Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Another naked firestorm

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Squid

quillinsmat is on a distinguished road
So i read the hell out of the forum and found out that my turn signal switch was likely the problem. took it all apart, cleaned and stuffed full of di-electric grease. still the same problem as before. So i took the tail of the bike off to get at the relay and this is what i see.

Name:  IMG_20140629_155147_zps1anaqeds.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  134.0 KB

completely unacceptable PO behavior. i don't know why i've never noticed this garbage before but i buckled down for an hour or two to straighten it all out and add spade connectors so i can at least take the fairing off.

when i took the relay off i thought i'd check out the R/R while i was there and took a pic so i could come here and reference whether or not it was any good
Name:  output_zpsex3vhpfm.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  100.2 KB
turns out it's not a mosfet and my battery doesn't like to hold a charge so i ordered a FH012aa from ebay and some plugs from ... i lost the business name lol. i just bought it like a minute ago w/e. it wasn't the guy who has dogs and asian writing on his page cause paypal wanted to charge me $950 in shipping.
anyway thats my progress today, going to honda tomorrow to see about a new relay
Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Back Marker

wannabridin is on a distinguished road
Eastern Beaver. A Canadian dude in Japan. Super quality parts, I just installed a Yamaha MOFSET R/R with his connector kit. Looks almost factory, except the R/R is quite larger than stock and I had to zip-tie it to the subframe.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Back Marker

Also, did you stagger your EBC rotors during install? I just noticed mine (Same rotors as yours) were not staggered from the PO. I know you have to do this with the galfer wave rotors.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Squid

I've never heard of staggering rotors before. What is it supposed to accomplish?
I went to the eastern beaver site and got as far as the checkout when I noticed that the shipping was $950 on the receipt so I went to another suggested supplier that I found on the forum

Last edited by quillinsmat; 06-30-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Squid

Just got back from the Honda shop. They want $80 for a new relay. Time to search the forum for the MacGyver solution.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Squid

good thing i found a cheap electronic relay at the auto parts store. otherwise i would have been out $80 for a new relay when all that was wrong was a blown fuse. Keep it simple stupid right? i replaced the fuse, futzed with some wiring i'd forgotten to connect to the rear right turn signal and voila! everything works. I have to go back to work tomorrow for a week so i won't be able to get insurance but i think maybe a nearby parking lot is gonna get a few laps
speaking of work, i found this sweet welding helmet/respirator that i've been drooling over in the Acklands Grainger catalogue at a pawn shop. its brand new and i got it for less than a third the retail price. i took it home gave and gave it a soapy bath to get it ready for tomorrow. hopefully it's as nice as i want it to be.

Name:  20140701_142549_zpstquingrt.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  101.5 KB
Name:  20140701_142542_zps9vjwphva.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  105.4 KB
Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Back Marker

badass find there!!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Squid

Ya so far so good. It's lighter than my powered respirator helmet and does a better job with the smoke.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Squid

the pilot mix screws i ordered from jack flash showed up yesterday. needless to say i was pretty excited. heres the packaging to keep them straight during shipping
Name:  output_zpsfwj4iflf.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  63.3 KB

and this is them in all their glory
Name:  output_zpsmh1c3op5.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  47.9 KB

now to go out and install them
Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by quillinsmat
I've never heard of staggering rotors before. What is it supposed to accomplish?
I went to the eastern beaver site and got as far as the checkout when I noticed that the shipping was $950 on the receipt so I went to another suggested supplier that I found on the forum
The staggering is supposed to stop pulsating from dual brakes that are in phase. Galfer recommends it, but I've never seen anything for EBC's that say the same.

Also, Eastern Beaver says on his site that he has a minimum order value and to keep people for buying, the invoice system charges a ludicrous amount for shipping. Once you hit the minimum ($20, I believe), shipping goes down to where it should be. He's living in Japan and it gets here fast. I ordered my R/R connector kit and some of the nice heat shrink from him, really high quality stuff.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Squid

I googled staggered rotors after your previous post and then checked the bike. The ebc rotors can't be staggered. The bolt holes all line up symmetrically with the highs and lows of the wave so if you turn it you get the same pattern.

Now that you mention it I remember seeing the minimum order thing on eastern beavers website. It makes sense since he lives in Japan. I ended up ordering from another supplier anyway though. Hopefully it all goes smoothly
Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Squid
Squid

SXRguyinMA is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the thread necro but where did you get those Gilles rearsets? I had a set on my TLR and LOVED them. I looked for some for my new Hawk but couldn't find any :/
Old 06-09-2015, 08:26 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
whaccessories.com has them but they are a pretty penny... check out danmoto, half the price or less and work just as well
Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Squid
Squid

SXRguyinMA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scottiemann
whaccessories.com has them but they are a pretty penny... check out danmoto, half the price or less and work just as well
I actually saw the danmoto ones they look nice. Now if only I could find some Gilles-style chain adjusters with the hooks like I had on my TLR I'll be a happy man lol
Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
drop an RC51 swinger on there and I'm sure you could find them... never seen them for a SH