Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

bi-xenon lamp fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually the tunnel does have an impact on cooling... The air is actually moving fom the inside of the radiator to the outside, since they are mounted in a slight V with the opening forward... The air goes in/up from the front and out the sides...
At speed the air can't move fast enough without it, making a low pressure area on the inlet side, and stopping the flow... So it's fed extra air through these tunnels to the top/inside and the system works at all speeds...

However, if you aren't completely blocking them, it's fine... I'm running with my HID ballast in there, keeping it cool...
Old 07-03-2011, 06:25 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
mine is largely blocked but not completely. we shall see.

before falling to sleep last night i was thinking about the headlight aim. i have nothing new to add but must say those reflectors, aiming screw, bulb design(halogen, we shall see about the hids), it all works very well together.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually the tunnel does have an impact on cooling... The air is actually moving fom the inside of the radiator to the outside, since they are mounted in a slight V with the opening forward... The air goes in/up from the front and out the sides...
At speed the air can't move fast enough without it, making a low pressure area on the inlet side, and stopping the flow... So it's fed extra air through these tunnels to the top/inside and the system works at all speeds...

However, if you aren't completely blocking them, it's fine... I'm running with my HID ballast in there, keeping it cool...
i was just staring down at the motor and thinking that i gave in too easily on the air-flow utility of those tunnels. mind-you, the carbs and airbox are pulled, but it still looks to me that the resultant air intake is pushing air into the inside cavity between the radiators and maybe also pushing some air onto the real cyl.

this is a round-about and somewhat vague way of saying what Tweety explains in an analytical, mechanical fashion :-)

once i get my bike running, i'm going to look for some really rad mod that will require me to block that flow (maybe a gigantic after-market Regulator/Rectifier...)

--fred
Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by fred
this is a round-about and somewhat vague way of saying what Tweety explains in an analytical, mechanical fashion :-)
tweety is good at explaing things. i am a member of many forums. of all the members of all the forums, tweedy is one of the few people take very seriously.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by finepooch
tweety is good at explaing things. i am a member of many forums. of all the members of all the forums, tweedy is one of the few people take very seriously.
yeah? and what about me?? fred with his vague and round-about analysis is not necessarily inferior to Tweety with his precise and straight-forward explanations! my approach adds a sense of adventure, excitement and uncertainty and getting lots of practice by doing things over.... you BN, you! :-)
Old 07-03-2011, 02:56 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by fred
yeah? and what about me?? fred with his vague and round-about analysis is not necessarily inferior to Tweety with his precise and straight-forward explanations! my approach adds a sense of adventure, excitement and uncertainty and getting lots of practice by doing things over.... you BN, you! :-)
hahaha you are #2
Old 07-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Aw geez... Somebody's taking me seriously... Now I gotta act proper and all that... Great, just ruin my fun will ya...

Old 07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
SuperBike

update:
after about 1000kms the bulb died. i ordered a dual kit so used the other bulb and i'm back in business, but not very impressed.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Squid

Kieran is on a distinguished road
Might be slightly off thread, but I saw pics of a firestorm with a pair of 55w spots shoehorned into those intake holes... Mustn't have affected the cooling too much...
Old 08-28-2011, 04:28 PM
haha yeah
Squid

intoxxx is on a distinguished road
take the time

take the time and do it right =]]

what is an HID bulb good for unless you have a lens off an Acura TL, other than blinding everyone you ride past?

pics below

Last edited by intoxxx; 08-29-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by intoxxx
take the time and do it right =]]

what is an HID bulb good for unless you have a lens off an Acura TL, other than blinding everyone you ride past?

what year acura tl,and do you have pics from start to finish,would like to see where you cut and such.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 PM
haha yeah
Squid

hahah it was a long month... first of all.. stock up on beer and dont plan on having friends over to your apartment... start by popping the top off the bolt trying to remove your detent arm... and special order a bolt from japan. sit there with your bike in the middle of your life and inbetween you and the tv nightly. then get fed up, get drunk, and get creative

after reading these forums and a couple others, i went with theretrofitsource.com

Bi-xenon: Acura TL / ZKW-R Lens - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc
the largest one.
but i had confidence i could fit it with the factory reflector so i can use the aiming screws

also make sure you get the ZKW-R lens..

Name:  P1010082-1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  70.6 KB

cut out for the high/low solenoid... snugg fit... make it straight too. mine ended up straighter. pic was first cut

Name:  P1010088-1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  55.9 KB

make sure you have ample time waiting for internal engine screws from japan after you snap off the head of the little detent arm bolt installing a factory pro evo shift star kit...... yeah 2 week shipping

Name:  P1010097-1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  135.5 KB

make sure your main hole is centered and using the dremmel sanding bit slowly make it larger

Name:  P1010087-1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  46.9 KB

get it seated so you have room for the shroud when reassembled

repaint your cover while you are waiting on JB Weld to dry once you have the HID seated.. lots of JB Weld on the tight fitting cut for the high/low solenoid and all around the base where you made the hole just right... yes thats a nickle. perfect size

Name:  P1010085-1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  50.0 KB

still waiting on engine bolt on the slow boat.. umm get creative and make a plexiglass insert to wire in a couple led's in the marker light

Name:  p1010108.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  43.4 KB

drink more beers after dremmeling your finger

get everything almost done and then realize you forgot to make room for the shroud E55-R - Projector Shrouds from The Retrofit Source Inc
so start cutting away at the insert inside of the headlamp

Name:  P1010126.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  75.2 KB

close it up. reseal the headlamp. wire it up. fire it up and open another beer. 2 if it doesnt work!

reuse the weather seal to eliminate moisture

Name:  B1010005.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  B1010009.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  18.6 KB

standing 2ft from blinds i think i woke up the neighbors...
also i needed to aim the lamp. easily done with the stock adjustment bolts.. 25 ft away from a wall 2.1" down from upclose on the wall..
also, when putting the cowl back on, the placement of the ballast under the guages didnt work out due to tight spacing, was a good idea when everything was appart. it ended up in the air intake space like most others have done

in the end... refill coolant with engine ice after flushing at running temps with distilled water and vinegar 1/2 diluted ... and use an ATV on off switch you can get on ebay for a few bucks that is waterproof as the master headlamp switch. marker light is fine with 2 custom led's and a high intensity 194 base led Super Bright LEDs - Store
get the wire harness while you are at it
Relay Harnesses from The Retrofit Source Inc
so you can use your factory high/low beam switch, plus it is a relay with a line straight to your battery
and its plug n play

questions comments concerns? yes i freeballed it!

mount your fishing rod while you are at it
Name:  P1010070.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  87.9 KB
Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
it is done. it works like a charm. i have got to say that i am impressed with how easy the install is and how well the kit works.

i mounted the ballast and relay in the fake ram air tunnelon the right side. everything fit nicely, and snug enough that it should not rattle around.
I had read on honda material somewhere that that tunnel was meant to blow air onto the rider.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
haha awesome write up Into...especially the random side notes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
cool,so in the end,what is the cost of it all.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:35 AM
haha yeah
Squid

everything was from retrofit source except the spare headlamp i found from a salvge yard on ebay for $100 (was in better condition than my original)..
everything from retrofitsource was $200 shipped.. ask for a single lamp package for a bike.
do your homework; they have different projectors, different shrouds, and different ballasts to choose from. they did question me if i knew how large the projector was compared to others. personal preference; you might like a smaller lens

have fun!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 AM
SuperBike

i forget how much my hid kit was. about $50 on ebay. i got the car kit for two lamps. that way it only cost a bit more but i got a spare ballast and a spare bulb, and i already put the bulb in.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM
haha yeah
Squid

picks after Aimed

LOW
Name:  P1010019-1-1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  9.9 KB
HIGH