Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

pics

Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Shayne's 1998 Firestorm

Well, here is two years of work, and about $20k. The pics I took are high rsolution, so I had to reduce them a lot to get them on here, which I didn't have to do on the Australian forum. Really they are too small to see all the detail work I have done, as I have spent a lot of time removing cast marks, and dressing welds which you won't see in these small pics.

Oh well!! Maybe one day I will get some bigger one's on here some how.

Actually, I think this is what Nuhawk told me to do, so this should give you some better pics. Thought this would be worth a try after I went to bed!

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Frontview.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ontcloseup.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...Ridersview.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...trcloseup2.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...qtrcloseup.jpg
Old 02-16-2007, 06:15 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
I like the Blue! but blue is my fav.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:20 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks sweet.... I really like the mirrors with turn signals.... where did you get those?

J.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 PM
SuperSport

Mirrors are a custom job, lots of work in making them. Every mirror with an blinker in it I could find was not suitable to fit on the VTR because of the mounting angle. Nothing I found would fit, so I decided to modify as set of these French (I think) made units.

The mirrors are standard or course, but I had to use the Honda mounts and re-shape the mirror stem, re-route the wiring (tricky), and then re-paint them.

They look good, but were a nasty job! If you were keen to do something similar, it may pay to look around yourself, as you might find an easier option.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Beautiful blue color. And painting the chin fairing black makes the bike look so much cleaner.

Didn't the Speedzilla forum have a groupbuy on turn signal mirrors awhile back?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:48 PM
SuperSport

That is where I got these from. But as you buy them they are ok, not great, so I reworked them.

In stock form they stick up like antlers!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
WOW! - stunning! That is the look - three colors - all in balanced usage - terrific! I got to the third picture (the big ones) and thought it was too perfect to ride. I'm not sure I would - outstanding job - truly one of the best.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:40 PM
SuperSport

Thanks very much. I have made some concessions during the build so that it was usable on the street. I have been practical in regards to certain things, rather than go for a "show bike" look. Main one would be the use of powder coating to protect the aluminium. I didn't see the point in building something that I couldn't get dirty, otherwise it could look better. And instead of things like rearsets that look flash, I have kept the stock pegs to be more comfortable. I didn't want a show pony, this one is to ride.

As for the paint on the fairing, it is all one colour, which is a pearl. It is hard to photograph actually, as some pics don't show the true effect. It is a Ford Aust colour called "Blueprint". Is it the fairing you thought was 3 colours, or did you mean that the engine and frame are the contrast?

The black engine paint looks really good, but you can't take a photo of it!!! It looks terrible in the photos, I dunno how the pro photographers do it. It is the same type of paint you see on Harley engines, called "Wrinkle Finish".
Old 02-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Is it the flash you are using?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:35 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shayne
As for the paint on the fairing, it is all one colour, which is a pearl. It is hard to photograph actually, as some pics don't show the true effect. It is a Ford Aust colour called "Blueprint". Is it the fairing you thought was 3 colours, or did you mean that the engine and frame are the contrast?

The black engine paint looks really good, but you can't take a photo of it!!! It looks terrible in the photos, I dunno how the pro photographers do it. It is the same type of paint you see on Harley engines, called "Wrinkle Finish".
I meant the three colors on the whole bike. The blue is outstanding, the black which I think looks very rich and the chrome, polished aluminum - silver stuff. Getting that balance right and in the right places without looking cut up or spotty is my goal and you have come very close to the mark with your bike. I really like the shade of blue. If I had a Corvette or a 911 that would be the color - it just looks slippery fast!

It's good to hear that you can ride it. It almost looks too good. I think the use of coatings to make the bike easier to clean is a real heads-up move. Certainly most of us want those pedastel good looks but maintaining it can be a major headache with the stock finishes. I didn't do much studio stuff when I was in the business but I think the device used on black surfaces to give them a bit of illumination is called a soft box. Ask around and someone can explain how to do it. I would try here but it's really one of those "show & tell" things. It's next to impossible with one strobe on the camera. It would take at least two.

Regardless, I think your pictures look great and I'm glad you got at least one of the methods down for posting them up. The more you mess with it the more flexibility you'll learn.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:40 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
Is it the flash you are using?
I took the pics with no flash, but I think you and Nuhawk are on the right track, it would be the light. Anyhow it's god enough to show you boys my ride.

As for cleaning it, I shall know that next week. I went for a ride today and it was wet, so it is dirty now!

Should be no problem, just wash and chamois off. It won't need polishing. Love the clear powdercoat over the ally.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Squid

mattjoshmeg is on a distinguished road
Hi Shayne,
Wondered how long it would be before I stumbled across a Ozfirestorm member Here. Nice pics of a job well done.
Matt
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Squid

V-Raptor is on a distinguished road
I'm speechless, Shayne! Incredible bike. Cleanest and most refined VTR I've seen yet. Great job!

Gary
Old 03-18-2007, 07:28 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Bike is amazing Shayne, very clean, sporty and classy

Just curious, have you run it on teh dyno since you have modded the engine?

cheers
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Back Marker

cb21983
What exhaust system are u running? Also are your side covers and clutch cover painted or is that powdercoat? I LOVE it BTW!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:02 AM
SuperSport

Thanks guys.

The engine is painted, not powdercoated. The exhaust is a combination of Standard Moriwaki Ti headers and Staintune mufflers. The Mufflers mounts I made myself, and are integrated with the rear sub-frame. I then had custom mid pipes made up to link them together.

As for the engine, I have had it on the dyno, but power figures are quite different to what most people get, so I think the dyno reads different to a lot of others. Can't remember what type it was.

I think it made about 100hp, and the operator, who is a well known tuner and twin racer, made comment that it produced the most torque of any VTR he had done, which I think was about 68 ft/lb. As you can see these numbers are quite low.

In real world testing, I have a friend with a VTR with a filter, jet kit, slip ons, and 15 tooth countershaft. It has been dyno tuned, and runs very nicely, but mine kills it. I was running 15/43 gearing, but found I couldn't use full throttle until I was in third gear, so I went to 16/43. With my engine that feels good. It was designed to be a torque producer, and give good throttle response, rather than high power output, so it seems to have turned out well.

I am curious what the peak power figure would be with the baffles out of the mufflers and my other intake set-up though. Might try it one day just for curiousity. But the baffles need to stay in for my liking, otherwise I find it to noisy with my Ti pipes and Staintune mufflers, which are louder than some I think.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Squid

dwhite is on a distinguished road
Nice bike by far)))
Old 05-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Back Marker

saxman is on a distinguished road
Very, very nicely done!!!