are not nuts, they they look like 6mm thick washers. When I first got mine they forgot them too, so I just bought a bag of flat washers and used a Mic to figure out which ones were the closest in size and used 3 on each bolt to space it out to 6mm, till the correct spacers came in.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by sailorjerry View Post
No they are not nuts, they they look like 6mm thick washers. When I first got mine they forgot them too, so I just bought a bag of flat washers and used a Mic to figure out which ones were the closest in size and used 3 on each bolt to space it out to 6mm, till the correct spacers came in.
Thanks. The benefit of working at a hardware store is that I'm able to get crafty for cheap
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
SuperSport

do you have to pull out the swing ar bolt to change the rear sets? im doing the swap now but am confused
Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Yes you do, also be aware that if your master cylinder is in good working order and adjusted correctly you won't have a problem.

Even though I have checked mine a thousand times I still sometimes check it when I am riding.

I think it's called OCD, and now I have it because of my rearsets.