Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Beaten to death: ZG DB windscreens

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Squid

GreyBeard
Beaten to death: ZG DB windscreens

Sorry, as the subject line states it has been beaten to death. Well then, for someone over six feet tall does the " bubble " really decrease head buffeting by any noticeable margin? I understand fit and finish to be excellent. My SH is red, the faster color, I'm thinking clear or light smoke would look best. Rants and raves are welcome.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Beaten to death: ZG DB windscreens

I've had a ZG DB on for a while now, and haven't noticed any difference with buffeting. I'm 5'11", and it did change the wind noise I hear; it made a slight whistle on my faceshield go away, but that's all.
The dark(!) tint does shade my tach on really sunny days, making it a bit easier to see; and the "bump" makes it easier to see the very top of the tach, but it isn't up there very often anyway.
I've read DBs were designed to give a racer more "helmet room" (out of the airstream) when they crouch over the tank.
Maybe a touring screen is what you need?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Squid

GreyBeard

102dals,
Although I do tour on my Hawk, ZG's touring screen is visually unappealing ( yeah, that matters to me ) , I'm looking for a happy medium. Glad you responded, every post I've read states it's the best thing since sliced bread. GB.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:36 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

You want a Puig style.

(I should get a commission for these)
Old 09-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Back Marker

thegreep

The most noticable difference is at full tuck, and the wind seems to have a smaller affect of deflection when its head on. Before I got the z-grav I had a day riding headlong into 60 mph winds and a gust of wind damn near cleaned me off the road. Had similar conditions after adding the z-grav and didn't get nearly the push that I had before.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite right, Greep.
It does seem to be more stable at highway speeds. I have a 25mi commute, all Interstate, w/o being blown around as much. I like mine, but have thought of trying a touring screen; I'm just not willing to give up the DB yet.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:19 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

I'm 5'10" but I have superbike bars thus I sit much more upright. Strong but smooth airflow hits me at chin level.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Squid

DavidH1172
I have a brand new ZG dark smoke if you're interested. I'd sell if for $50 plus shipping. I'm trying to send it back from where I got it from but I am still waiting for a RA number and I'm starting to get annoyed with them (More Power Racing). After taking it out of the package, I think the dark smoke is too dark for my blue SH. I also think that I would like a DB light smoke from Puig. Like I said it is brand new in perfect condition.

DavidH1172
Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Squid

drrty

I've got a 2001 Superhawk with the ZG DB windscreen. I'm 6'1", and it's almost perfect for me. Mine is the smoke color, also, and it really sets the bike off appearance-wise.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
The ZG screen I have is a cross between a DB and a ST. It has the shape of a large single bubble without the lip of a ST. Coverage is great. I'm not a fan of the DB cause of the line from the rise.
Mine is one big smooth curve. Cannot find it anywhere now. Must have stopped making them. Donno!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen

I am new to the Superhawk. My previous bike was a Suzuki V Strom. You would not believe how bad the buffeting was on that bike with the stock shield. Out of all the aftermarket shields for that bike buffeting was still an issue. People were buying 3 or 4 different shields trying to find one that worked. I finally wound up with the larger factory shield that made the Strom tolerable.

My first ride on the Superhawk.... I thought this is wonderful compared to that Strom. No buffeting. Just wind noise on my helmet. I don't think there is a buffteting issue with the Superhawk. It must be the design of your helmet. I have two helmets, both HJC and one is quieter than the other. I am thinking about buying a Shoei again because they are really quiet and well designed.

I would like to get a smoke shield for looks but have no complaints about the shape of the stock one. That Suzuki you definitely did not want to ride into the wind. The Superhawk is perfect into the wind. The air really helps hold your weight off your wrists and helps hold your helmet up. Riding with the wind can be tiring after a while. And its allways windy here.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Squid

VTR69

Have the ZG DB and the difference is noticable on the track... I can actuallly get my whole helmet behind the thing. The stocker is so low I can't get my head low enough to get out of the wind at "light speed". I like mine a lot.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:28 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

The stock wind screen is basically non-existent. Try a double bubble and you'll never look back.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:54 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point

senecagreen
I have a regular dark smoke windscreen,in great shape. It is either a ZG or a LP speedscreen. I switched it out for a ZG dark smoke DB. Better looks,better gauge visability,less buffeting. I'll take $40.00+ shipping if your interested.I'll try to post pic on bike.