Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

From Blue to Black w/upgrades.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Squid

ohiophotog is on a distinguished road
From Blue to Black w/upgrades.........

Starting my winter project on my Hawk, every few years I change the bodywork on the bike, this time I'm doing that with some upgrades. I bought the bike back in '01 from the dealership I work at with '98 red bodywork, sold that for the '00 yellow, sold that for '03 blue, now I'm going with the '99 black w/red graphics.

Plan is:
Braided brake & clutch lines

Adjustable levers

Koso DB-02R dash w/indicator kit
http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/fCMS...s/ba022w10.jpg

Sargent Seat

Carrozzeria gloss black wheels if I have enough cash......

http://www.motoworldonline.com/Carro...rs_p_1896.html

Carb clean, radiator flush, oil change.....

Here it is now minus the autobot logo on the tail with 56,000 miles.......more pics coming.......

Old 12-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
That dash setup is badass. Let us know how that works out as you install it.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I would love to swap everything and have a blue hawk. Looks awesome. maybe some day...

Those wheels are gorgeous!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
I'm paying attention to the Koso updates. I want to install the RX-2 GP style speedometer, but I'm sure how the back part of the speedometer is going to look. The OEM dash has a perfect mold for it's dash (of course). Just wondering if the Koso is going to look clean.

Good luck Ohio!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
the koso's have a cleanish looking albeit nothing special back plate/piece
Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
I bet the company selling those Carrozzeria wheels has screwed up on the fitment.

RC-51 is a 6" rear, VTR is a 5.5"

And the rotor spacing isn't the same.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Street Bikes at Trail Tech Home

If you haven't yet, take a look at Trail Tech. Gotta plug the local boys.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Squid

I will definitely keep everyone posted on the dash install, I'm excited for that more than anything. I ordered it with all the needed thermo and speed sensor attachments, also Koso was able to put my mileage on the dash. They told me it would take 10 days to put 56,000 on it with the machine they have, I told them to ship it once it was done. Taking measurements, the new dash with the indicator panel that goes over it is about 2" smaller per side compared to the stock dash. I know I will have to fab up a bracket for the stock dash bracket.

So far the valves have been checked, levers installed, braided clutch line ran. I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs, I ended up replacing some of the fuel lines with some nice braided ones we had. Replaced the carb/cylinder boots and bands as the old ones were worn badly.

matt365, thanks for the info on the wheels, I will most likely get them from the company Forged-Wheel.com. I talked to them and they can do a set for the VTR, I would have to get wave rotors and different rear sprocket...

Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by ohiophotog

matt365, thanks for the info on the wheels, I will most likely get them from the company Forged-Wheel.com. I talked to them and they can do a set for the VTR, I would have to get wave rotors and different rear sprocket...

No sweat. Going straight to the source for the wheels sounds like a good idea anyways. Lots of $$$, but sure are nice.

Keep us posted on the project, looking good so far!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Squid

Dash came today, really slick unit!!! The guys at Koso are great to deal with and fast shipping from Canada, mileage is exact to my oem unit. It is quite a bit smaller in size than factory dash, I'll have to fab up something around it. Fit and finish is top notch, it came with the temp/water plugs, active speed sensor, harnesses, and mount. The bar tach is adjustable from 10k, 15K, or 20K. Only things extra I had to order was the correct thread temp sensor and the fork L-bracket for the active speed sensor.

The indicator panel slides over the gauge nicely, locks in from the back, has 2 harnesses, one per side, 5-wires each sharing a common ground for each one. Also there is a bag of indicator lights to customize what you need (oil, fuel, turn signal, hazard, ect.) Hoping to get it wiring up and running within a day or 2. So far got the carbs, airbox, and front braided brake lines ran.......

Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM
SuperSport

That's slick. Tiny compared with the stock gauges. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Squid

Thanks! So far I have it mounted with the tach, battery, switched, and ground wired up. Found out I have pinhole coolant leak on the rear cylinder hose, not looking forward to pulling the airbox and carbs off to replace it......

Can't figure out how to embed videos, link below......

Koso DB-02R test on SuperHawk - YouTube
Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Squid

Replaced the coolant hose, put the carbs & airbox back together, no leaks! Looking at the coolant temp readout, I was getting worried when it showed 210 and the fan wasn't kicking on, however I did some searching on here and found that 215-225 was the temp that it comes on. My only issue is that the clock is in military time.

The indicator panel is all wired up with left side (12V+) with turn signals and high beam, the right side (12V-) has the oil, neutral, and side stand (hazard) lights. The remaining 2 slots are fill with the blank black indicators. Tach wire hooks directly up to the yellow/black wire in the dash with no messing with the coils, checked it with a electrical/mechanical rpm shop gauge, spot on. There is an adjustment in the dash menu to get it to read it correctly. From the pictures you can see I had to grind part of the fairing stay to get the mount on the bar.

With these helpful threads on here:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...cluster-18240/

Are all VTR gas tank identical?? - SuperHawk Forum

I was able to get the fuel indicator on the dash working, ordered a '01+ fuel sensor. The dash has one wire for fuel and that measures resistance, connected that to the black/brown wire that came out of the harness by itself and moved the sensor float up and down, the dash shows fuel in 10% increments from 0-100 (showing 50% in the picture), and you can set the low fuel level alarm. All thats left to do is mount the speed sensor and set it up.

Video and pics............reg/rec is from a '08 600RR

Koso DB-02R SuperHawk #2 - YouTube

Last edited by ohiophotog; 01-18-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Squid

About halfway through my project here, got the carbs synced, bike idles very nicely now. Had an air leak at the front carb/cylinder boot, tightened the clamps it went away. Pulled the header pipes off and bead blasted them, the aftermarket piping and exhaust are going to HMF to be re-sleeved and re-packed, along with new end caps. Was gonna get a rear brake line kit from Goodridge, it was cheaper to buy the line length I needed with the end joints..............

Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
SuperSport

Those pipes look like they've been through the ringer. Midpipe has a nice bit of rash on it too. I'd weigh the cost of the re-sleeve and repack compared to selling off yours & buying a new pair.

You could find a decent condition used set? Captainchaos has those Leo-Vince pipes?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Squid

Thanks Matt for the suggestion, talked with HMF, I can't beat the price they gave me for being a dealer to do both cans and clean/fix the midpipes. They will be 90% brand new when they are done with them.

We have a new '12 CBR1000RR in our showroom, the wheels look very identical to the Carrozzeria ones I want to buy. Unfortunately after taking measurements, the swap would be to costly needed a new front end from the CBR and custom bearing setup for the rear.......

Last edited by ohiophotog; 02-02-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM
SuperSport

Oh yeah, forgot you worked for a dealer. That CBR is mint.

I'd probably stick with your stock wheels anyways. Throw some money into suspension; springs and a nice shock.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Squid

I may just do that, the wheels I want with new rotors are going to be every bit of $2,400...... I found a few things to buy with that $$ instead.

Got the exhaust back from HMF, they decided the old mufflers were too bad to try to repair, so they made new mufflers. Now I have the old mufflers to get rid of and just installed the new ones!!! They did a kickass job cleaning up the mid-pipes......

Last edited by ohiophotog; 02-16-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Squid

Almost done! New bodywork is installed, new gauge works perfectly (only grudge is military time). I have to clean up some wiring behind the headlight area, and install the alarm. I made a lexan blank panel to take up the space the stock dash did, it came out ok, I'm gonna try and make it out of aluminum........

Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Man that thing looks sweet! How do you like that seat? That thing looks bad ***! I want one! Should have seen if they'd make you a set of high pipe mid pipes. I think that'd really make the bike look sweet!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Squid

Thanks! I pretty happy with how it turned out plus that fact that you don't see many Hawks around northeast Ohio. It's temporarily on the sales floor with a "please do not sit" sign on it, I'm using it to sell our race/work stands and hopefully a similar gauge setup.

I can't tell you about the seat, I literally installed it 2 days ago and put 10 miles on it going around the block, so far its stiff, still brand new. I thought about high-mounts but I need the rear pegs because I do have passengers from time to time........
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Squid

bebotam is on a distinguished road
Wow great job. I'm trying to install the same gauge unit and I'm having a hell of time getting neutral. I see you have the stock neutral (green with red tracer) connected. Did you have to connect any other wire to get it to light up as I'm guessing neutral is -tive.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by bebotam
Wow great job. I'm trying to install the same gauge unit and I'm having a hell of time getting neutral. I see you have the stock neutral (green with red tracer) connected. Did you have to connect any other wire to get it to light up as I'm guessing neutral is -tive.
Thanks! I will have to pull my fairing and take a look at the wiring, I know the wiring on the koso indicator panel is a little tricky the way they have it. I can pull it tomorrow and post some pics, hopefull that will help. I know the grounds for the stock gauges are mostly common and all over the place.

Last edited by ohiophotog; 05-16-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I think the neutral light has a separate positive and ground that goes through the light and then down to the neutral sensor on the engine and grounds there. So I don't think the common ground will work with that light. I can't confirm that because for some reason my computer all of a sudden decided it can't view the PDF shop manual link.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Squid

Here is a link to the color wiring diagram, this is what I used when I was hooking up the Koso.

http://www.elianthony.com/images/sh/shw.jpg
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Did you just get that seat from ebay? If so you beat my bid by $2.50. I get dib's on it if you change directions.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Squid

No, I bought the seat from a distributor. So far I love it.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM
SuperSport

Looks great Ohiophotog! I like the black with the red accents. Pretty much the same way I went with mine.

That a chinese E-bay windscreen?

I ordered one in the winter, arrived cracked in half, lol. It works though. I drilled along the sides of the crack and safety wired it, looks pretty frankenstein. I think its acrylic - pretty thick, and it doesn't like to bend.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Squid

Thanks Matt, I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. Funny thing is, the colors are pretty standard for Honda's sportbikes.

The windscreen is from a company called Moto Windscreen, picked up through Parts-Unlimited distributor.