Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Another H.I.D. question.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Squid

mrmhrm9598 is on a distinguished road
Another H.I.D. question.

I am probably gonna get raked over the coals for asking but does anyone make a simple H.I.D. kit for a 98 SH? I have read many postings and only seem to find D.I.Y.S. methods. I may be living in a fantasy world but I would like to find a simply kit for my bike. It also amazes me that lower fairings are so expensive for our bikes. Most that I find are $400+. Anyway if anyone can send me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I am sure that I will ask many stupid questions before I am done with my bike.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Well the only thing to keep in mind is that the SH was not all that popular of a bike when it came out (disappointing I know!) but the aftermarket stuff that isn't quite in-line with the average rider (ie, exhausts, jetting, seats, windscreens) is a little more challenging to find.

That's why you'll see a lot of DIY projects is because it is either way to expensive to be mass produced (ie. making a lot of nice, integrated projector bolt on headlight bucket for a motorcycle that people didn't like) or it just doesn't make sense for anyone to buy it like that (ie. some of the bikes on here =p).

There are a lot of really good walk-through on this site and your knowledge of what you're doing doesn't have to be all that extensive.

Getting the headlight bucket is actually realllly reallllly simple. I did mine with a blowdrier and some patience.

SO! to sum it up, you are unlikely to find a direct swap for this particular endeavor.
However, I would recommend talking to Matt at THE RETROFIT SOURCE about getting something done with your own hands.

As a reminder, you have an H4 bulb in there (this denotes the mounting pattern of the bulb) and TRS does do half orders. What you'll need is pretty much 1/2 the quantity of everything on this page, that's close to $150 out the door and a really good learning experience.

There's atleast 10 guys on here that I can think off of the top of my head that have done this retrofit and have brilliant input.

If you need some input from a newb with a couple of tricks that I discovered then I'm always here for PMs too!

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:21 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I'm gonna say search.

Search for HID, and look for GixxerJohn. He was offering to do HID conversions for us, for a reasonable price. He was asking an average $350, and the price could go up if you wanted LEDs in the light, or other unique stuff.

That is the easiest way to do it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:38 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bass4dude
As a reminder, you have an H4 bulb in there (this denotes the mounting pattern of the bulb) and TRS does do half orders. What you'll need is pretty much 1/2 the quantity of everything on this page, that's close to $150 out the door and a really good learning experience.

There's atleast 10 guys on here that I can think off of the top of my head that have done this retrofit and have brilliant input.
!
+1 Gonna be hard to find a bolt on solution, and whatever you do, don't just buy an HID bulb replacement kit- that causes more problems than it solves. You want to do a retrofit, I've also dealt with The Retrofit Source and found them more than helpful and some of the better customer service that I've dealt with recently.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Squid

Thanks guys. How can I get in touch with the retrofit source?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

E-mail them or phone them. You want the Morimoto mini H1 or 2DS- they will fit in your bike the best and have a Hi/Low beam switch. Tell them what you're doing and they'll set ya up.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Squid

Thanks so much guys.