Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Nude Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 AM
imp
Squid

imp is on a distinguished road
Nude Hawk

Hi! been lurking for awhile, finally got my 'hawk roadable, time to show it off~

It's a salvaged 2005 I got in a straight trade for a wr426. I'd ridden a 999 and RC51 before, but this is my first immersive V-twin experience. Overall I'm fairly satisfied-- The engine is fantastic, the ergos are okay, and the looks aren't bad.

On the other hand the geometry is lazy, the fuel economy/range is poor, and the ground clearance is unacceptable. The looks aren't good, either...

I took off the cracked fairing/windscreen and bent stay, and replaced them with a delkevic universal headlight. The idea is that the buffeting will keep me out of heinous speed most of the time, and so far it seems to work. The gauges still aren't sorted, but it hasn't bothered me. I may spring for a trailtech computer.

'Mods' planned-- ground clearance! The pegs aren't really the problem, it's the exhaust that makes me pucker. I'd like to get a high exit exhaust, if it can be had without massive expense. Stock RC would be cool. Geometry is another issue. I'd like to get the head angle and wheelbase more aggressive, and massage the suspension to match. My first temporary move will be throwing some washers under the shock mount to kick the bike up a bit. The brakes seem fine so far with a fresh bleed and HH pads. Cosmetically... I really don't care. I love the old man colors, and the side radiators don't bother me. I like the line of the seat and tail, and if I manage to get the rear end kicked up higher, I kind of want to chop the subframe (or make a new al one) to put the seat back at normal height.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to members who helped me diagnose my breathing problem!

-Ian
Attached Thumbnails Nude Hawk-bike2.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Move the radiator. I can't stand how a naked Hawk looks with the radiators hanging out the sides. Ruins the effect for me.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
Move the radiator. I can't stand how a naked Hawk looks with the radiators hanging out the sides. Ruins the effect for me.
That doesn't bother me that much. Have you seen the radiators and plumbing on a Ducati Streetfighter...in person?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by imp
'Mods' planned-- ground clearance! The pegs aren't really the problem, it's the exhaust that makes me pucker. I'd like to get a high exit exhaust, if it can be had without massive expense. Stock RC would be cool.
Well high mounts as pretty much just for looks..... The actual ground clearance issue is the header. It will touch down in right handers long before the mufflers come in contact. That is why the true racing VTRs had a different header and oil pan to move the exhaust to the center line of the bike.

Originally Posted by imp
Geometry is another issue. I'd like to get the head angle and wheelbase more aggressive, and massage the suspension to match. My first temporary move will be throwing some washers under the shock mount to kick the bike up a bit.
You should actually wait until you have the suspension sorted before you start making geometry changes. After it is set up for your weight you can go up to .25" (or a little over 6mm) in the rear and pull the forks up 10mm in the triple before you start having any stability issues (at least mine worked well like that with no need for a steering damper).

Originally Posted by imp
The brakes seem fine so far with a fresh bleed and HH pads.

The stock brakes are rather weak. Do a search and you will find a list of calipers & master cylinders the can be installed, with minor modification, that will greatly improve the braking.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
That doesn't bother me that much. Have you seen the radiators and plumbing on a Ducati Streetfighter...in person?
Yes and it looks pretty good as far as plumbing goes. That is what you could aspire to.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Yes and it looks pretty good as far as plumbing goes. That is what you could aspire to.
I was meaning the opposite about the Streetfighter. I think it looks messy. I understand it's not supposed to be in the same category as the Monster, but the Monster is a much better/cleaner looking bike IMO.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 PM
imp
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
You should actually wait until you have the suspension sorted before you start making geometry changes. After it is set up for your weight you can go up to .25" (or a little over 6mm) in the rear and pull the forks up 10mm in the triple before you start having any stability issues (at least mine worked well like that with no need for a steering damper).
I have the sag set in the front and new fork oil, the rear is a little ways out with the stock spring (unless I gain some weight). As far as massaging the suspension I mean relieving the valves or replacing them with a kit, or replacing the fork altogether. I'm looking for an F4i shock, I can make a longer clevis for it.

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
The stock brakes are rather weak. Do a search and you will find a list of calipers & master cylinders the can be installed, with minor modification, that will greatly improve the braking.
they are only relatively weak. I've gotten used to the effort needed at the lever and I haven't had terrible fade so far. Until recently I had a 600rr track bike with the non-radial mount calipers and a higher ratio MC from a zx10. You could brake with one finger fairly easily- my point only being that I know how it could be versus what it is and I'm not bothered.

I'm sorry to members who don't like the radiators. I don't know what to tell you-- except that I'm not going through the effort of stuffing one under my seat! Too many other pointless projects...
Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
I like the look of the lateral radiators on the VTR (SH), mines also naked with the lateral radiators.
I kind of like it.
Good looking bike you got there.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by imp
.I'm sorry to members who don't like the radiators. I don't know what to tell you-- except that I'm not going through the effort of stuffing one under my seat! Too many other pointless projects...
Like I said, I don't have a problem with it. I like the old school round headlight and the bar end mirrors. I think it has the desired effect.

As far as the radiators go, My first bike was a CX500, modded for canyon racing, and radiators don't get much more obvious than on that bike. It looked like a cut down car radiator.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM
imp
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
As far as the radiators go, My first bike was a CX500, modded for canyon racing, and radiators don't get much more obvious than on that bike. It looked like a cut down car radiator.
Haha I don't remember where the radiator is on one of those, I'll have to look it up. There's a guy near my work (irvine ca/santa ana) who is pretty big in the cx500 scene, his name escapes me though. He's had a lot of them and repairs them specifically.

I'm thinking of actually painting the radiators silver like the earlier years. are the grills over the top black?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 PM
imp
Squid

Originally Posted by luis saleiro
I like the look of the lateral radiators on the VTR (SH), mines also naked with the lateral radiators.
I kind of like it.
Good looking bike you got there.
Thanks! I think the after market seat helps the look. The seat has this square hole in the rear though; my best guess is that it's for some kind of backrest? I think it could be a good spot to mount a goofy flag in an imaginary parade... just as soon as there's something I care enough about! Old Glory is gauche (to billow from a motorcycle), the Jolly Roger is passe, and I'm not a fan of any specific sports team.

Anybody seen a Corbin standard bearing mod?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Nice.

My bike looks almost exactly like yours at this point. What are you doing for a speedo? I'm using a Forerunner and am pretty happy so far, but I sorta kinda miss the temp gauge.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:31 AM
imp
Squid

Ignorance is bliss. I do miss the tach and trip meter, aside from that it's okay. I'll work something out with a trailtech vapor or similar.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 AM
SuperSport

Man, I get way too paranoid without a speedo! Nice thing about the Garmin is it keeps track of miles, too, so you know when to gas up. Those Vapors are wicked nice, though.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 PM
imp
Squid

Yeah I think I'll have a look into a GPS, since you mention it. I love going on really long twisty back road rides, and though I have a good sense of direction the GPS could step up my exploration!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM
SuperSport

Here's what I'm using:

http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/Garmin_Forerunner_201.htm

I got the one that recharges. It fits almost right between the handlebar mounts. It's a hell of a lot lighter than the standard clocks.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
imp
Squid

cool! I haven't seen something like that. I could use it for mountain biking too, it looks like...
Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 PM
SuperSport

Yep and running, too.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
There are a handful of nakeds which leave the radiators stock that don't bother me at all... this is one, Dr. Schmuckenstein's was another... Luis' bike looks fine too. But then, there are some others that just don't look right and I don't know why, can't put my finger on it (as Ween says)...

Anyway, nice bike Imp! Looks good...